Buchanan drive voted most anti social in country

Have any of you listened to yourself? Talking about "breeding" as if people were animals or about genetics or people being scrubbers... Do any of you even realise what this conversation makes you look like to others?

Couldn't agree more. The vitriol poured onto disadvantaged people in this country is absolutely shocking. Says a lot more about the people making the comments than the report does about Buchanan.

What's wrong with talking about genetics (to point out that they're not relevant to this conversation)?

Couldn't agree more. The vitriol poured onto disadvantaged people in this country is absolutely shocking. Says a lot more about the people making the comments than the report does about Buchanan.

I know it's tricky to figure out from up in your ivory tower but the vast majority of folks on council/ex council estates are grand.

The people being criticised are the people that make the lives hell for the many decent residents.

These people have every advantage over 99.99% of the worlds population and they still can't get themselves together.

Also I think if you ask the many many decent people on buchanan that have to put up with the crime & anti social behaviour youd find very little sympathy for the perpatrators.

Stop pretending that you care about poor people. You only do it to pat yourself on the back. You got rumbled for this a long time ago and your crocodile tears are nauseating.

Guest makapaka
What's wrong with talking about genetics (to point out that they're not relevant to this conversation)?

There's actually a lot of studies supporting genetic impact on behaviour over upbringing.

I don't know if they're right or wrong but certain studies believe that's the case.

chav is no longer an acceptable word.

Why is it not??

Little/nothing to do with genetics. It's almost all nurture, and that comes down to education.

It's a difficult cycle to break though.

Try behavioural epigenetics (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_epigenetics)

This avoids the need to invoke eugenics, but some research suggests that attempting to change behaviour requires efforts over more than one generation. As you say, difficult.

Why don't all the people on this thread go and have a really honest conversation with their parents about stuff they got up to when they were kids. Sure, they might have been perfect little angels, but somehow I doubt it. My dad has been a fairly upstanding member of the community for my whole life. Hardly drinks, really active, does lots of charity work, helped out at the local rugby club, sat on the PTA, never had anything to do with the police in a negative way, perfect gent. Yet when he was teenager he shot air rifles at trains from a bridge on the outskirts of his village. All this rubbish about how this latest generation is terrible and the end of civilised society is just hyperbole from people who seem to have forgotten just how awful kids were in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

Why don't all the people on this thread go and have a really honest conversation with their parents about stuff they got up to when they were kids. Sure, they might have been perfect little angels, but somehow I doubt it. My dad has been a fairly upstanding member of the community for my whole life. Hardly drinks, really active, does lots of charity work, helped out at the local rugby club, sat on the PTA, never had anything to do with the police in a negative way, perfect gent. Yet when he was teenager he shot air rifles at trains from a bridge on the outskirts of his village. All this rubbish about how this latest generation is terrible and the end of civilised society is just hyperbole from people who seem to have forgotten just how awful kids were in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

Sorry, but I can't agree with that.

None of my friends randomly destroyed stuff as a child, put fireworks in bins or through people's letter boxes, dared to swear at adults or any other of the things that we see these days. I don't know anyone who did, and I lived on a council estate at the time (70s and 80s).

Why is it not??

Because it is used by people so far up themselves that they can't see their own frailties.

Why don't all the people on this thread go and have a really honest conversation with their parents about stuff they got up to when they were kids.

Hedge hopping / Cat Creeping

The occasional knock and run

Because it is used by people so far up themselves that they can't see their own frailties.

Or it's used to describe people who are happy directly affecting other people's lives in a very negative way?