How can we legally defend ourselves if attacked?

In light of the many attacks in France and Germany , it might be a good time to discuss ways in which us ordinary people can legally defend ourselves when attacked, without falling foul of the law.

We can't use pepper spray if attacked on the street (illegal) . However , I'm suffering from arthritis and carry a Deep Heat spray around to ease the pain. Could I be charged if I used my spray as self defence?

Looking into Krav Maga courses too, pretty sad that this is necessary.

Anyone got other self-protection suggestions?

As others have said you dont NEED to change anything. Get on with living your life.

Building fear and putting the populus on high alert self defence mode is exactly what the terrorists want. People scared of their own shadows. People scared to go to major transport hubs and shopping malls.

You would defend yourself in exactly the same way as if a burgular smashed into your front room tonight or a mugger jumped you tomorrow morning - you would react in the moment. Nothing you can plan for. You might get hit by a bus or blown up by a gas leak or 1 million other possibilities.

We are not going to be beaten by these cowardly attacks on our society by ANY terrorist. Muslim, Christian, black white or purple.

We are in the crossfire of extremists from BOTH sides. Right wing supremacy nut jobs attacking anyone who even vaguely looks foreign. So called Islamic nutjobs attacking westerners. We even have right wing gobby extremists trying to get into power in the USA and left wing gobby extremists hijacking the wider electorates choice of opposition party in the UK.

Extreme acts of violence from rogue individuals, religious terrorism and military wars is nothing new. Some of us have been through the 80s and 90s bombing campaigns from another well known religious group. Even older generations have been through the nuclear war fears of the 60s and 70s. I dare say there will still be some still alive who lived through the nightly bombing fears of WW2.

What's so different now? You know what got people through. Not letting it rule their lives.

Edited by ECCOnoob

This question remainds me of the Tim Martian case and the questions it raised. Do we have the right to defended ourselfs and property we own, the law is not clear in parts what's is meant by 'reasonable force' and if we used force would the court accept that as lawful? Iv known criminals sue the victim for assault and won as the court judged the victim used excessive force.

The law is perfectly clear, it's been clarified in court for many years.

You can't "sue" for assault, so you haven't known that, you've made it up.

To Bob ector,

Why is being more aware of the risks "giving in"? It's not, it's just being more aware and alert to our circumstances and the environment around us

You were talking about doing a full martial arts course, how is that just being more aware of the risks?

---------- Post added 27-07-2016 at 07:02 ----------

I have a pick axe handle next to the bed . Never had to use it ,but i wouldnt hesitate if i was woken up by someone intruding in my house.

You would be prosecuted if you used it because unless you could come up with a plausible reason why it was there it would count as premeditation.

I have a pick axe handle next to the bed . Never had to use it ,but i wouldnt hesitate if i was woken up by someone intruding in my house.

Would you not try to reason with them?

Ask them if they had a bad upbringing?

Maybe the burglars would tell you what they wanted to steal "Tv, xbox etc....." surely it would be more liberal of you to carry your TV to the burglars car?

Then ask them "what else they need?"

That way you wouldn't cause any offence

This question remainds me of the Tim Martian case and the questions it raised.

For anyone who's not heard of this case, Tim Martian had his UFO nicked near Stocksbridge and laser-beamed the robber in retaliation. He got life based on the precedent set in the Tony Martin case.

---------- Post added 27-07-2016 at 09:15 ----------

Mere terrestrials are governed by this law http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/self_defence/

I knew a chap who used to be a bailiff. One of his colleagues had been warned by the police because of carrying a lead filled cosh.T hey let him know in so many words that it would be o'k to carry a metal comb and a handkerchief to avoid cutting into his own hand if he used it. The one thing you try not to do about terrorism is let it change your life in any way because that's what they want. They have already bowed down enough to them as it is. In America after 9/11 they closed the statue of liberty and the Thunderbirds airshow at Nellis AFB, and the Hoover dam tour. Nearer home they stopped the Paris_Dakar rally and in this country they stopped Mildenhall air display.

In light of the many attacks in France and Germany , it might be a good time to discuss ways in which us ordinary people can legally defend ourselves when attacked, without falling foul of the law.

We can't use pepper spray if attacked on the street (illegal) . However , I'm suffering from arthritis and carry a Deep Heat spray around to ease the pain. Could I be charged if I used my spray as self defence?

Looking into Krav Maga courses too, pretty sad that this is necessary.

Anyone got other self-protection suggestions?

I always thought the law stated you can use reasonable force to defend yourself. This would include the use of pepper spray if carrying such a device is also legal.

This question remainds me of the Tim Martin case and the questions it raised. Do we have the right to defended ourselfs and property we own, the law is not clear in parts what's is meant by 'reasonable force' and if we used force would the court accept that as lawful? Iv known criminals sue the victim for assault and won as the court judged the victim used excessive force.

Do you mean Tony Martin? The burglar did sue, but it was a messy business.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/jul/06/tonymartin.ukcrime

During 2003, Fearon applied for, and received, an estimated £5,000 of legal aid to sue Martin for loss of earnings due to the injuries he had sustained.

However, the case was thrown into doubt when photographs were published in The Sun, showing him "cycling and climbing with little apparent difficulty" suggesting that Fearon's injuries were not as serious as had been claimed.

While the case was pending, Fearon was recalled to jail after being charged with the theft of a vehicle while on probation on a conviction for dealing heroin.

Fearon later dropped the case when Martin agreed to drop a counter-claim. Tens of thousands of pounds of public money had been spent on the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)#Compensation_claim

As others have said you dont NEED to change anything. Get on with living your life.

Building fear and putting the populus on high alert self defence mode is exactly what the terrorists want. People scared of their own shadows. People scared to go to major transport hubs and shopping malls.

You would defend yourself in exactly the same way as if a burgular smashed into your front room tonight or a mugger jumped you tomorrow morning - you would react in the moment. Nothing you can plan for. You might get hit by a bus or blown up by a gas leak or 1 million other possibilities.

We are not going to be beaten by these cowardly attacks on our society by ANY terrorist. Muslim, Christian, black white or purple.

We are in the crossfire of extremists from BOTH sides. Right wing supremacy nut jobs attacking anyone who even vaguely looks foreign. So called Islamic nutjobs attacking westerners. We even have right wing gobby extremists trying to get into power in the USA and left wing gobby extremists hijacking the wider electorates choice of opposition party in the UK.

Extreme acts of violence from rogue individuals, religious terrorism and military wars is nothing new. Some of us have been through the 80s and 90s bombing campaigns from another well known religious group. Even older generations have been through the nuclear war fears of the 60s and 70s. I dare say there will still be some still alive who lived through the nightly bombing fears of WW2.

What's so different now? You know what got people through. Not letting it rule their lives.

A world of a lot of people unfamiliar with the internet, connected 24/7. Because I could easily write a 10 word sentence about anything and if connected with the right people it can be seen by millions within minutes.

I flick through the news thing on my phone on my lunch every day. Each day there is a new ISIS article, millions of people share among Facebook which will influence everyone else.

With enough conviction anyone can convince anyone something is terrible and we should all fear it. People should not let it affect them much but for many people, it does.