Do you try to block people overtaking or passing you?

Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

I think that the annoying thing is that if you leave a proper gap behind the car in front so as to avoid any unforeseen sudden emergency then the boy racers in BMW's or Range Rovers etc see it as a gap that must be filled by them causing all following traffic to break and slow down .

This leads to accidents that they have caused but they just speed on without giving it another thought .

There is one place where people pushing in at the front of the queue causes me to stay close to the car in front and not allow anyone to move in.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mottram+in+Longdendale/@53.4593776,-2.0036616,3a,75y,263.75h,82.69t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sHHRoNtWPtvwwPV847yjRiw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DHHRoNtWPtvwwPV847yjRiw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D345.19238%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bc985dbd9a4cf:0x5f6f2f08f203ad97!8m2!3d53.459498!4d-2.013286

Here.

In this case the right hand lane is quite clearly marked for turning right, and to use it to bypass a straight on queue and then push in is not merging in turn, but really is queue jumping.

In such a situation pushing into the left lane from the right is illegal, police do ticket people (if they're present to see it though)

Although it has to be said it's not very well signposted as to what is going on ahead, and with that particular road they should probably stick a couple of signs in as it's easy to miss if a massive truck is blocking your view.

Edited by geared

Usually just let them go. Best kind of idiot on the road, is one that's nowhere near me...

In such a situation pushing into the left lane from the right is illegal, police do ticket people (if they're present to see it though)

Although it has to be said it's not very well signposted as to what is going on ahead, and with that particular road they should probably stick a couple of signs in as it's easy to miss if a massive truck is blocking your view.

I'm curious, which law would this contravene?

I would only block someone cutting in if it was absolutely blatant they were trying it on. When you join the Parkway heading out of town and it's 3 lanes and the signs are clear as day it becomes 2 after a few hundred metres yet there's always some pillock who just keeps ploughing on totally ignoring the impending lane merge and then 9 times out of 10 simply drive into the left hand lane without indicating or even looking...those people I have forced onto the hatching. If you aren't indicating I can't possibly know what you are planning to do so I will act as if you are going to disappear or just stop in the outside lane. Yes it's childish, however I'll always leave plenty of room for someone to merge easily from that lane if they choose to do so long before the merge point, so if they decide not to take that then it's absolutely their problem.

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 15:13 ----------

I'm curious, which law would this contravene?

It's classified as driving without due care and attention:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/careless-driving.html

It's classified as driving without due care and attention:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/careless-driving.html

I think that would depend on the circumstances. For instance, how would an officer be able to tell the difference between someone indicating to push in and someone indicating because they've remembered they need to go the other way, or simply changed their minds about where they're going?

EDIT: Mind you, Geared did say "pushing" rather than indicating.

Edited by RootsBooster

I think that would depend on the circumstances. For instance, how would an officer be able to tell the difference between someone indicating to push in and someone indicating because they've remembered they need to go the other way, or simply changed their minds about where they're going?

Isn't that the same as any other law? Guilty act, guilty mind and all that...

They would look at the manor in which the car moved, it should be fairly obvious to tell between someone who's just lost and someone who's obviously cutting others upto jump into the other lane.

Police forces do have the odd action day where they'll go to known bad spots and dish tickets out.

Isn't that the same as any other law? Guilty act, guilty mind and all that...

Not really, there's a line to be drawn, you can't charge someone with murder for the act of buying flowers. You could hardly charge someone with Driving without due care and attention if they're indicating and waiting to change lane safely.

Like I said in my edit though, Geared was talking about those who "push" their way in, which is a different kettle of mudflaps.

Agree with Waldo. It's easy to tell when someone is eager to pass - they are always male, young to age about 40. They have a determined look on their faces, arms straight on the steering wheel, shoulders hunched up and tailgate the car in front. More often than not I slow down to let them pass. A couple of days ago I was on a bendy country road with a young man of the aforementioned description was behind me. He passed both me and a charity collection van at the same time. This manoeuvre brought him right up to a blind bend and he missed an oncoming car by a very narrow margin. There could have been a fatal crash judging by his speed. Even if I had not slowed to let him pass, he would probably still have gone ahead but it does make you wonder. It was a bad experience.

Agree with Waldo. It's easy to tell when someone is eager to pass - they are always male, young to age about 40. They have a determined look on their faces, arms straight on the steering wheel, shoulders hunched up and tailgate the car in front. More often than not I slow down to let them pass. A couple of days ago I was on a bendy country road with a young man of the aforementioned description was behind me. He passed both me and a charity collection van at the same time. This manoeuvre brought him right up to a blind bend and he missed an oncoming car by a very narrow margin. There could have been a fatal crash judging by his speed. Even if I had not slowed to let him pass, he would probably still have gone ahead but it does make you wonder. It was a bad experience.

You really shouldn't be so judgmental about young male drivers. I've had plenty of women tailgate me, and old men. Whilst statistically young men are more likely to be driving aggressively it's not a monopoly!

Some of the worst, most dangerously ignorant driving is from women with a car full of children or pensioners. Overtaking unsafely is just one small part of our seemingly growing dangerous driving problem.

Old men refuse to yield, women don't look where they're going and young men drive like idiots.

Pretty sure it's been like that for Donkey's years to be hoenst.