Do you try to block people overtaking or passing you?

Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

Serious question amongst all the thrashing and flailing from the congaqueuers... - does Sheffield have less merge lanes like this than other cities? Manchester makes a lot of use of this sort of merge in turn lane after junctions but Sheffield less so..?

That could be part of the answer. You also might be able to judge whether the signage/road markings on the continent are better executed than here.

I don't think they have any signage at all in Germany/Belgium per se. They just get taught it in driving school. As well as how to deal with an approaching blue light - something else that the UK does very very badly.

If in a queue of moving cars at speed, and you're not going to overtake yourself, then yes it is.

Slow down briefly to adjust the gap relative to the car that just overtook you, who will be doing the same relative to the front car.

No braking needed by either car (you or the overtaking car), if the manoeuvre is made with care and skill and in appropriate circumstances.

Then when they overtake the front car, you get back to your original position and gap.

Exact same principle when a car on a junction ramp joins a motorway where there are adjacent cars already in the left lane. The joining car matches the speed of the cars on the motorway and slides into the safety gap between two with a low-to-nil speed differential, and adjustment of the safety gaps ensues.

It's not rocket science.

But then, people just don't know how to overtake on anything other than a multi-lane carriage way in this country. Does it even get taught by driving schools in the UK?

For that matter, does the safety interval principles (and how to calculate them) get taught at all? For reference, it's 28 meters at 30 mph, and 50 meters at 50 mph; longer if the road is wet. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone maintaining a 50 metre interval (10 car lengths, give or take) at 50+mph anywhere.

Its taught as a measure of time, if I am in a queue with the required 2 second gap and a thousand other cars are in that same queue with that same gap, which to be fair is extremely unlikely because the overwhelming majority driver far to close to the car in front, if you push in to one of the gaps it creates a domino affect, it hardly affects the car you pushed in front of, but because they slow slightly that affects the car behind and that affects the car behind them until somewhere well behind the point you pushed in cars are braking hard and being forced to stop.

So why isn't there a huge queue at every motorway slip road then?

The effect you described above simply does not exist as you described it.

So why isn't there a huge queue at every motorway slip road then?

The effect you described above simply does not exist as you described it.

Sometimes there is but mostly its because drivers on the motorway are able to move from the left lane to the center lane, but remember they are under no obligation to slow down or move to allow you on, its you responsibility to slow and stop if necessary.

Traffic flow stops all the time because of queue jumpers, you get a steady flow of traffic and when someone pushes in it cause that flow to stop. You won't notice it because you are now at the front which is still moving.

Edited by Petminder

Sometimes there is but mostly its because drivers on the motorway are able to move from the left lane to the center lane, but remember they are under no obligation to slow down or move to allow you on, its you responsibility to slow and stop if necessary.

Traffic flow stops all the time because of queue jumpers, you get a steady flow of traffic and when someone pushes in it cause that flow to stop. You won't notice it because you are now at the front which is still moving.

In the same way as people are under no obligation to join the longest queue in the roadworks or whatever is closing a lane...

I did ask earlier but how do you feel about merge in turns?

In the same way as people are under no obligation to join the longest queue in the roadworks or whatever is closing a lane...

Correct, no one is obliged to join the longest queue, but then no one is obliged to let you push in, this is were good manners comes in, the law doesn't say I have to let someone join the motorway but if it is safe to move over I do. The law doesn't say I have to join the queue, but I do because its good manners and means other drivers aren't delayed because of my inconsiderate driving, the law doesn't say I have to let inconsiderate drivers push in, but I do because its safer to avoid confrontation with aggressive drivers.

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 17:28 ----------

I did ask earlier but how do you feel about merge in turns?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11535315&postcount=60

The queue would be smaller if no one queue jumped, and longer if everyone used both lanes and tried to merged in the last few meters.

No, you've got that entirely backwards. It's self evident that cars using both lanes form a shorter queue than the same cars using just a single lane.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 09:37 ----------

Yes because a single line of traffic would move through the roadworks faster, merging two lanes in the last few meters ends up stopping both lanes.

In the example I was talking about the limit to capacity was caused by the traffic lights. It almost always is caused by something like that, not by some inherent property of a closed lane due to roadworks.

Its taught as a measure of time, if I am in a queue with the required 2 second gap and a thousand other cars are in that same queue with that same gap, which to be fair is extremely unlikely because the overwhelming majority driver far to close to the car in front, if you push in to one of the gaps it creates a domino affect, it hardly affects the car you pushed in front of, but because they slow slightly that affects the car behind and that affects the car behind them until somewhere well behind the point you pushed in cars are braking hard and being forced to stop.

Thousands eh. That's some queue. If half of those cars were using the right hand lane, then a) nobody could 'queue jump' and b) the queue would be half as long.

No, you've got that entirely backwards. It's self evident that cars using both lanes form a shorter queue than the same cars using just a single lane.

Good luck, I remember Smiffy arguing this to the death on another thread some time back (under another name, obviously).