Do you try to block people overtaking or passing you?

Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

Good luck, I remember Smiffy arguing this to the death on another thread some time back (under another name, obviously).

Was he pretending to be a woman then as well? Or is that just when he's defending sexual assault?

No, you've got that entirely backwards. It's self evident that cars using both lanes form a shorter queue than the same cars using just a single lane.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 09:37 ----------

In the example I was talking about the limit to capacity was caused by the traffic lights. It almost always is caused by something like that, not by some inherent property of a closed lane due to roadworks.

A 1km queue with 1000 cares is a smaller queue than a 500m queue with 2000 cars.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 11:44 ----------

Thousands eh. That's some queue. If half of those cars were using the right hand lane, then a) nobody could 'queue jump' and b) the queue would be half as long.

The queue would indeed be half as long but it would take longer for everyone to get through the road works, a single queue with no queue jumpers would move faster than two queue trying to merge at a given point.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 11:47 ----------

You all clearly prefer to speculate about my identity than debate the topic, so I will leave you to it now that I have proven you to be wrong and in the minority. You carry on queue jumping if you wish and hopefully one day you will get a fixed penalty for anti social driving.

Mmmmm. My lexical analysis program here say 98% match to Smithy.....

Curious that.

A 1km queue with 1000 cares is a smaller queue than a 500m queue with 2000 cars.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 11:44 ----------

The queue would indeed be half as long but it would take longer for everyone to get through the road works, a single queue with no queue jumpers would move faster than two queue trying to merge at a given point.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 11:47 ----------

You all clearly prefer to speculate about my identity than debate the topic, so I will leave you to it now that I have proven you to be wrong and in the minority. You carry on queue jumping if you wish and hopefully one day you will get a fixed penalty for anti social driving.

where did the extra 1000 cars come from?

I think the question is too simplistic, it needs clarifying.

Only a total cretin would try to prevent someone overtaking them on an open road with fast moving traffic where the results could be a serious accident.

On the other hand if someone tries to force their way in front of you in a slow moving traffic queue where there is no danger of any injury to anyone, that`s a quite different matter. Years ago a Volvo driver tried doing that to me and I didn`t give way. I`d seen him in my door mirror come tanking up in the right hand lane and remember thinking where does he think he`s going ? ! ? He hit me and it actually went to the small claims court because he refused to admit liability, but he lost, obviously. The only thing I regret is I tried to keep the bill down by using a cheap local garage to repair my car, had I known that it`d have been so much hassle I`d have got a decent garage to do it and respray the whole side of the car into the bargain.....

I think the question is too simplistic, it needs clarifying.

Only a total cretin would try to prevent someone overtaking them on an open road with fast moving traffic where the results could be a serious accident.

On the other hand if someone tries to force their way in front of you in a slow moving traffic queue where there is no danger of any injury to anyone, that`s a quite different matter. Years ago a Volvo driver tried doing that to me and I didn`t give way. I`d seen him in my door mirror come tanking up in the right hand lane and remember thinking where does he think he`s going ? ! ? He hit me and it actually went to the small claims court because he refused to admit liability, but he lost, obviously. The only thing I regret is I tried to keep the bill down by using a cheap local garage to repair my car, had I known that it`d have been so much hassle I`d have got a decent garage to do it and respray the whole side of the car into the bargain.....

I think a lot of it's down to perception, if there were a stretch of road with two lanes and a merge in turn at the end, with a long queue in the left lane (it still baffles me why would people do this) and I drove steadily along the clear right lane then indicated to move in front of you, would you let me in?

Well done for stating the obvious, but using 2 lanes doesn't double the number of cars.

No, it would proceed at exactly the same rate. The limiting factor is almost never the rate at which 2 lanes can merge.

You think that you have, on your own, proven everyone else to be in a minority. That's some special logic, or did you redefine what minority means?

Well done for stating the obvious, but using 2 lanes doesn't double the number of cars.

No, it would proceed at exactly the same rate. The limiting factor is almost never the rate at which 2 lanes can merge.

You think that you have, on your own, proven everyone else to be in a minority. That's some special logic, or did you redefine what minority means?

As most people don't queue jump its safe to say that you queue jumpers are in the minority.

When two lanes try to merge it does indeed slow traffic down.

Trying to merge at the last minute slows the flow of traffic more than if they merged in good time, this means fewer cars can exit the queue so leaves more car in the queue. Queue jumpers interfere with the flow of traffic to the point traffic further down the queue comes to a stop.

The fact that a lane is closed is what slows down the traffic. Not the process of merging.

I blocked someone from overtaking me on a blind bend near Castleton last week. Just as well because he'd not seen the car that was coming. I was more than glad to see the back of the idiot after that and so I let him fly past. I figured it would be better to find him upside-down in a ditch than blended with a family of four!

How exactly did you "block" a car behind you on a regular two lane road? Just by existing?

The fact that a lane is closed is what slows down the traffic. Not the process of merging.

Traffic volume is the cause of the slow down, bad driving forces it to slow even further, queue jumpers slow it down for everyone other than themselves.