Another vote t'other side of the Border.

Quite.

I wonder if they'll join NATO.

NATO would probably run them a red carpet, maybe extending to budgetary 'consideration' for a few years whilst they find their feet: Faslane and Stornoway were rather important to the whole setup in the "bad old days", and I imagine they're very much that again, now that Putin has again taken to fly the odd Bear and surface of the odd Akula nearby every other week. There's a SOSUS line ending there as well, if memory serves.

EDIT: re. NATO, subject to Trump of course...But then, I understand he's got one or two interests in the place, that are rather close to his heart? Scots are not behind at making deals, so again I'm confident there'd be a deal in there to be made.

Edited by L00b

Well the United Kingdom is Great Britain plus Northern Ireland. What would it mean with no Northern Ireland?

Great Britain is England and Wales plus Scotland. What would it mean with no Scotland?

No I think it's going to have to be "Wangland".

The title of UK is well established and even if Scotland and Ireland both left, it would make no difference to its validity.

I cant think of any state off hand whose title is currently an amalgam of two of its constituent parts. We used to have Czechoslovakia. But when the Czech republic was created, the Czechs did not choose an amalgam of Bohemia and Moravia.

The title of UK is well established and even if Scotland and Ireland both left, it would make no difference to its validity.

I cant think of any state off hand whose title is currently an amalgam of two of its constituent parts. We used to have Czechoslovakia. But when the Czech republic was created, the Czechs did not choose an amalgam of Bohemia and Moravia.

But it's such a cool name, Wangland. It would be a shame not to use it.

But will they still rely on the UK for defence, if they bail out? I would tell them to get yourselves an Army lf you want to be a lone nation, or more realistically an Air Force and Navy, as the only land border would be with England. I think it was that reasoning which helped Canada to convince Qubecers to vote to stay put several years ago .

why? are the vikings coming....again?

why? are the vikings coming....again?

Well if they are I for one welcome our new Nordic overlords and I would like it to be known that I get all my furniture from Ikea. :D

---------- Post added 13-03-2017 at 15:38 ----------

NATO would probably run them a red carpet, maybe extending to budgetary 'consideration' for a few years whilst they find their feet: Faslane and Stornoway were rather important to the whole setup in the "bad old days", and I imagine they're very much that again, now that Putin has again taken to fly the odd Bear and surface of the odd Akula nearby every other week. There's a SOSUS line ending there as well, if memory serves.

EDIT: re. NATO, subject to Trump of course...But then, I understand he's got one or two interests in the place, that are rather close to his heart? Scots are not behind at making deals, so again I'm confident there'd be a deal in there to be made.

But would they choose to join NATO? The SNP are rather more pacifist than the big Westminster players.

Well if they are I for one welcome our new Nordic overlords and I would like it to be known that I get all my furniture from Ikea. :D

Our Nordic overlords (meaning here the Normans) were a bunch of vicious, land robbing thieves who had a malign influence on the development of England, Wales and Ireland. I read somewhere recently that a high proportion of the landed gentry and of the elites in British society can trace their ancestry back to the Normans. Much of the oppression by the English which the Irish, Scots and Welsh complain of was perpetrated by the Normans, not by the native English. The English were just as hard done by in this regard as the other nations.

I believe I have Viking ancestry (based on a family name), but not the Norman French branch.

Edited by NigelFargate

If the Scottish get an independence vote they'll most likely vote yes, the economic case will be terrible and any promises of quick entry to the EU will be total rubbish.

but they'll vote anyway because it's an alternative to Brexit.

If the Scottish get an independence vote they'll most likely vote yes, the economic case will be terrible and any promises of quick entry to the EU will be total rubbish.

but they'll vote anyway because it's an alternative to Brexit.

Apparently, Mrs. May has rejected the call for an independence vote in the period mentioned by Sturgeon (to be confirmed).

Our Nordic overlords (meaning here the Normans) were a bunch of vicious, land robbing thieves who had a malign influence on the development of England, Wales and Ireland. I read somewhere recently that a high proportion of the landed gentry and of the elites in British society can trace their ancestry back to the Normans. Much of the oppression by the English which the Irish, Scots and Welsh complain of was perpetrated by the Normans, not by the native English. The English were just as hard done by in this regard as the other nations.

I believe I have Viking ancestry (based on a family name), but not the Norman French branch.

funnily enough theres currently a tv series on BBC about 1066 (not just the battle of hastings) which is quite intersing, watched the first two episodes last night on iplayer.

That obviously involves the Vikings AND the Normans, aswell as the King of England and his brother