Why do people read the Daily Mail or Daily Express ?

People like to be told what their opinions are. Reading widely to get a well-informed view is too difficult for most to bother.

People like to be told what their opinions are. Reading widely to get a well-informed view is too difficult for most to bother.

Which newspaper would you recommend for honest, unbiased news coverage ?

---------- Post added 02-02-2017 at 13:03 ----------

I`ve been thinking about this. One objective way to prove whether a paper is biased or not is whether it always backs the same party for every General Election. I`m pretty sure the Daily Mail or Daily Express have never backed any party other than the Tories at any General Election. Maybe any SF members who are DM or DE readers can confirm this ? The Times, on the other hand, has backed Labour and the Tories at different elections. As far as I can remember even the Sun has sometimes backed Labour ! Gordon Bennet, that pus it into perspective, The Su is a better source of news the Daily Mail or the Daily Express..... Assuming one takes it as read that news reporting is only relevant if it`s unbiased.

Am I right in thinking you would recommend The Times ?

Yep its really impartial and has no bias at all.... seriously

You can tell that from this montage of their recent front pages. Montage

I`ve been thinking about this. One objective way to prove whether a paper is biased or not is whether it always backs the same party for every General Election. I`m pretty sure the Daily Mail or Daily Express have never backed any party other than the Tories at any General Election. Maybe any SF members who are DM or DE readers can confirm this ? The Times, on the other hand, has backed Labour and the Tories at different elections. As far as I can remember even the Sun has sometimes backed Labour ! Gordon Bennet, that pus it into perspective, The Su is a better source of news the Daily Mail or the Daily Express..... Assuming one takes it as read that news reporting is only relevant if it`s unbiased.
.......this thread is another of your thinly disguised leftie hate rants about the Tories.....go and have a beer or something,you'll make yourself ill.

You can tell that from this montage of their recent front pages. Montage

Which paper do you recommend ?

---------- Post added 02-02-2017 at 13:57 ----------

Lots of criticism of The Mail but no recommendations for an honest, unbiased newspaper.

Let's have some positive posts.

Lots of criticism of The Mail but no recommendations for an honest, unbiased newspaper.

All newspapers have some bias but I guess it's the degree of bias. Daily Mail just seems to feed off anger.

The Daily Express is just bizarre.

I don't really read newspapers but if I have to I read I

I read online versions of the Independent, Guardian, Telegraph and, if it's story with multiple angles, I have a look around for other sources.

People who agree with its bias read it for that reason.

People who don't agree still read it to disagree.

Mail online is hugely popular according to wiki it is the most read English language newspaper website in the world.

It also has a massive amount of online content on Sport,entertainment and health ect.

Navigation and layout are easy to read and the comments section is also very popular.

I read somewhere they try and make is so you never get to the bottom of the page with so so much content.

Can anyone explain a big mystery for me ?

Why do people read the Daily Mail or the Daily Express* ?

This is a serious question. I always assumed people read papers to find out what was going on in the world, and by definition this presumes unbiased reporting. But nobody could say the Daily Mail or the Daily Express fall into that category.

Do their readers just read these papers for confirmation their views and opinions of the world are "correct" ?

How many Daily Express / Daily Mail readers think their papers gives them unbiased coverage of the news ?

How many non Tories (or Remain voters) read the Daily Express or the Daily Mail ?

* I exclude the Daily Telegraph from this because the news coverage in that paper is reasonably unbiased, though, obviously, its editorials tend to be.

Simple, they like to read about opinions they already hold.

Thank you for the replies and recommendations.

Maybe it's about getting your news from as a wide variety as possible, which I agree is time consuming. I think sometimes bias is sometimes evident by virtue of what's not included, as well as the slant on a piece of news.

Maybe it's about getting your news from as a wide variety as possible, which I agree is time consuming. I think sometimes bias is sometimes evident by virtue of what's not included, as well as the slant on a piece of news.

I fully agree that it is best to use several sources but wondered which one source would be the best if only one was practical.