Drivers of expensive cars : what do they do for a living ? ! ?

The stock one with the S70 engines will do 190mph, we've had mine up at 205 on the Nordschleife and we think there is probably another 20mph to be had but as you approach 205 you start to get aerodynamic flutter on the front and it's... concerning.

That's impressive stuff. That's faster than Luis Perez Companc managed through the speed trap in his formula one Ferrari.

This is very apt for this thread: An argument

One of the funniest sketches of all time, you vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodorous pervert!

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 14:13 ----------

That's impressive stuff. That's faster than Luis Perez Companc managed through the speed trap in his formula one Ferrari.

Presumeably that wasnt on a Touristfaht day? and you did it on the final straight just after you would usually pull in to go round again?

Car people, i.e. seemingly anyone who isn't Justin, shall we put Justin on ignore and have a thread about cars? :hihi:

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 13:49 ----------

Threads like these are great to see another side of people on here away from the politics! Most people have as many things in common as do our differences. Perhaps we could organise an SFers track day? Get a decent car hired between us depending on budgets and take turns? I'm out of the track driving game for a while sadly but maybe end of next summer?

Sadly I've just gone the other way entirely and bought an old Discovery to do up and go offroading in, but I could be interested in such an event regardless...

I think it's safe to summarise that Justin
  1. isn't a car person (now that he's grown up...whatever that means),
  2. doesn't like to spend much on cars,
  3. doesn't like it when other people spend more than him on cars,
  4. still doesn't understand how other people spend more than him on cars,
  5. doesn't believe that an unrestricted section of Autobahn in Germany means exactly what it says on the tin,
  6. doesn't believe that driving a car at fairly high speeds can ever be safe outside a private track (or enjoyable for that matter...see (1) above)

Anything I've missed? :confused:

:D

perfectly summed up:hihi: i bet hes hilarious at parties:roll:

I think he probably had to cope with corners and whatnot though!

I think he probably had to cope with corners and whatnot though!

Be interested to know how you got round the Nordschleif with out going round any corners?

It would appear so... :hihi:

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 13:38 ----------

Our highway code is very strict and prescriptive. So is the German's, but they do have derestricted parts of hte Autobahn where wou can drive at whatever speed is safe.

I don't doubt that, but my God..........180mph+!!!!!!! I would surely require new under crackers by the end of it:roll:

Be interested to know how you got round the Nordschleif with out going round any corners?

Yes it is an interesting one. It actually has more corners than any other race circuit in the world. It also has a speed limit on the main straight of 250kph (155mph), including during races.

This isn't a problem for the private individuals though as the start finish of the lap is facilitated by making the main straight the waiting area for those about to start a lap and the finish line cuts out the straight itself.

If you really want a great experience there are "Nurburgring Taxis". These are 560bhp BMW M5s driven by top racing drivers who will take you round on a racing lap at speeds approaching the circuit's 155 speed limit. Mind you it costs around £200.

If you really want a great experience there are "Nurburgring Taxis". These are 560bhp BMW M5s driven by top racing drivers who will take you round on a racing lap at speeds approaching the circuit's 155 speed limit. Mind you it costs around £200.

As far as I know, you can still pay for Sabine Schmitz to blast you around it in a GT3 for about 800 Euros..

As far as I know, you can still pay for Sabine Schmitz to blast you around it in a GT3 for about 800 Euros..

That sounds about right. Mind you the taxis will take 3 passengers, although I wouldn't want to be in the back.

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/ring-taxi.php

Tickets cost €225 per car and can be booked with the Nurburgring directly . Split three ways this is good value considering the cost to BMW of running the service is reputed to be over €400 per lap.

Edited by foxy lady

You really are a judgemental muppet, while trying to pretend to yourself you aren't. And yes I was being serious, I drive on tracks with both my own car and hired ones quite regularly. My Dad and I are looking at buying an old MX5 to purely do track days in. He's retired and was once a mechanic so we can probably do the car up between us. I love driving fast, but am unable to do so safely or legally on UK roads so I don't. The idea to me of driving down a road doing 180mph excites me and if I crash and injure myself that's my call. Pretty simple.

Quite......

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 17:33 ----------

I think it's safe to summarise that Justin
  1. isn't a car person (now that he's grown up...whatever that means),
  2. doesn't like to spend much on cars,
  3. doesn't like it when other people spend more than him on cars,
  4. still doesn't understand how other people spend more than him on cars,
  5. doesn't believe that an unrestricted section of Autobahn in Germany means exactly what it says on the tin,
  6. doesn't believe that driving a car at fairly high speeds can ever be safe outside a private track (or enjoyable for that matter...see (1) above)

Anything I've missed? :confused:

:D

1 You are correct

2 You are correct

3 Don`t know where you got that from, why should I care how much anyone else spends on their car. Where have I said I do ?

4 I do understand, even more so now. I`m just interested how much they earn when they spend what they do And in fact how much they earn, not out of envy, just curiosity.

5 I`m making no further comment on this stupid forum argument.

6 Driving faster is more dangerous, that`s an indisputable fact. Quite apart from anything else the formula for kinetic energy makes this unarguable. I`m making no further comment on road safety v speeding drivers because that isn`t what this thread is about, it`s just degenerating into the Auto Posse trying to convince themselves they`re not being selfish by driving faster. I know exactly, because all the arguments they come out with are the ones I used to use. The difference is even back then I was never fully convinced, but tried to ignore any inconvenient truths......

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 17:39 ----------

Attempting to return to something of interest, I think Cyclone`s poll on car value v salary is very interesting. I`d just point out that for many married couples what`s more relevant is the value of both spouses cars v combined income. I also think a poll on car(s) value v total nett worth would be illuminating. I do concede it`d be more complicated to formulate.

Edited by Justin Smith

Quite......

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 17:33 ----------

1 You are correct

2 You are correct

3 Don`t know where you got that from, why should I care how much anyone else spends on their car. Where have I said I do ?

4 I do understand, even more so now. I`m just interested how much they earn when they spend what they do And in fact how much they earn, not out of envy, just curiosity.

5 I`m making no further comment on this stupid forum argument.

6 Driving faster is more dangerous, that`s an indisputable fact. Quite apart from anything else the formula for kinetic energy makes this unarguable. I`m making no further comment on road safety v speeding drivers because that isn`t what this thread is about, it`s just degenerating into the Auto Posse trying to convince themselves they`re not being selfish by driving faster. I know exactly, because all the arguments they come out with are the ones I used to use. The difference is even back then I was never fully convinced, but tried to ignore any inconvenient truths......

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 17:39 ----------

Attempting to return to something of interest, I think Cyclone`s poll on car value v salary is very interesting. I`d just point out that for many married couples what`s more relevant is the value of both spouses cars v combined income. I also think a poll on car(s) value v total nett worth would be illuminating. I do concede it`d be more complicated to formulate.

Car posse. We've won. Good effort. Now back to the cars, track days and go karting.