Coffee - Ground vs Instant?

Personally I like the aeropress, moka pot is nice sometimes, but too much faff.

I have never tasted instant coffee that resembles anything like real coffee!

As for Starbucks and Costa............what is it??? Vietnamese rubbish possibly?

I have only ever tasted one instant coffee that was as good as the real thing, and Kenco discontinued it.

The majority of instant coffee I absolutely hate the taste, its either weak and watery or bitter sludge.

Mostly I drink tea, because the effort involved to make a good cup of coffee is so extreme. That said, tea is not as simple as some people think either. You need to spend a minute or two stirring the bags so they properly infuse or it tastes like crap.

I also find it quite funny how expensive Starbucks and Costa are, but I find McDonalds coffee actually tastes nicer and is much cheaper.

I quite agree! My son, and my son in law are both into 'proper' coffee. Last time I tried one, it tasted like soil, but was told it had been ground a few minutes before.

We have proper coffee at the weekend. Our drug of choice is Guatamalan Elephant.

I used to drink pints of real coffee a day but have weened myself off it so now appreciate the rare times we have it.

I cant stand the stuff !!!
I cant either.....It smells good BUT THE TASTE IS AWEFUL!!!!

Personally I like the aeropress, moka pot is nice sometimes, but too much faff.

Looks interesting. Is this guy doing it right?

He's over brewing it, doesn't need 2 minutes in the aeropress.

There are several ways to do it as well, I prefer the inverted technique.

I have only ever tasted one instant coffee that was as good as the real thing, and Kenco discontinued it.

The majority of instant coffee I absolutely hate the taste, its either weak and watery or bitter sludge.

Mostly I drink tea, because the effort involved to make a good cup of coffee is so extreme. That said, tea is not as simple as some people think either. You need to spend a minute or two stirring the bags so they properly infuse or it tastes like crap.

I also find it quite funny how expensive Starbucks and Costa are, but I find McDonalds coffee actually tastes nicer and is much cheaper.

......tea can be quite refreshing.........as long as milk or sugar are not involved!...........I hope Mc'Donalds coffee tastes better than their awful burgers. but I would not take a risk! Edited by mossdog

Disclaimer - the Dutch are mad about coffee, it is our tea.

Our household has 8 different means to make coffee. A bean-to-cup machine, DeLonghi (which I suspect the OP might be referring to?) cost around 300£ and is our heavy lifter. I drink about 3 double coffee (ie. 3x 4x espresso) from this machine each day. Then we have two Nespresso machines, one in the living room and one in the master bedroom, we have one of these in the morning (bedroom) and occasionally one or two in the evening. In the morning it is usually a standard Lungo, in the evening it is usually a special Espresso (The cioccatino is my favourite!). We have a filter-coffee machine, but it hasn't been used since forever and is wasting away in the utility. This is however the preferred Dutch coffee implement, it tends to be a bit weaker than Italian coffee.

Then we have a cafetiere, a proper Espresso maker to go on the hob, a Tassimo (retired once we went with the Nespresso) and instant coffee (Azera, the only one I can stand and Rocket Fuel, the one that gets me through long nights of writing) for when we go away.

If you don't understand why we have that many options, you don't understand coffee, don't worry about it though, each to their own. On a side note though: If you think Costa coffee tastes good, you need to try drinking it without milk and sugar (it is burnt and horrible).

Can't stand coffee I just don't like the taste or the smell of the stuff instant percolated or whatever :gag:

Can't stand coffee I just don't like the taste or the smell of the stuff instant percolated or whatever :gag:
Completely agree!............I was the same until I was introduced to some real coffee!