Abusive passenger kicked off Supertram after bigoted tirade

Cyclone, You don't have to be a parent it's a personality trait............ Paula I agree with all you've said, however I do feel that the number of people who display this sort of behaviour in public is few and far between, the way I see it is we have more important issues in society today to worry about.

Oh, there are undoubtedly bigger issues - global warming, a dangerous mentally unstable lunatic running America, etc etc.

You can't ignore other issues because of those though, even though they are more serious. You wouldn't ignore a mugging for instance, because there had been someone shot down the road.

All those actions are punishable in law. Correct me if Im wrong but words are only punishable if they have caused distress. The guy on the tram was a nasty piece of work but as far as I can see the woman he was spouting his drivel at was not in the slightest bit perturbed by it and continued to film him threatening to upload the video to You Tube.

All those actions are punishable in law. Correct me if Im wrong but words are only punishable if they have caused distress. The guy on the tram was a nasty piece of work but as far as I can see the woman he was spouting his drivel at was not in the slightest bit perturbed by it and continued to film him threatening to upload the video to You Tube.

I think some of this applies to his bevaiour - especially a) of the second part.

"In England and Wales the Public Order Act 1986 prohibits, by its Part 3, expressions of racial hatred, which is defined as hatred against a group of persons by reason of the group's colour, race, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins. Section 18 of the Act says:

A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—

(a) they intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or

(b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby.

Offences under Part 3 carry a maximum sentence of seven years imprisonment or a fine or both.[6]

The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 inserted Section 4A into the Public Order Act 1986. That part prohibits anyone from causing alarm or distress. Section 4A states:

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he— (a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or (b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress."

He threatened to knock out the black guy on his way off the tram, that's a crime whether or not the guy felt perturbed.

Some drunk guy mouthing off to someone clearly provoking him so she could get her video of fame. He said he'd knock the guy out (no need to say he was black), he didn't and got off the tram. Big deal. People put too much emphasis on being offended. Hang him!! Yeah he shouldnt have said what he did but its a non story

He is crazy and needs assistance, law will not make him sane again.

But it might help him control his behaviour in future. Since when has being drunk, having ill informed opinions and displaying loutish behaviour been evidence of mental illness ?