Question to any electricians - extending power cable

Can any electrician give me any advice on extending a power cable.

I have a wall mounted TV but the power is a C5 Cloverleaf Power Cord. My problem is the port is not positioned very wisely on the TV (Thanks LG) and so I have to use a 90 degree connector. However I can only lay my hands on a 1.8m cable which is not long enough to reach the power socket.

I am wanting to extending the cable I have by cutting the end of one cable and the socket of another, giving me enough length. Using a connector strip would not be ideal as this adds a lump to the cable which may not fit behind the TV.

Would it be OK to solder the cables together and then insulate with the heat shrink wrap? Or would this cause too much resistance resulting in heat and be a fire hazard? Both cables would be of the same type.

Can any electrician give me any advice on extending a power cable.

I have a wall mounted TV but the power is a C5 Cloverleaf Power Cord. My problem is the port is not positioned very wisely on the TV (Thanks LG) and so I have to use a 90 degree connector. However I can only lay my hands on a 1.8m cable which is not long enough to reach the power socket.

I am wanting to extending the cable I have by cutting the end of one cable and the socket of another, giving me enough length. Using a connector strip would not be ideal as this adds a lump to the cable which may not fit behind the TV.

Would it be OK to solder the cables together and then insulate with the heat shrink wrap? Or would this cause too much resistance resulting in heat and be a fire hazard? Both cables would be of the same type.

Soldering is perfectly acceptable as way of making joints in power cables. As is crimping.

If you cut the mains plug off the 90 degree connector and join there adding another bit of flex with a 13A plug on it should not interfere with the back of the TV, even if you use a connector. If your soldering is good enough then you could go that way but stagger the joins and shrink wrap each as you go so they are not all in the same place and create a lump.

You could also get one of these instead of doing the above:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Extension-Cords/Eagle-Gang-Lead-Fitted-Plug-Hanging-White/B000KHDWJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489530013&sr=8-1&keywords=single+power+extension

The best and safest way of extending the power cable, is to use a Flex Connector.

Rubber Duraplug available from any good DIY shops or B+Q comes in two parts:

one male and one female.

Using your new extension cable - fit the 13amp plug to one end, and the female part of the duraplug to the other end ( this is so that you cannnot accident touch the Live pins ).

Having cut off the 13amp plug of the TV power lead, connect the male part of the Duraplug,

the insert the male part of the duraplug into the female part of the Duraplug and there you have it.

Much safer than soldering or crimping.

The Duraplug's come in either black or white and in 5 amp or 10 amp versions.

The best and safest way of extending the power cable, is to use a Flex Connector.

one male and one female.

Using your new extension cable - fit the 13amp plug to one end, and the female part of the duraplug to the other end ( this is so that you cannnot accident touch the Live pins ).

Having cut off the 13amp plug of the TV power lead, connect the male part of the Duraplug,

the insert the male part of the duraplug into the female part of the Duraplug and there you have it.

What's unsafe about soldering or crimping?

one male and one female.

That would mean three connections to be made as opposed to one for soldering. There is nothing unsafe at all about crimp or solder joints either

If it were me, I'd just buy (or make) an extension lead long enough to go from the wall power outlet, to the back of the TV. Cut the 90 Degree connector off (leaving enough wire to work with and splice to the extension lead and solder and insulate the wires together. (as someone said staggering the connections is a great idea) Just one connection needed and the entire length of the extension lead will be the same and easily hidden as required.