The consequence thread (Brexit)

If that is accurate than that is very depressing.

i've no idea if the figures are accurate but the interpretation differs markedly from the others i've seen there is one somewhere on the guardian's website and that interpretation fits very well with the people i know, who come from all sorts of backgrounds etc.

the real depressing thing is that it shows how fractured our society is and healing those divisions is probably far more important than whatever deal we finally cut with the eu

---------- Post added 25-06-2016 at 13:52 ----------

A general election might be soon coming. But that will require new leaders for the Tories and probably Labour to be chosen first. We could end up with a coalition government again. Would you trigger 50 in a coalition government?

i most certainly would do that, cameron should have done it yesterday, as i think i posted earlier, it will take months before the politicians needed to get involved and in many ways the early stages are better without them.

we can't wait until after a general election to invoke article 50, extending the uncertainty over the period we needed to hold one would kill both us and the eu.

i've no idea if the figures are accurate but the interpretation differs markedly from the others i've seen there is one somewhere on the guardian's website and that interpretation fits very well with the people i know, who come from all sorts of backgrounds etc.

the real depressing thing is that it shows how fractured our society is and healing those divisions is probably far more important than whatever deal we finally cut with the eu

---------- Post added 25-06-2016 at 13:52 ----------

i most certainly would do that, cameron should have done it yesterday, as i think i posted earlier, it will take months before the politicians needed to get involved and in many ways the early stages are better without them.

we can't wait until after a general election to invoke article 50, extending the uncertainty over the period we needed to hold one would kill both us and the eu.

It's such unchartered territory. Closest point of reference is Greenland leaving the EEC. Algeria as well, when France granted them independence.

How about waiting to see if other nations have referendums and vote out? If so, the EU might revert to the old EEC terms that in 1975 this country voted overwhelmingly to remain part of.

So from polls taken from Lord Ashcroft it's actually down to the young uns for Brexit. It is all their own fault and they blame all the oldies LOL.

Proportional turn out data.

http://imgur.com/EyDB6LR

This would suggest a higher % of over 65's voted for remain than under 25's when you include those who didn't vote.

Not only that, but the % of over 65's voting remain is the same as the % of under 25's voting.

That is really depressing, not because of the result but because of the lack of engagement of the young in the political process. The poor turnout of younger voters has skewed the result.

This is one way for the young to learn a lesson about politics I guess but the toughest possible arena to learn that lesson.

No they don't have a mandate. They have 1 MP. Dealings will go on for years. They can field candidates at those general elections and participate in the normal democratic way if they win seats.

I don't want a bunch of unelected UKIP people dictating my post-Brexit future. Just like Brexiters didn't want unelected Brussels dictating to them before.

formatting screw up - I'll be back

It's such unchartered territory. Closest point of reference is Greenland leaving the EEC. Algeria as well, when France granted them independence.

they are hardly in the same league as us.

in many ways, the ones with the greatest experience is us from when we unwound the empire but in this case the trainer is on the other foot.

How about waiting to see if other nations have referendums and vote out? If so, the EU might revert to the old EEC terms that in 1975 this country voted overwhelmingly to remain part of.

there is no guarantee that any other nation is going too and the uncertainty while we wait is going to kill both us and the eu.

it would certainly be karma on a grand scale if our exit triggered that sort of reorganisation and left us sat on the outside unable to get in