Religion makes you meaner

It isn't.

Its a symbol introduced after Jesus and mainly by the founder of Christianity, Paul.

And as to your first point, wrong again- the splitting of the moon has nothing to do with the crecent.

May be stop trying to learn Islam from GOOGOOLAND and youtube.

What on earth makes you think I have learnt islam from YouTube. I own two Qu'rans (I lent my first copy to someone else and they only returned it after about 18 months). I am genuinely the only person i know to have read the Quran and the major haddiths in their entirety. I have also read the bible from front to back.

The crescent moon was actually taken from a tribe that Oman conquered, he apparently liked it as it reminded him of the Prophet and his alleged miracle. Now admittedly this is conjecture and historians have different views on the subject. As Osman isn't around to ask we can only but guess, like with a lot of history.

However, the main point of the post you quoted was that Muslims do indeed believe that Muhammed split the moon, something that someone called Mafya, who claims to be a Muslim, but is perhaps making it up, denies happened. He even called it tripe (which it actually obviously is, no rational person can believe it actually happened). If you disagree with me on that tiny part of the post, that's fine. Neither of us can prove we are right.

From the Guardian...

Christians and Muslims have allegedly reacted with anger at the findings and called for those behind the study to be investigated for religious hatred and punished. Uh-huh.

Who'd have thought it... teaching kids about a judgemental, intolerant, vindictive and vengeful god turns them into mini-me versions of their god. Can we possible learn from this knowledge?

Maybe judgemental, intolerant, vindictive and vengeful people are more likely to turn to religion?

Maybe judgemental, intolerant, vindictive and vengeful people are more likely to turn to religion?

Maybe but the evidence seems to suggest that religion doesn't cure them!

I also think that it is safe to say that most people with religious beliefs don't actually choose their religion - especially children. Religion is generally bestowed on people by virtue of their family/community/culture. There are obviously some exception to the rule but not enough to assume the the meanness found in the study is actually caused by nature instead of nurture.

Possibly, but unlikely. The vast majority of religious people are religious from birth, ie indoctrinated by their parents.

I also think that it is safe to say that most people with religious beliefs don't actually choose their religion - especially children. Religion is generally bestowed on people by virtue of their family/community/culture. There are obviously some exception to the rule but not enough to assume the the meanness found in the study is actually caused by nature instead of nurture.

True, I was just being a little mischievous.

I don't think so. Just because the religion is nature instead of nurture doesn't mean that the effects on human personality of said religion is down to nature.

You are absolutely right that religion and race/culture are inextricably linked. A child born in Somalia today is almost guaranteed to be a Muslim, in the same was that they would be almost guaranteed to be black.

However, it is the nurturing of the child within the Islamic tradition that would cause the perceived negative impacts on their development that have been highlighted within the thread.

The same would be true of an Irish child born into Catholicism or a Hindu Indian child.

I don't think so. Just because the religion is nature instead of nurture doesn't mean that the effects on human personality of said religion is down to nature.

You are absolutely right that religion and race/culture are inextricably linked. A child born in Somalia today is almost guaranteed to be a Muslim, in the same was that they would be almost guaranteed to be black.

However, it is the nurturing of the child within the Islamic tradition that would cause the perceived negative impacts on their development that have been highlighted within the thread.

The same would be true of an Irish child born into Catholicism or a Hindu Indian child.

I said that there some mean people will have been drawn to religion but NOT enough to assume the issue is one of nature instead of nurture. I agree with you completely... it is nurture!