Drivers of expensive cars : what do they do for a living ? ! ?

No bother at all, sgtkate...although I'm far from an authority on the topic (I refuse to mod ours, because it's a UK car, one of the last Mk1s made, only 1 previous owner (with sub-15kmiles when we bought it ourselves) and still 99% OEM-spec and pretty much mint for the year and mileage). I've just learnt, read and gathered a lot of info and experience in 15 years of ownership, is all :)

MX5Nutz and the 'more liberal' (i.e. not anal-retentive :D) corners of the OC Forum would be a far better resource than I'll likely ever be, for tinkering and track mods.

The (cheaply-) paid-for, go-to resources locally would be 'Rodders' Roddingtons (Shepcote Lane down by J34S, stone's throw away from Meadowhall) and Steve at MX5 Motors in Carcroft (Doncaster North) :)

Think you might mean Roddisons.

PS I remember the old BBR MX5, the Turbocharged one, from when I raced back in the early 90's.

Think you might mean Roddisons.

PS I remember the old BBR MX5, the Turbocharged one, from when I raced back in the early 90's.

I do :blush:

If anyone owns an expensive car then good luck to them, they've worked for it.

No matter what car it is, all cars are expensive.

If anyone owns an expensive car then good luck to them, they've worked for it.

Who could disagree with that ? Just so long as they pay the tax on all their income, obviously

No matter what car it is, all cars are expensive.

I agree with this, It amazes me how so many people can afford to run so many cars.....

As an aside it really is a pity how this interesting thread has degenerated into a Top Gear fanzine, it`s pointless reading it now. Gawd how I hate Clarkson.

. Gawd how I hate Clarkson.
Hate is a strong word .... and for someone you don't even personally know.

You're the 1st person to mention him Justin...

Who could disagree with that ? Just so long as they pay the tax on all their income, obviously

I agree with this, It amazes me how so many people can afford to run so many cars.....

As an aside it really is a pity how this interesting thread has degenerated into a Top Gear fanzine, it`s pointless reading it now. Gawd how I hate Clarkson.

Justin, this thread has degenerated as a result of your inability to listen to people who repeatedly answered your question. You then went on to make some remarks that could be seen as derogatory at which point I think several of us went on a wind up. Next time you post a question about cars, try to listen to the answers given and you might learn something.

You don't spent much on cars we get that, but now either we all earn absolutely shedloads and are sitting back laughing it all up in a mansion in Dore, or we just prioritise a car above some other things. You can believe what you like.

What, you mean ten seconds of actual car talk then an hour wasted sucking up to a celeb with something to hawk and a heavily faked and made up challenge?

Nope, they wouldn't [German traffic police prosecute a driver doing 180mph]. Because there is no speed limit.

Obviously I can't prove a negative, but since lots of people drive at that kind of speed and aren't prosecuted, that's my evidence.

If 180mph was considered dangerous, they'd put a 170mph speed limit in place wouldn't they!

The speed limit is immaterial, you can be done for dangerous driving in this country doing under 70mph. I`d be amazed if German police didn`t consider doing 180mph (on a road with other vehicles on it) was dangerous, and therefore they`d prosecute him. You could argue that if the idiot did 180mph in the middle of the night when there was literally nobody else within a mile of him it`d be different, but I very much doubt anyone would want to be doing 180mph in the dark, not if they had a brain.

We`ve just come back from Tenerife, very nice it was too. Whilst there we got chatting to a German family on the beach. I asked them if a driver could do 180mph (290km/h) on stretch of unrestricted German motorway.

He said in theory they could if there was no other traffic on the road, like in the middle of the night. But if there was any other traffic about they`d definitely be stopped, not for breaking the speed limit but for for dangerous driving.

Which is exactly what I said.

Justin, why do you insist on arguing about things which you clearly have no knowledge of?

You make up a position in the absence of knowledge or facts, and then argue that position despite multiple people telling you it's not the case. And ask for impossible proof of negatives again and again.

Errrrr.....

We`ve just come back from Tenerife, very nice it was too. Whilst there we got chatting to a German family on the beach. I asked them if a driver could do 180mph (290km/h) on stretch of unrestricted German motorway.

He said in theory they could if there was no other traffic on the road, like in the middle of the night. But if there was any other traffic about they`d definitely be stopped, not for breaking the speed limit but for for dangerous driving.

Which is exactly what I said.

Errrrr.....

The Germans have a completely different system of speed limits on the autobahn compared to our motorways. Much of it depends on common sense and road conditions.

They have square blue signs with white numbers. Usually 130. That isn't a speed limit. It indicates a recommended top speed of 130 km/h . Other signs showing the LEGAL maximum use black numbers on a round white sign with a red outline. You exceed that at your peril.

They also use overhead electronic signs indicating speed limits due to conditions and other warnings. Other than that it is left to individual drivers to decide what is safe. This would be different on a deserted stretch at 2am to what might be acceptable on a crowded road at midday. It might in theory be possible to drive at 300kph on the autobahn, but if the police decided that was too fast for the conditions they would pull you for dangerous driving.

German police use unmarked cars (mainly BMWs) and automated roadside radar/photo devices to take pictures of anyone they consider to have crossed the sensibility line. They will fine you and it won't be cheap.

Edited by foxy lady

At what figure would a car become an 'expensive' car?

At what figure would a car become an 'expensive' car?

It becomes an expensive car when it exceeds you budget. Like when you buy a cheap secondhand Porsche a month before you discover it needs a new gearbox.