Drivers of expensive cars : what do they do for a living ? ! ?

Shout all you like about it - they wont do a thing if you are driving safely. In congestion - they will throw the book at you. Quite rightly. But an aware, considerate, fast reacting driver thinking ahead, they will leave alone.

Driving at 180mph when there`s any other traffic within a mile of you is quiet patently not safe, that`s obvious, and that`s all I`m saying on this because this is turning from an interesting thread into a stupid "forum argument".

Edited by Justin Smith

It is though. A guideline is not a limit above which you will be prosecuted.

(Only about 40% is unlimited).

The guideline is best described as a reversal of proof - if you crash at over 130kph then they assume it's your fault and you pay the costs unless you can show otherwise.

But as you say, its a guideline not a law. Most of the dangerous (read 2-lanes) autobahn is restricted as you say.

I suppose we can now say our highway code is just a guideline, even though most of us stick to it.

I've never seen such speeds on the autobahn.

Driving at 180mph when there`s any other traffic within a mile of you is quiet patently not safe, that`s obvious, and that`s all I`m saying on this because this is turning from an interesting thread into a stupid "forum argument".

For the third time.

Have you ever driven on the unrestricted autobahn.

If you refuse to reply I'll assume the answer is no and correct your misconceptions accordingly.

It would appear so... :hihi:

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 13:38 ----------

I suppose we can now say our highway code is just a guideline, even though most of us stick to it.

I've never seen such speeds on the autobahn.

Our highway code is very strict and prescriptive. So is the German's, but they do have derestricted parts of hte Autobahn where wou can drive at whatever speed is safe.

Are you being serious...... Surely not.

You really are a judgemental muppet, while trying to pretend to yourself you aren't. And yes I was being serious, I drive on tracks with both my own car and hired ones quite regularly. My Dad and I are looking at buying an old MX5 to purely do track days in. He's retired and was once a mechanic so we can probably do the car up between us. I love driving fast, but am unable to do so safely or legally on UK roads so I don't. The idea to me of driving down a road doing 180mph excites me and if I crash and injure myself that's my call. Pretty simple.

OK stop now sgtKate I'm falling in love.... :love: :love:

Car people, i.e. seemingly anyone who isn't Justin, shall we put Justin on ignore and have a thread about cars? :hihi:

---------- Post added 16-12-2015 at 13:49 ----------

OK stop now sgtKate I'm falling in love.... :love: :love:

Threads like these are great to see another side of people on here away from the politics! Most people have as many things in common as do our differences. Perhaps we could organise an SFers track day? Get a decent car hired between us depending on budgets and take turns? I'm out of the track driving game for a while sadly but maybe end of next summer?

I think it's safe to summarise that Justin

1. isn't a car person (now that he's grown up...whatever that means),
  2. doesn't like to spend much on cars,
  3. doesn't like it when other people spend more than him on cars,
  4. still doesn't understand how other people spend more than him on cars,
  5. doesn't believe that an unrestricted section of Autobahn in Germany means exactly what it says on the tin,
  6. doesn't believe that driving a car at fairly high speeds can ever be safe outside a private track (or enjoyable for that matter...see (1) above)

Anything I've missed? :confused:

:D

Welcome to the drivers club Loob. Shall I add you to the track day list? :D

Welcome to the drivers club Loob. Shall I add you to the track day list? :D
Sure :thumbsup:

Already have the Mk1 MX5 (not track-prepped though, stock 1.8...but with Rodder's tracking done and his recommended rubber of choice on all 4 corners, less than 500 miles on them).

Won't bother with the Cooper S as I just still can't get seated "right" in it (it's really hard to find a better seating than the MX5 in 'conventional' cars). I'm not particularly tall and still reasonably fit, but the seats are just not supportive enough laterally, and they are at this annoying 'too high to be sporty, too low to be comfy' level. And don't mention the gearbox and gearknob. Eurgh. And that FWD handling feels just...wrong. It'd been that long I hadn't driven a FWD car, never mind hard and fast spiritedly, I'd forgotten all about understeer. It didn't waste any time reminding me, these past few wet days :o:D

May be able to get a loan of a Robin Hood with a race tuned, 2 stage-nitro'd Pinto block (be sure to leave dentures, wigs and any other accessories and ornaments by the start line) :D

How about we start the SF petrolheadz club with an indoor kart session instead?

Edited by L00b