The biggest waste of council tax ever?

Can't believe what I saw at a tram stop last night - a council employee (I presume - he had fluorescent jacket on etc) blowing litter along the pavement about 3 yards with a leaf blower thing. Why?! Could understand if it was sucking rubbish up but it was definitely blowing it just a bit further along!

I'd assumed that this was going to be something like the student games. Millions of pounds.

Instead we're talking about someone doing some cleaning, maybe ineffectively, at probably <£10/hr.

I'm pretty sure that's not going to be the biggest waste ever, even if the cleaning is ineffective.

I think the point is why they do not use a vacuum cleaner or something similar to suck up the rubbish, but just blow the litter away from the pavement.

I know what you mean ...BUT...it would have to be a big "vac" and it would be full very quickly as well as heavy,then there has to be a container to empty it in...I had a garden vac myself many years ago,probably the most useless piece of garden equipment ever...blowing things about is all it was good for...I took it to the dump..:)

I saw a council worker this week in town picking separate pieces of litter up with a grabber. He looked so bored and depressed. I'm sure he would have been better off with a large sweeping brush !

Most of those are on community service

Here's another example of the council wasting money. On a rather narrow road near where I live it was decided to move the bus stops a few yards and use the cut ins for parking. Great idea, it's a busy road and parking can cause problems. So the council, in their wisdom, spent thousands of pounds and made the old bus stops smaller and narrower so only two cars can park there. So there is still a problem on the narrow twisty road.

Well the audacity of it... here's a great idea.... LEAVE it, don't clean up and when the tram stops etc look a <Removed> hole - then you'll really have something to moan about

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

Well the audacity of it... here's a great idea.... LEAVE it, don't clean up and when the tram stops etc look a <Removed> hole - then you'll really have something to moan about

He's not "cleaning it up" though is he? just blowing it away out of the tramstop.

Edited by Guest
masked swearing

I saw this a little while ago. The chap was blowing dust from the tram tracks mainly onto the passengers on the platform. He was in a Stagecoach van, so I presume it is not the council.

I saw a chap doing the opposite, sweeping from the platform onto the tram tracks - :roll: