The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

and we will be rid of you, your whingeing and your inability to accept that the majority are allowed to want something you don't

The majority, as shown by most polls since 2016 do not want to go down this route. It is almost 2 years since the referendum and a hell of a lot has changed since then, largely down to a realisation of what a total mess the whole thing is!

Get on board what though ?

At the moment, it seems like it's tickets on the Titanic that are being offered.

nah they are still running blindly around on the harbour deck, wondering which ship to get onto, not finding the correct one

as above, on board with what?

here's 2 simple choices :

staying in the Customs Union (A), or a hard Irish border? (B)

paying the divorce bill ©, or losing access to the fantastic science/research funding (D)

which boat am i getting on?

AC

BC

AD

BD

?

there's 4 different 'brexits' right there.

we were definitely told that we would NOT be leaving the common market, but now it's looking likely.

we were definitely told that we'd retain access to the research funding/cooperation, but we won't if we walk away without honouring our commitments.

and what about agricultural subsidies?

are we paying into the CAP?

or replacing it with something of our own (at Huuuuge expense)

or leaving it to market forces? (which is what the US will demand if we want a trade deal)

can anyone tell me what i'm supposed to be cheering for?

or is just a demand for un-critical jingoism?

So after every election, those who voted labour should leave?

Here is a better idea, you and the rest of the brexiters - make the damn thing work without destroying the country!

Heres an even better idea - why don't they leave, instead of trying to ruin our country?

<...>

we were definitely told that we'd retain access to the research funding/cooperation, but we won't if we walk away without honouring our commitments.

Little-known fact (on here or in the MSM generally): for every £1 of its total EU contribution affected to EU research initiatives, in 2017 the UK was getting £1.24 back in EU research grant funding.

But well, you know, when you keep hearing “they need us more than we need them” often enough...

;)

or is just a demand for un-critical jingoism?
Save for unbeliever way-back-when, I haven’t seen anything else from Brexiteers on here. Edited by L00b
added link

Heres an even better idea - why don't they leave, instead of trying to ruin our country?

Let me get this right, you want 48% of the UK population to leave the country?

Or do you just want silence people who don't agree with you?

And how are these nay-Sayers ruining the country - I've got sod all power!

Or do you just want silence people who don't agree with you?

And how are these nay-Sayers ruining the country - I've got sod all power!

I meant the 52%, not the 48%. Specifically the subset of the 52% who keep telling people they should leave the country if they won't support brexit.

I meant the 52%, not the 48%. Specifically the subset of the 52% who keep telling people they should leave the country if they won't support brexit.

Gotcha:thumbsup:

I'm a wishy-washy liberal at heart and want us all to get along, and I'm sure if there was a vaguely cohesive plan we might get behind it. But there isn't.

As scary as it sounds, this whole debacle wouldn't be happening under Blair or thatcher. They'd have either ignored the result altogether or just ploughed on and sorted something out.

Strictly speaking 75%, as only 25% of the population voted to leave.

Gotcha:thumbsup:

I'm a wishy-washy liberal at heart and want us all to get along, and I'm sure if there was a vaguely cohesive plan we might get behind it. But there isn't.

As scary as it sounds, this whole debacle wouldn't be happening under Blair or thatcher. They'd have either ignored the result altogether or just ploughed on and sorted something out.

The whole thing is a Tory civil war being fought in the open.

Nationalism is at the root of most conflicts.

The dilution of borders,tariffs,sovereignty and advancement of cooperation between countries is essential to peace

Interesting post. Trouble is, no politician in this country that I can remember has ever said this quite so forcefully.

And therein lies the problem. We are being taken towards no borders and lack of sovereignty by stealth, as we have been since we joined the EEC. Yes, the ambition for "ever closer union" has always been there in the aims of the EU, but it has always been very, very much downplayed by our politicians and media.

Still, I suppose that when you are standing for election in a nation state then slagging off nationalism before issuing a clarion call of "Vote for me! I will ensure that we give away powers and open the borders!" is somewhat of a difficult sell.

So obviously lies were the way to go.

Edited by Harrystottle

The whole thing is a Tory civil war being fought in the open.

And across the road from a Labour one.