Neighbours Who Disturb Sleep

The problem is the OP has a neighbour who is making too much noise which is disturbing their sleep. Another problem seems to be there are no laws, which are coming to the aid of the OP.

Here I am, awake at dawn thanks to my neighbours. Why are some sections of society exempt from the Law and are allowed to disturb residentss in the early hours.

Sounds like a miserable situation.

If you don't get any satisfaction form the neighbours, you can try masking the sound. I previously used a big fan to make white noise, then moved onto a CD of a thunderstorm. I've since upgraded to a white noise machine -- most of them are rubbish, but I found one that works really well, see below.

CD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunderstorm-Echoes-Nature/dp/B000025662/ref=sr_1_2_twi_aud_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1494326432&sr=1-2&keywords=thunderstorm+cd

Machine: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LectroFan-Machine-Masking-Cancelling-Generator/dp/B00MY8V86Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1494326479&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=white+noise+machine&psc=1

Hope you find something that works for you.

What can the landlord do? i have tenant in one of my houses. they have friends round in the afternoon early evenings. they are not breaking any laws. what can i do?

Depends what noise they are making. I've served notice to quit before now after polite and less polite requests to tone the noise down havn't had much effect. The neighbours of my tenants have the right to quiet enjoyment as well...

The problem is the OP has a neighbour who is making too much noise which is disturbing their sleep. Another problem seems to be there are no laws, which are coming to the aid of the OP.

But we don't know what the noise is, it may be entirely reasonable and it's the OP who is being a selfish git. For exanple, I used to have a neighbour who was constantly complaining that my wife's hairdryer was too loud and that our floorboards were too squeaky.

Edited by barleycorn

But we don't know what the noise is, it may be entirely reasonable and it's the OP who is being a selfish git. For exanple, I used to have a neighbour who was constantly complaining that my wife's hairdryer was too loud and that our floorboards were too squeaky.

Exactly.

My neighbour disturbs me quite frequently, he gets up and goes to work between 12pm and 1am every day including weekends and Bank Holidays.

I'm often just dropping off to sleep or going to bed at that time,so it breaks my sleep pattern.

Exactly.

My neighbour disturbs me quite frequently, he gets up and goes to work between 12pm and 1am every day including weekends and Bank Holidays.

I'm often just dropping off to sleep or going to bed at that time,so it breaks my sleep pattern.

Ah but you (and I on occasion) sleep during the day so have no rights at all.

Ah but you (and I on occasion) sleep during the day so have no rights at all.

I wish that were true.

I have to admit my circumstances have given me no real cause for concern, i'm sure we're just as "noisy" at times that they may find inappropriate

We only ever heard our elderly neighbour when she hoovered up with her 1960s Hoover.

It wasn't until she passed away and a young couple with a child moved in that we realised how thin the walls were, we could hear their conversation and they could hear us laughing.

As the adjoining wall was a straight 7 metre wall I framed my side with soundproof wool and boarded with soundproof board and plastered it.

I did the same with the adjoining bedroom.

On New Year's Day I was up at 0530hrs for work and only realised they had an all night party when I heard someone talking and smoking outside when I got in my car.

Think it cost me about £300 but well worth it.

I could hear my neighbours have some hanky panky last week.

Far too vague IMO to really describe the problem.

Laws of course don't do things, there's a law against murder, but it won't leap out and defend you. :roll:

I used to live next to some incredibly noisy neighbours. Had parties nearly every weekend to right through to dawn. Drove me nuts. I spoke to them about it calmly and they did try, but once you've had a few pints you lose volume control. They were lovely neighbours apart from that, so I just put up with it and got ear plugs.

I now live in a really quiet area with a house with seemingly amazing soundproofing. My neighbours had a baby last year and I never heard a peep, and they've said they've never heard ours either! All my nearby neighbours are respectful to others and while we all have the odd party, we all let each other know before hand so at least we can prepare for some noise, and every shuts up well before 11pm.

You don't appreciate the quiet until it's taken away and a lack of sleep is one of the worst feelings in the world. Anyone who's sleep is disturbed has my sympathy, but unless they are really being unreasonable with their noise (and the OP isn't clear enough on that) there's little the law can do to help. People are as entitled to live their lives and that often involves some noise as you are to peace and quiet. Ear plugs do make a huge difference and you can get ones that are great for sleeping and comfortable. I often sleep through a v loud alarm clock when I'm wearing mine! If it really is unbearable then contacting 101 and making a formal complaint about noise is the way to go, but this can take time to resolve. If it's a v loud party that's causing a problem then you can contact the police saying the party is getting out of hand and that it's a breach of the peace...worth a try anyway.

Thanks for your replies. It was 3.16 this morning when it kicked off again. I did call 101 to register the complaint yet again but the perpetrators claim they have Planning Permission to open at night for all and sundry to attend Prayers.

No help from Planners or environmental health.