Religion makes you meaner

These are two of your posts using your strawman

#21 The results of the study if you read it is that a Christian child gave away 3.5 stickers compared to a non religious child who gave away 4.

#28 So you extrapolated not giving half a sticker as making all the difference to all people who have a religion. Awesome.

If you had read the study you'd clearly not be making these statements, unless you were specifically looking to attack other posters by insinuating they had latched onto only the stickers element of the study.

Pretty cheap ;)

Im off out, so brief response. I always thought a straw man argument was advancing one which was not actually made. I dont believe either of those did.

#21 is highlighting the fact that in the test of altruism the difference is half a sticker 4 v 3.5. Im happy to discuss the whole testing results and what I think you cna draw from the conclusions. I dont have a problem with the study, although it does have limitations as being quite generalised.

#28 just indicates my scepticicsm as to the conclusions were reading fro the sudy i.e I know a few people who went to church who were really mean= religious people being hypocrites.

Am quite happy to discuss the study or the issues, but it would be nice if people who are jumping in might read even the Guardian article Zamo originally posted to understand what point his op was raising.

Im off out, so brief response. I always thought a straw man argument was advancing one which was not actually made. I dont believe either of those did.

#21 is highlighting the fact that in the test of altruism the difference is half a sticker 4 v 3.5. Im happy to discuss the whole testing results and what I think you cna draw from the conclusions. I dont have a problem with the study, although it does have limitations as being quite generalised.

#28 just indicates my scepticicsm as to the conclusions were reading fro the sudy i.e I know a few people who went to church who were really mean= religious people being hypocrites.

Am quite happy to discuss the study or the issues, but it would be nice if people who are jumping in might read even the Guardian article Zamo originally posted to understand what point his op was raising.

'A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.'

You used a strawman. You tried to make it appear that I was only focused on the stickers element of the study, which wasn't true. My posts that you replied to made it clear that based on my experiences I wasn't surprised by the results of the study.

And here you are still trying to imply that people haven't read the study when your posts #21 and #28 make to clear you couldn't have read it, at least at the time you made the posts.

'A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.'

You used a strawman. You tried to make it appear that I was only focused on the stickers element of the study, which wasn't true. My posts that you replied to made it clear that based on my experiences I wasn't surprised by the results of the study.

And here you are still trying to imply that people haven't read the study when your posts #21 and #28 make to clear you couldn't have read it, at least at the time you made the posts.

We arent really going to agree on this. I had read the study at the time, clearly you arent going to agree, but then so be it. I had read it, since it was the thing I looked at after reading the Guardian article. I was pointing out that one of they key tests for meanness was a difference of 0.5 stickers from which people were then reaching all sorts of conclusions about adults. Im fine with discussing other aspects of the study.

We arent really going to agree on this. I had read the study at the time, clearly you arent going to agree, but then so be it. I had read it, since it was the thing I looked at after reading the Guardian article. I was pointing out that one of they key tests for meanness was a difference of 0.5 stickers from which people were then reaching all sorts of conclusions about adults. Im fine with discussing other aspects of the study.

But I wasn't extrapolating anything from the study, I never mentioned the stickers once and all I did was say I wasn't surprised by the study.

I'm never going to agree you were right to use a strawman argument against me on that basis. There isnt anything to agree to.

Jesus Camp would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. What a waste of lives.

That "either one or the other" mentality is in all religions because they were all designed to unite and control people and to smite their enemies.

All religions are inherently evil, twisting people. It doesn't matter if a religion is toned down because at its core its been designed to kill non-followers. No matter much toning down you do that evil core will remain. You see it flash to the surface from time to time on here when religious types get upset.

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 11:47 ----------

Yeah really nice and friendly. Except that they secretly think that you face eternal hell and damnation because you don't believe in Jesus.

And how would you know what I secretly think? By definition, it's secret.

Have you read the actual study?

As you are happy to quote correlation is not causation, then you might wnat to apply it in this case. Go and read the study. The jump from what the conlcusions are in the study to the generalised annecdotal extrapolations on this forum are highly dubious.

Go and read the study.

I already agreed that correlation is not causation, what do you want, a song and a dance?

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 19:37 ----------

..........care to explain your mirth?

I thought it was quite clear from my comments about Odin and Zeus. :suspect:

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 19:40 ----------

What is your objection to the sticker part of the study?

Are you just claiming that the difference is minimal (nobody said it was massive), or that because the study was only of children it shouldn't be generalised to adults?

Read the link posted above.

It is incredibly difficult (if not impossible) to be both objective and intelligent and believe in the ludicrous stuff in religion. For instance, I assume you believe that Muhammed flew up to the moon on a magic horse and sliced it in half.

Tell me objectively that is an intelligent view to have.

I notice mafya has chosen not to answer you.Maybe he has taken a step back and has realised that most religious scripts are what we would call science fiction stories today.The religious books may be works of fiction for all they know.I could imagine that if we sent say the magician Dynamo back in time to the time when these scriptures were supposedly written they would think that he was a god because of the brilliance of his illusions, but the reality is that most of us know that they are just illusions.Vulnerable people can be easily fooled especially when you are a child.

Edited by ghost rider

I notice mafya has chosen not to answer you.Maybe he has taken a step back and has realised that most religious scripts are what we would call science fiction stories today.The religious books may be works of fiction for all they know.I could imagine that if we sent say the magician Dynamo back in time to the time when these scriptures were supposedly written they would think that he was a god because of the brilliance of his illusions, but the reality is that most of us know that they are just illusions.Vulnerable people can be easily fooled especially when you are a child.
There's, sadly, plenty of people in 2015 who think Dynamo is some kind of demon and that he uses 'real' (supernatural) magic.

There's, sadly, plenty of people in 2015 who think Dynamo is some kind of demon and that he uses 'real' (supernatural) magic.

As for Halloween, those demons are real all right.

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/52738-why-christians-absolutely-should-not-celebrate-halloween

Strangely, the author of that 'article' thinks that Halloween is a celebration of evil, providing bible quotes as (false) reasons to not celebrate it.

This is a good example of how religion can be used to manipulate.