How do Sheffield road planners get it so wrong?

26b-6

Sheffield council do not like motor vehicles - end of.

The whole idea of stopping the motorist at every junction is to prevent the outlets to the M1 and inlets to the city centre being overwhelmed. That's why ring roads are never staight, so they can cue a longer volume of traffic up.

For me? The price is crazy, and although I haven't done the maths, I suspect doesn't compare to the price of the car, considering I would have three fares to pay. Taking that further, I drove to Bristol for work last week (320 miles) which cost in fuel about £50. Obviously there are additional costs in terms of wear and tear, insurance (although that's only £25 a month) etc, but the cheapest train I could find was about £200 return, booked quite a way in advance. Because I didn't know if the meeting would go ahead until the day before, it would have been about £400 on the day.

Public transport needs to be reasonably priced if it is to compete.

Then there's the actual experience, which in my experience is hideous. I've used buses a handful of times over the last two years (maybe 10 times) but each time I've been subjected to at least one chav playing music on his phone, at least one person who frankly smells, and a shocking lack of room/comfort. I'm 6'3", and can't actually fit on the majority of bus seats, without sitting sideways.

Then there's the time it takes. As mentioned, mainly this is because of the route I would have to take. I'd need a bus to town, to Broomhill, then back to town, then down to Brammall Lane. Currently, heading to pick up from school (which I'll do in about 40 mins time) it takes me the best part of 15 minutes to school, perhaps 10. Getting the bus to town would be that alone, then waiting for and getting the bus to school to pick up would be another 20 or so. It would take at least 40 minutes. I couldn't make it work in my employment.

That's a few of the reasons. Plus, I like the car. I like having my own music on (not through headphones). I like the ability to stop as I please, to change route as I see fit, not to rely on someone else's timetable.

There would be nothing, aside from losing my license (and I never drink and drive, so that won't be a risk), that would make me consider public transport.

I would actually love to run to work, and probably will in school holidays (or at least run from work - sweat issue).

For other to make a fair comparison of costs and conveniance.

If travelling from Broomhill to Bramall Lane by bus you do not change in town. Catch the 51 straight through.

Anytime return to Bristol are bookable on the day online or at the station and cost £205. Much cheaper fares available in advance which include the night before. Book now £150 for travel tomorrow-return 1st class.

Crosscountry trains have some cheaper fares on the day if booked online.

yet i drove to work this morning, no problems at all...

(even negotiating brookhill roundabout at 8:20 - barely having to stop.)

Well, 1 unspecified anecdotal journey, that's it. The argument is over. :hihi:

---------- Post added 10-10-2017 at 07:53 ----------

Sentence two isn't helpful.

If it were as viable as you suggest, people would choose it over their cars. I suggest they don't, as is demonstrated by the number of motorists clogging the roads.

You realise that thousands of people DO chose it though. So your conclusion is demonstrably false.

I'll be walking down to catch the tram any minute, leaving 2 cars at home.

As for the people choosing to use it - there's a lot of people who can't drive you know.

I'm fairly sure that a majority of people on the tram with me today will be able to drive and have left a car at home or parked in the park and ride.

Edited by Cyclone

• 5 months later...

From the signage, 'No stopping, local buses only', with the bus stop yet to be added, who's bright idea was it, not only to downgrade Charter Row from a 4 lane carriageway, (2 into the city & 2 out), to a narrowed, 2 lane carriageway with speed humps but now add what appears to be a bus stop at the narrowest part & on a bend as well?

It doesn't take a genius to predict that a a bus pulled into the stop at the back of Debenhams / The Light cinema, will cause a tailback.