'Smart' Motorways.

Are we talking WWII ? ! ?

On water : The Royal Navy`s guns were far more dangerous than those of the German`s rather small navy.

On land : For most of the war German tank guns were more dangerous than British (or American tank) guns. Things changed with the 17 pounder, as fitted in the Sherman Firefly.

In the air : During the Battle of Britain German guns (in their fighters) were rather more dangerous than the small calibre weapons fitted in the RAF Hurricanes and Spitfires. Things changed later, parity was achieved.

What car do you drive by the way?

So have you ever had any issues with driving on dual-carriageway A roads?

Is that answering my question ? That said, I have broken down on the A1(M) in a VW LT35 van/truck (it was half way between the two), the cam belt went. If we hadn`t had a hard shoulder to stop on it would have been rather more exciting, and not in a good way......

I have to say I feel safer on the M1 than on the A1

---------- Post added 04-01-2016 at 22:13 ----------

What car do you drive by the way?

You`ve already asked me this question on this thread.

Is that answering my question ? That said, I have broken down on the A1(M) in a VW LT35 van/truck (it was half way between the two), the cam belt went. If we hadn`t had a hard shoulder to stop on it would have been rather more exciting, and not in a good way......

I have to say I feel safer on the M1 than on the A1

---------- Post added 04-01-2016 at 22:13 ----------

You`ve already asked me this question on this thread.

I'm sorry - I hadnt seen the reply. It took you 3 days to answer the question.

I guess you drive an old, unsafe Ford Focus then. I'd have thought that someone who is so interested in other people's safety when driving, would have purchased a much newer safer car. In the interests of everyone else's safety.

Thanks for answering my question eventually.

I'm sorry - I hadnt seen the reply. It took you 3 days to answer the question.

I guess you drive an old, unsafe Ford Focus then. I'd have thought that someone who is so interested in other people's safety when driving, would have purchased a much newer safer car. In the interests of everyone else's safety.

Thanks for answering my question eventually.

Sorry, you`re saying a Ford Focus is unsafe ? And for whom ? Where do you get that from ?

There`s a slight breakdown on communication here anyway. I am concerned for other road users safety, but I`m actually more concerned for my own safety, and most concerned of all for my families safety, specifically my wife and child. I`d have thought most people would empathise with that.

Sorry, you`re saying a Ford Focus is unsafe ? And for whom ? Where do you get that from ?

There`s a slight breakdown on communication here anyway. I am concerned for other road users safety, but I`m actually more concerned for my own safety, and most concerned of all for my families safety, specifically my wife and child. I`d have thought most people would empathise with that.

It is not i itself unsafe, but a new car, with more stringent safety requirements is safer.

You preach to everyone else regularly about driving safer and how dangerous cars and other drivers are, and this is why I pick you up on it.

Does the Focus have:

Xenon headlights which light up the road brightly, making it easier for you to see others in the dark?

Adaptive headlights - likewise?

Brand new brakes, which allow you to stop more quickly?

Adaptive cruise control?

Collision prevention sensors?

Heads -up display allowing you to keep your eyes on the road without looking down at your speedo to see if you're travelling at 59.9mph or 60.1 mph?

Speed limit setting?

Speed warning notification?

Plenty of airbags around the passengers?

I suspect it doesnt have all of these, and yet you claim to want others to do the utmost to stop accidents happening. Yet you seem to not practise what you preach. Surely you should be saving every penny to make sure that the GERMAN car you buy has these lifesaving gadgets?

It is not i itself unsafe, but a new car, with more stringent safety requirements is safer.

You preach to everyone else regularly about driving safer and how dangerous cars and other drivers are, and this is why I pick you up on it.

Does the Focus have:

Xenon headlights which light up the road brightly, making it easier for you to see others in the dark?

Adaptive cruise control?

Heads -up display allowing you to keep your eyes on the road without looking down at your speedo to see if you're travelling at 59.9mph or 60.1 mph?

Speed limit setting?

I suspect it doesnt have all of these, and yet you claim to want others to do the utmost to stop accidents happening. Yet you seem to not practise what you preach. Surely you should be saving every penny to make sure that the GERMAN car you buy has these lifesaving gadgets?

Oh Ron, there are times that I do indeed love you, you right-wing, capitalistic, car loving scoundrel that you are :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Does the Focus have:

Adaptive cruise control?

Speed limit setting?

Are you taking the *** ? It`s hard to tell on a forum, thus, personally, I try to avoid doing so.......

With the exception of the brakes (which surely goes without saying) and the air bags, I don`t see any of those making a huge difference safety, certainly relative to drivers driving with less aggression, more patience, and more concentration.

"Collision prevention sensors", now there`s a thing, aren`t they called eyes in everyday speak ? Or are we talking about glorified distance sensors ? If so I`d love to know what settings have been inputted, would it be based on the 2 second rule ? If so would they sound (as they should do) every time a driver pulled into a gap (at 7mph) which was less than 131m wide ?

Edited by Justin Smith

Are you taking the *** ? It`s hard to tell on a forum, thus, personally, I try to avoid doing so.......

With the exception of the brakes (which surely goes without saying) and the air bags, I don`t see any of those making a huge difference safety, certainly relative to drivers driving with less aggression, more patience, and more concentration.

"Collision prevention sensors", now there`s a thing, aren`t they called eyes in everyday speak ? Or are we talking about glorified parking distance sensors ?

Pretty well known that more modern cars are safer in all aspects of the NCAP safety rating schemes compared to their older counterparts. So you having an older car means you are making your own family less safe due to that decision regardless of what any other driver out there is doing.

In fact, let's compare your car to the current model. A 1999 Ford Focus gets 4 stars on NCAP for occupants of the car and a lowly 2 stars for pedestrians! The 2012 model gets 5 stars for occupants and 4 stars pedestrians.

Sorry that first paragraph reads needlessly aggressive and unfair. I should have worded it the other way around that you can make your family more safe by buying a newer can rather than implying you choose to make your family unsafer which is neither fair or true.

Edited by sgtkate

"Collision prevention sensors", now there`s a thing, aren`t they called eyes in everyday speak ? Or are we talking about glorified distance sensors ? If so I`d love to know what settings have been inputted, would it be based on the 2 second rule ? If so would they sound (as they should do) every time a driver pulled into a gap (at 7mph) which was less than 131m wide ?

Yes, eyes. That's all you need for this nasty new four lane motorway.