The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Ah, just like any other spend by the government then including the £150+ billion that Trident will cost. So you now expect taxes to go up to pay for this then?

Taxes might go up, they might go down. But whatever happens that (currently) £40bn has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is us - me, you and every other tax payer. No avoiding it. Typically it will mean some kind of reduction in services.

Trident is a bad idea too but let’s start another thread about that.

Ah, just like any other spend by the government then including the £150+ billion that Trident will cost. So you now expect taxes to go up to pay for this then?

About that cost of Trident. When did £30bn become £150+bn?

Also, you know that the cost of Trident can't be spent on other public services if you magically decided to not have Trident right? You can't for example spend that money on the NHS. That money is going to be spent on defence regardless because it meets our NATO obligations of 2% GDP on defence. So we are going to spend this money anyway, so what better way to spend it than on a project that is made in the UK, supports thousands of highly skilled UK based jobs and maintains our nation's expertise in nuclear energy. It is because of the submarines' programme that the UK is at the bleeding edge of SMR technologies.

You are narrow minded and as oblivious as ever that what is really involved.

About that cost of Trident. When did £30bn become £150+bn?

The figure of £30bn is just an estimate of the cost of the 4 submarines that's all.

Also, you know that the cost of Trident can't be spent on other public services if you magically decided to not have Trident right?

Who said it could.;)

Looks like the UK is losing the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

Ordinary people vote in a party heavily influenced by elites.

The party heavily influenced by elites then deletes their charter of rights.

Quelle surprise

Leaving the EU is a one-off event.

The future is (as always) unknown.

So let's see what it brings. Most guesses about anything in the future tend to be wrong!

Well that's a convincing and rational argument! Thanks, UKIP!

So who is marching to Ted the traitors tune, come on hands up,

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/882881/Brexit-EU-secret-document-truth-British-public

Not good that was hidden from the public, but all the things in that document and what has happened with the EU I support in general. I honestly believe a federal Europe with individual states is the best way for future stability, increased economic growth, increased equality and far less power of corporations.

Just wondering if anyone on the Forum has changed their mind on pro or anti Brexit as some of the realities begin to emerge.

Most posters seem pretty well entrenched in their views but perhaps some have been swayed one way or the other since the referendum.

The major swing is that most Remainers at least now acknowledge the Leaving.

I assume that they will act so as to make a success of the UK's future, esp if they're MPs or in positions of power.

The major swing is that most Remainers at least now acknowledge the Leaving.

I assume that they will act so as to make a success of the UK's future, esp if they're MPs or in positions of power.

I would hope so too, and if another referendum in the future puts us back in the EU I hope the leavers offer the same integrity.

I would hope so too, and if another referendum in the future puts us back in the EU I hope the leavers offer the same integrity.

A referendum can't put us back in the EU. It would be up to the remaining EU members whether the UK are allowed back. If any application was accepted the UK would have to adopt the Euro and be part of the Schengen area. It would be ludicrous for the UK to rejoin on less favourable terms than when we left. The reality is the UK will never be part of the EU again.

Not good that was hidden from the public, but all the things in that document and what has happened with the EU I support in general. I honestly believe a federal Europe with individual states is the best way for future stability, increased economic growth, increased equality and far less power of corporations.

You can be Teds trumpeter.

A referendum can't put us back in the EU. It would be up to the remaining EU members whether the UK are allowed back. If any application was accepted the UK would have to adopt the Euro and be part of the Schengen area. It would be ludicrous for the UK to rejoin on less favourable terms than when we left. The reality is the UK will never be part of the EU again.

Ludicrous would be expecting to rejoin on the same terms we had before we left - an error similar in magnitude to expecting to keep the same trading terms after we left under hard brexit.

If the UK becomes the sick man of Europe again rejoining is a definite prospect. All the people who voted leave remembering the 1950s through rose tinted spectacles would be dead. The current youngsters who feel cheated would be their age and remember a more prosperous UK within the EU (possibly through similar rose tinted specs).