Why do people read the Daily Mail or Daily Express ?

I don't know. Each have their own slant, which is natural - I think if news organisations, broadcast and print were honest with themselves and others about their angles that would be a good start. At least you know where you are with the Mail and the Express. There is no deception. It knows who its readership are, and probably, have become parodies of themselves.

The BBC and ITV are much less honest, and far more pious I would argue. They have a privileged status, yet that is built on the glories of yesteryear. I think the BBC & ITV nowadays are far more tabloid and sectional than they care to admit.

BBC and itv are less honest than the express?!?!?!

Are you getting confused with autoexpress?

BBC and itv are less honest than the express?!?!?!

Are you getting confused with autoexpress?

Dementia is the biggest killer these days.

---------- Post added 03-02-2017 at 00:34 ----------

Which paper do you recommend ?

Some of your answers have made me laugh, but I will give the benefit of the doubt and say you really want to know.

If you ever studies hostory then you will realise you never trust one source, because theres always a chance theres bias or they can only tell you what they know or its from their particular viewpoint.

It makes sense to educate yourself and read the broadsheets as they have better journalism, have more in depth coverage and are more interested in news rather than gossip.

You can see the differences when you read several accounts covering the same event, what they emphasise what conclusions they draw etc. the thing is to truts your own mind as well as looking at papers to counterbalance each other. When you build up a good working knowledge of the world and how things work from economics to politics, then it becomes possible to read and consider news, but then ask questions and sort out what makes sense and is verifiable versus what is just opinion or unreasonable analysis. the broadsheets are not immune to this but everyday the Mail and Express twist their stories for the readership. I read the Mail/ website but it has gossip and sport. Its possible to read the rest and sort out what might be credible v what is just distortion and bias.

Get yourself a good education and you will understand a lot more plus importantly learn to think for yourself and keep an open mind. Read all the broadsheets plus supplement that with the main and current affairs programmes on TV. Newsnight and Channel 4 news were quite informative growing up as well as documentaries. The more you know the more you can put things into context.

At least you know where you are with the Mail and the Express. There is no deception.

Self evidently untrue.

The BBC and ITV are much less honest, and far more pious I would argue.

.. incorrectly.

Some of your answers have made me laugh, but I will give the benefit of the doubt and say you really want to know.

If you ever studies hostory then you will realise you never trust one source, because theres always a chance theres bias or they can only tell you what they know or its from their particular viewpoint.

It makes sense to educate yourself and read the broadsheets as they have better journalism, have more in depth coverage and are more interested in news rather than gossip.

You can see the differences when you read several accounts covering the same event, what they emphasise what conclusions they draw etc. the thing is to truts your own mind as well as looking at papers to counterbalance each other. When you build up a good working knowledge of the world and how things work from economics to politics, then it becomes possible to read and consider news, but then ask questions and sort out what makes sense and is verifiable versus what is just opinion or unreasonable analysis. the broadsheets are not immune to this but everyday the Mail and Express twist their stories for the readership. I read the Mail/ website but it has gossip and sport. Its possible to read the rest and sort out what might be credible v what is just distortion and bias.

Get yourself a good education and you will understand a lot more plus importantly learn to think for yourself and keep an open mind. Read all the broadsheets plus supplement that with the main and current affairs programmes on TV. Newsnight and Channel 4 news were quite informative growing up as well as documentaries. The more you know the more you can put things into context.

X this! If you don't know historical, economic, geopolitical view on certain situations, you are subject for manipulation by media, doesn't matter dm , guardian or any other.

I am already aware of the above but what I am interested in is which newspaper would you (or others) recommend if only one was wanted.

I am already aware of the above but what I am interested in is which newspaper would you (or others) recommend if only one was wanted.

Thats the point I dont read from just one source. If you want to give me the wholly artificial scenario where other news sources dont exist then I'd probably plump for the FT.

Thats the point I dont read from just one source. If you want to give me the wholly artificial scenario where other news sources dont exist then I'd probably plump for the FT.

That's 2 recommendations for the Financial Times.

I was expecting The Times or Daily Telegraph for a "serious"newspaper.

That's a bit condescending fella, I know plenty of educated people who are some of the doziest so and so's you will ever meet, people educate themselves in different ways, some read, watch and listen and some go out try it, do it and learn from experience .... it takes all sorts to make this world the place it is !

If you could only read one paper then it would be the Independent. It's not completely as it's name suggests, but it's high quality journalism for the most part and it rarely has a sensationalist angle. I would say of all our media that's the most middle-ground and unbiased of all the papers and TV.

---------- Post added 03-02-2017 at 10:25 ----------

That's 2 recommendations for the Financial Times.

I was expecting The Times or Daily Telegraph for a "serious"newspaper.

Both of those papers will present the information in a Conservative leaning manner. They are both papers with high journalistic values but just like the Guardian they will skew the stories to confirm an agenda.

The only paper that does NOT have a political affiliation (apart from the FT, but that's too specific to get my recommendation although a good paper) is the Independent, but obviously even certain articles will have a clear spin as each reporter will have their own opinions that can come through.

If you could only read one paper then it would be the Independent. It's not completely as it's name suggests, but it's high quality journalism for the most part and it rarely has a sensationalist angle. I would say of all our media that's the most middle-ground and unbiased of all the papers and TV.

---------- Post added 03-02-2017 at 10:25 ----------

Both of those papers will present the information in a Conservative leaning manner. They are both papers with high journalistic values but just like the Guardian they will skew the stories to confirm an agenda.

The only paper that does NOT have a political affiliation (apart from the FT, but that's too specific to get my recommendation although a good paper) is the Independent, but obviously even certain articles will have a clear spin as each reporter will have their own opinions that can come through.

Thank you for answering my specific question in an informative and direct way.

According to the dailymail. Most things give you cancer, so what DO daily mail readers do to stay alive ?

Thank you for answering my specific question in an informative and direct way.

You're welcome. Whilst I won't ever read the Daily Mail as it is utter dishwater, I will often read the Telegraph or the Times even though both papers do not align with my political stance. If you only read things that confirm your already held views you can end up sounding off in an echo chamber and becoming more and more extreme. Read papers you don't naturally align with, so if you are more on the Tory/UKIP side, try reading the same story in the Guardian as well as the Telegraph. You'll be amazed how the same figures and facts (actual provable facts) can be completely spun into 2 utterly opposing and conflicting articles, so much so you'll wonder if they are even discussing the same story. I find it all enlightening.

---------- Post added 03-02-2017 at 10:42 ----------

According to the dailymail. Most things give you cancer, so what DO daily mail readers do to stay alive ?

Hate and anger feed their souls. :hihi: