Do you try to block people overtaking or passing you?

Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

Generally that tends to be the case - people see two lanes and ease off a bit and things just work themselves out.

Untill people start pushing in then everything stops moving.

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 13:53 ----------

Ah the obstructing single lane queuer thinks that blocking people up is good driving, the irony.

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 13:48 ----------

This is Notts remember they have a chip on BOTH shoulders!

Leaving a safe gap prevent accidents, queue jumping cause them.

Generally that tends to be the case - people see two lanes and ease off a bit and things just work themselves out.

Yes, in practice not many can anticipate every merge point (which might be miles down the road) in order to adjust to the appropriate gap in advance.

Yes, in practice not many can anticipate every merge point (which might be miles down the road) in order to adjust to the appropriate gap in advance.

They seem to manage it fine in Leeds... and Koln, and Bruxelles..

Just three places in the last week that I've been where they do this without blinking.

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 13:56 ----------

Untill people start pushing in then everything stops moving.

No it doesn't but I wouldn't expect a conga queuing obstructionist like yourself to realise that

What you see is the safe gap that someone left and you arrogantly think it is there for you to push into, its simply bad manners and bad driving to queue jump, and whilst I understand why someone would get a little annoyed at you bad manners, I don't condone them using aggressive driving technices to stop you pushing in.

No it isn't. Going in circles of madness here aren't we. Clearly the ones who can read and follow the highway code and those who can't aren't going to agree...

They seem to manage it fine in Leeds... and Koln, and Bruxelles..

Just three places in the last week that I've been where they do this without blinking.

Ah, but this is Sheffield!

No it isn't. Going in circles of madness here aren't we. Clearly the ones who can read and follow the highway code and those who can't aren't going to agree...

I think you should re read the highway code if think the safe gap most people leave is for impatient drivers to push into.

Ah, but this is Sheffield!

Serious question amongst all the thrashing and flailing from the congaqueuers... - does Sheffield have less merge lanes like this than other cities? Manchester makes a lot of use of this sort of merge in turn lane after junctions but Sheffield less so..?

I think you should re read the highway code if think the safe gap most people leave is for impatient drivers to push into.
If in a queue of moving cars at speed, and you're not going to overtake yourself, then yes it is.

Slow down briefly to adjust the gap relative to the car that just overtook you, who will be doing the same relative to the front car.

No braking needed by either car (you or the overtaking car), if the manoeuvre is made with care and skill and in appropriate circumstances.

Then when they overtake the front car, you get back to your original position and gap.

Exact same principle when a car on a junction ramp joins a motorway where there are adjacent cars already in the left lane. The joining car matches the speed of the cars on the motorway and slides into the safety gap between two with a low-to-nil speed differential, and adjustment of the safety gaps ensues.

It's not rocket science.

But then, people just don't know how to overtake on anything other than a multi-lane carriage way in this country. Does it even get taught by driving schools in the UK?

For that matter, does the safety interval principles (and how to calculate them) get taught at all? For reference, it's 28 meters at 30 mph, and 50 meters at 50 mph; longer if the road is wet. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone maintaining a 50 metre interval (10 car lengths, give or take) at 50+mph anywhere.

Edited by L00b

Petminder and Obelix, can you keep your squabbling to just one of the driving threads? :hihi:

You keep talking about 'bullies' pushing into gaps. How do you feel about people driving safely and steadily up an empty lane (past a queue of people like yourself) and using the merge in turn at the end?

Petminder and Obelix, can you keep your squabbling to just one of the driving threads? :hihi:

I've stopped now, I can see that my time is wasted trying to educate people in good road etiquette. ;)

In most cases, regrettably I very much doubt that it would help.

With ref. to those A57 roadworks in Worksop that I posted about yesterday, there are large (look like 5ft7-ish tall) and clear yellow signs that clearly and unambiguously say "merge in turn" with an illustration of zipper-like white and red cars, on both sides of the road just as you enter the section of dual carriage lane off the Sainsbury's/McDonalds roundabout, 400 yards or so before the coned section begins.

That's why I started driving down the left lane (empty from the roundabout), duly expecting to merge zipper-like at the end and wondering why no one else was (driving down the wholly-empty left lane) and whence why I had no compunction whatsoever "forcing" my merge at the time.

I can't help it if most other drivers around were either blind, or analphabetic, or had the IQ of an amoeba, or a chip on their shoulder the size of a small planet :|

I drive exactly the same on that stretch of road, just obeying the road signage.