The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

Take off the roads tinted bins there Anna. Or, if we're going back to 70s, take rose tinted glasses off and make my tea - and it had better clog my arteries up or face a back hander. I'm off to racially abuse my neighbours or beat up some gay people. Once back I'll watch a bit of racist telly. I'll knock back 10 pints after. I'm not in work tomorrow though - I'm on strike.

See what I did there? All with jest of course but you get my point.

Yes, I know. It wasn't perfect by any means. But are things really that much better now? The problems are different but there are more of them.

To use your analogy, women have certainly gained more rights, but have they more choices or just different ones? They've won the right to pursue careers, but lost the right to stay at home with their children if they want to, because they simply can't afford it. Just an example.

Things will always move on, things will come and go. but have we lost more than we've gained?

The closeness of the general election was really brought home to me by the fact that although in numbers, the Conservatives got 800,000 more votes than Labour:

Jeremy Corbyn was just 2,227 votes away from having the chance to become Prime Minister

While the Conservatives were only 287 votes from being able to form a working majority.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-election-results-votes-away-prime-minister-theresa-may-hung-parliament-a7782581.html

Interesting analysis.

Or May was 2,227 votes away from not having to get into bed with the DUP

Or May was 2,227 votes away from not having to get into bed with the DUP

You'd have to feel sorry for anyone having to get into bed with Arlene Foster.

You'd have to feel sorry for anyone having to get into bed with Arlene Foster.

To be fair I think May would get into bed with anyone.

A foursome with Trump and Gove?

I wish this was a joke..............

Edited by Flanker7

Wont take long for DUP to get dismayed and then there will be no parties left for tories to sleep with.

Benn has an awful lot of work to do to make good on his previous conduct: he all but destroyed the party, and he did it through pure unadulterated incompetence.

That and opportunism, he felt safe and secure with all his mates ganging up on Corbyn

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 09:03 ----------

You spelled "minutes" wrong there.

arf arf hihi:

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 09:06 ----------

Fair play to you Anna. You stuck by Corbyn for 2 years on here in the face of some pretty nasty posts by countless other members on here.

I'm more convinced by Corbyn now after being very sceptical. If I was sure new Labour had been flushed from the party I'd consider returning.

For now I think it's critical for all progressives to work together to get as many youngsters registered to vote as possible, and to make The reality of Tory policies as clear as possible.

We need good people in the party to "flush" them further out. Join us

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 09:12 ----------

Yes. I think Britain was a better place too. But that's just me.

We hear all about the winter of discontent etc, but not so much about the 1980's poll tax riots, race riots, miner's strike, mass unemployment and general discontent of the eighties. It was far worse than the 1970's. And IMO hasn't improved that much.

Margaret Thatcher's Britain was one of money worship, greed and one-upman-ship. You had to be a winner or you were nothing. She baulked at manufacturing, sold everything off, and put all her trust in banking, which she deregulated, giving rise to the super rich Yuppies.

At first some of it seemed to trickle down, but it was all built on sand (or gambling if you prefer) and lead inevitably to the banking crash of 2008, when we were told we had 'all been living beyond our means' on credit, so it seems any improvements to our standard of living were just an illusion anyway, which has been quickly snatched away.

Yet now this is somehow supposed to be remembered as a 'golden era...' It might have been for a few, but the rest of us are left paying the price. So yes, a return to the solid values of the 70's would be no bad thing.

Glenda Jackson MP captured it perfectly speaking in Parliament after the death of Thatcher. You can still see it on You Tube.

Sharp elbows to the front. A "me and now" philosophy, 'no such thing as society just individuals and their families". Her legacy, increased life expectancy for the rich, poor health and early death for the poor.

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 09:23 ----------

Take off the roads tinted bins there Anna. Or, if we're going back to 70s, take rose tinted glasses off and make my tea - and it had better clog my arteries up or face a back hander. I'm off to racially abuse my neighbours or beat up some gay people. Once back I'll watch a bit of racist telly. I'll knock back 10 pints after. I'm not in work tomorrow though - I'm on strike.

See what I did there? All with jest of course but you get my point.

The process of making people more civil, well mannered and decent towards each other and tackling social ills such as domestic violence and gender inequality would still be stuck in the 1970's if it had been left to the likes of the Conservatives. Look at their supporters in the media, Jim Davison, Bernard Manning ("Comedians") entrepreneurs such as Peter Stringfellow.

That caricature may have fitted a lot of people who today are " caricatured " as Sun readers but a lot of us weren't like that

I do appreciate you were being ironic

Edited by Ridgewalk
Wrong spelling

That and opportunism, he felt safe and secure with all his mates ganging up on Corbyn...

If he had instead attacked Cameron, then launched a proper leadership challenge, I think he would won the election eight months ago and been PM by now.

Its an interesting position for the party now - they've done better than expected, but I believe its only because the Tories ran a disastrous campaign.

I still don't think the matter in resolved, but all eyes are now on May and the Tories so he can breathe easy for while.

Its an interesting position for the party now - they've done better than expected, but I believe its only because the Tories ran a disastrous campaign.

I still don't think the matter in resolved, but all eyes are now on May and the Tories so he can breathe easy for while.

Good point, I know two elderly tory voters who didn't vote this time cause they see no reason in doing so.

A foursome with Trump and Gove?

I wish this was a joke..............

Since her meeting with Trump, she seems to have a thing for orangmen.

The closeness of the general election was really brought home to me by the fact that although in numbers, the Conservatives got 800,000 more votes than Labour:

Jeremy Corbyn was just 2,227 votes away from having the chance to become Prime Minister

While the Conservatives were only 287 votes from being able to form a working majority.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-election-results-votes-away-prime-minister-theresa-may-hung-parliament-a7782581.html

Interesting analysis.

2,227 votes away from forming a rainbow coalition of every man and his dog. In reality one which would have struggled to command any sort of authority and would be in a weaker position than the Tories are now.

The reality is that Corbyn, despite a poor Tory campaign, suffered a hefty defeat. The only reason it's being claimed as any sort of success is that expectations were set so low. It is laughable that the Labour Party were claiming to be ready to form a government after the election with no mandate.