Millhouses Esporta / Virgin Active whats happening?

Went to Broadfield for two years and loved it. Only left because it was too far from my home. Went to the one at Archer Road once when pool at Broadfield was closed during refurb and hated it. Dark and gloomy - like working out in a cross between Frankenfurter's Castle from the Rocky Horror Show and Downton Abbey!!! Can't understand all the criticism. Feel sad for the Archer Road staff - at least one of whom moved there from Broadfield - and hope that everything works out for them.

I totally agree that the facilities at Broadfield Road are far, far superior to Archer Road. Broadfield Road has had a small fortune spent on it while Archer Road had nothing and was in need of a significant upgrade.

Which is what a lot of us are annoyed about - we paid more to be members of Archer Road, and all that money went on the refurbs at Broadfield Road.

But Archer Road has always been a lot calmer and more chilled. There is more room in the gym area too - everything not crammed on top of everything else.

And not as many 'goons'.

TRAMPOLINE MARKET BOUNCING WITH NEW VENUE IN SHEFFIELD

Two leading operators have announced the openings of a new trampoline park on Archer Road.

Oxygen Freejumping signed for its 10th site in the UK ahead of launches in Sheffield and Croydon, while Gravity Fitness has secured a deal for its second indoor trampoline park in Hull.

The company has secured sites at Colonnades Leisure Park in Croydon and Archer Road in Sheffield and said it is investing over £11.5 million into new trampoline parks across the UK in the next twelve months.

Oxygen has signed a 15 year lease on a 29,000 sq ft unit in Purley Way, Croydon. It has also agreed a deal with Virgin Active to convert a 42,000 sq ft gym at Archer Road, Sheffield into “the ultimate trampoline park playground”. The company has assigned a sub-lease with 21 years remaining.

Work will start on both sites this summer, with openings planned for next year.

David Stalker, chief executive of Oxygen said: “We are on a drive to secure more sites in key locations and to bring our mix of fun, adrenaline and training to every corner of the UK. We received £10 million of funding early this year and are in discussions with investors to achieve our aim of 30 sites by the end of 2017. This is an exciting and fast paced sector that has plenty of room for growth.”

From Sheffield Online on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/onlinesheffield/?fref=nf

I totally agree that the facilities at Broadfield Road are far, far superior to Archer Road. Broadfield Road has had a small fortune spent on it while Archer Road had nothing and was in need of a significant upgrade.

Which is what a lot of us are annoyed about - we paid more to be members of Archer Road, and all that money went on the refurbs at Broadfield Road.

But Archer Road has always been a lot calmer and more chilled. There is more room in the gym area too - everything not crammed on top of everything else.

And not as many 'goons'.

as i said before we are not going to Broadfield, have decided either on the Double tree Hilton spa club at meadowhead or the Nuffield at Chesterfield which gives access to the old greens site nr ecclesall road , going to try both this week and see which we prefer. apparently a lot of virgin members are not going to Broadfield.

as i said before we are not going to Broadfield, have decided either on the Double tree Hilton spa club at meadowhead or the Nuffield at Chesterfield which gives access to the old greens site nr ecclesall road , going to try both this week and see which we prefer. apparently a lot of virgin members are not going to Broadfield.

I was speaking to one of the staff there last week, apparently there are a lot of people at Broadfield Road who are unhappy at the pending influx of Archer Road members and who have said they will be leaving, and a lot of Archer Road members who won't be moving. So it won't be two full clubs merging.

However, what the staff member told me is that this was anticipated, and was actually what Virgin were hoping for as they know Broadfield Road can't cope with everyone.

So overall those of us who move/stay without complaining are effectively being 'cherry picked', and the rest are just getting a 'we don't care' two finger salute.

Hello does anyone no or have any insight to what is happening with the old Virgin Gym at millhouses it closed well over a year ago to be turned into a Oxygen Freejumping trampoline park ... it was shut june 30th 2016...

I tried getting intouch with Oxygen freejumping because I wanted to no if they were keeping the pool and leisure side , eventually did a long time ago end of last year and there reply was

''Hi not sure of the construction plans but as far as I know we have taken over the whole site''

a friend who works at pure gym told me told me nothing is happening with it not much work has been done looks like it has just been borded up.

I used to be a member of Esporta, before it became Virgin. I thought it was a good gym back then, one of the best in Sheffield.

I think I was working down South and wanted to join a gym that I could go to whilst working away from home, but still be able to go to when home in Sheffield, so I joined Virgin at Broadfield Road.

The arrangement allowed me to "guest" at the old Esporta on Archer Road, once a month I think it was, but my membership remained at Broadfield Road.

It was very interesting the contrast between the two. Both Virgin gyms, but a very different feel and clientele.

The Archer road gym tended to be an older, white, more middle class crowd. The place was much quieter. The equipment wasn't as good as at Broadfield. Not as up to date or high tec. It was darker inside too.

I enjoyed making the occasional visit to Archer Road and it's slightly nearer to where I live than Broadfield - but I understand memberships were more expensive there and I never really understood why, because Broadfield offers a lot more imo.

Yes there are more goons at Broadfield though, that's correct. But there's also lots more stunning young ladies to look at, and that makes it worthwhile for me. (And I'm sure those young ladies are thinking - "there's lots more handsome and sophisticated mature men at Broadfield" - thinking of me of course! ;)

At its best Esporta was probably my favourite gym and I have been a member of many.

Very quiet good quality equipment amazing venue and some really good pt's,the classes were the best I have been to with real attention to the individual rather than some of the others I have been to where you might as well have a you tube screen at the front!

The pool at times was empty particularly in the daytime.

Can not get on with Virgin at Broadfield as its to busy for my liking.

Esporta was brilliant never liked broadfield was really dissapointed when millhouses shut I enjoyed doing a workout then going for a swim after it felt like a really nice atmosphere there I knew all the staff always were friendly and didn't have a problem with any of the members there great memories

So true about the staff a lot of them were seriously into their sports rather than just trying to make money I had some great banter with them.

So does anyone know anything about what is happening to the site ?

What is happening to old ESPORTA gym?

Went past yesterday all closed up

The gym staff have all been told today they are loosing their jobs.It will open as a new gym and the new owners don't want to keep any staff on. It will close at the end of June.An email or a letter will be sent out soon.

I love Broadfield. Only ever went to the dark and dreary other one once. Like working out in a cross between Downton Abbey and Frankenfurter's Castle from the Rocky Horror Show! ]