Drivers of expensive cars : what do they do for a living ? ! ?

I'd rather track my own car, but at a location with plenty of grass instead of barriers.

I do wonder whether your attitude to "fast driving" will still be the same once your child turns up (I hope it all goes fine, I`m sure it will), particularly if it`s a boy. I read something the other day which really bought it home to me, and made me even more determined to try and ensure my son isn`t into cars and all that. Trains, tractors, busses, or even better swimming, in fact anything but cars, or even worse, motorbikes. It was an interview with Mary Berry and in it she talked about the worst night of her life. Her 19 year old son and her daughter were out in the car. They`d been gone quite a while when the doorbell went and it was a policeman. He said "is there anywhere we can sit down ?" I think you can guess the rest....... I`m not having a go here, I would be genuinely interested to know whether parenthood changes your views. Personally I was already very concerned about road safety before my son was born, but afterwards it went up another level.

More judging, this time of a sexist nature implying if I had a girl she wouldn't be into cars. Well I plan to get this MX5 up and running with my dad and as soon as my kid is old enough to hold a spanner (boy or girl) I'll get them involved in car maintenance and learning how it all works. And I AM CONCERNED about car safety. You are seriously getting on my nerves now. How <swearing> DARE you judge me based on the fact I race cars on a TRACK! I do not speed as a regular occurrence on any public roads, I have driving qualifications from my time as a Special Constable and the military so go and shove your issues up your own backside as then you can have a great party trick when you regurgitate it. I have played with you a bit as have others but now you've just gone too far. Anymore unsupported judgements and you'll go on my ignore list.

More judging, this time of a sexist nature implying if I had a girl she wouldn't be into cars. Well I plan to get this MX5 up and running with my dad and as soon as my kid is old enough to hold a spanner (boy or girl) I'll get them involved in car maintenance and learning how it all works. And I AM CONCERNED about car safety. You are seriously getting on my nerves now. How <swearing> DARE you judge me based on the fact I race cars on a TRACK! I do not speed as a regular occurrence on any public roads, I have driving qualifications from my time as a Special Constable and the military so go and shove your issues up your own backside as then you can have a great party trick when you regurgitate it. I have played with you a bit as have others but now you've just gone too far. Anymore unsupported judgements and you'll go on my ignore list.

It's the old "mothers shouldn't do fun stuff in case they die and wont someone think of the children" routine. Alison Hargreaves used to get slated for daring to climb mountains when she had young children, but it was fine for her male companions to climb with her, despite them also having young children...

My Scout group tonight is going to be getting mucky changing the oil and coolant on my Landy (which they now call the ScoutRover and want to paint purple!) Give them any form of independence and trust with with a spanner and they never cease to amaze me, I wish more people would teach their children useful life skills like car maintenance these days.

Sorry, it`s got nothing to do with sexism, it`s objective facts. Young men are far more likely to get killed behind the wheel of a car, or have a serious accident, then young women. That`s why I`d be much more concerned to keep my son out of the "car culture" than any daughter I might have.

I think you and I are suffering from such a breakdown in communication, I certainly didn`t want to upset you over this question, that perhaps you should put me on your ignore list.

Do you plan to not actually allow your son to learn to drive?

Because he's most likely to want to learn to drive, and will probably be a safer driver if he's actually had some experience and responsibility.

The reason young men are more likely to die in car accidents is a combination of male traits and the slower development of the brain... Young men are less able than young women to accurately assess the potential consequences of an action... They also tend to have higher self confidence, and a desire to impress.

Put all those things together and they take larger risks when driving than young women do, and sometimes those risks go badly.

Justin Smith is going for nurture, not nature though. Maybe dress him as a girl until he's 17 to give him a fighting chance at being a safer driver.

I'm sure you've said, but what is this super-safe car that you drive? The one that has terrific brakes and ultra modern safety standards up to the latest euro ncap standards for pedestrian safety and passenger protection?

Justin Smith. Would you mind answering my question please?

Justin Smith. Would you mind answering my question please?

Good luck with that. We are still waiting to find out if hes ever driven on an autobahn :D

Good luck with that. We are still waiting to find out if hes ever driven on an autobahn :D

I know - it does seem bizarre. He claims to want to save others when he and everyone else is driving. He must have done much research into what is the safest car, and I'm very interested to find out what this car is...

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 13:17 ----------

Justin Smith - if you can't remember what car you drive, then perhaps you shouldn't be driving. AT ANY SPEED.

I know - it does seem bizarre. He claims to want to save others when he and everyone else is driving. He must have done much research into what is the safest car, and I'm very interested to find out what this car is...
Isn't Justin the guy that drives in the middle lane for as long as he can't see someone in the inside lane?

If so I'm pretty sure that he drives a Peugeot.

Isn't Justin the guy that drives in the middle lane for as long as he can't see someone in the inside lane?

Oh, yes he is and he dares to have a pop at me stating I don't care about road safety. Oh the merciful irony.

Oh, yes he is and he dares to have a pop at me stating I don't care about road safety. Oh the merciful irony.

\rest safe in the knowledge that if Justin thinks what you do in a car is bad - it probably isn't. And vice versa.

JUSTIN SMITH What car do you drive?????

---------- Post added 17-12-2015 at 13:42 ----------

Do we know a model or year?