'Smart' Motorways.

There is NO HGV drivers using motorway emergency lay-bys for rest periods on motorways.

Well the police stated otherwise in a article in The Times this week. Specifically they said its caused by foreign drivers not understanding what the lay-bys are for because other countries don't have this setup.

Well the police stated otherwise in a article in The Times this week. Specifically they said its caused by foreign drivers not understanding what the lay-bys are for because other countries don't have this setup.

But the point was,they wont be resting,they wont be there long enough.

Foreign HGV drivers were known for using the hard shoulder as a rest area during heavy traffic as well.

Seen it on a couple of those police TV shows, they send a unit down the hard shoulder and round up 4 or 5 Polish guys who are sat around having a chat and drink.

But the point was,they wont be resting,they wont be there long enough.

I'm not sure what you mean - why won't they be there long enough?

Lorry drivers urged to stop parking on M20 hard shoulders and slip roads

http://www.kent.police.uk/news/latest_news/151016_hard_shoulder.html

Lorry driver hits back after HGVs fined for parking illegally on slip roads and hard shoulders

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/lorry-drivers-are-no-angels-48502/

Could the new smart motorways be quite safe, and the problem being bad driving?

And who are the motoring Mafia? Is it a secret organisation?

The motoring mafia is indeed a (not very) secret organisation. SgtKate is the Godmother and I'm DonJeremy...

The motoring mafia is indeed a (not very) secret organisation. SgtKate is the Godmother and I'm DonJeremy...

Missed you Ron. :love:

Missed you Ron. :love:

It's Don Ron from now on. Have some respect... or I'll make you an offer you can't refuse. :hihi:

I failed to see the point for the so-called smart motorway, and the roadwork on M1 seems to be endless.

I failed to see the point for the so-called smart motorway, and the roadwork on M1 seems to be endless.

Id like to know how much over budget it will be once it's done

There is NO HGV drivers using motorway emergency lay-bys for rest periods on motorways.

Your right, they just happen to breakdown a lot as they leave motorway services. I've seen this happen on the M2, great queues of them broken down on services slip roads. Maybe it's something in the air.

I'll take a picture next time I'm out that way.

Of course it's nothing to do with MSA being full up or drivers too tight to pay for an overnight stay. No sir.

Your right, they just happen to breakdown a lot as they leave motorway services. I've seen this happen on the M2, great queues of them broken down on services slip roads. Maybe it's something in the air.

I'll take a picture next time I'm out that way.

Of course it's nothing to do with MSA being full up or drivers too tight to pay for an overnight stay. No sir.

Not so much a case of drivers being tight ,perhaps if prices were a bit more reasonable then more might use them also you have to get in most service area early if you want to stay for the night