Religion makes you meaner

From the Guardian...

Christians and Muslims have allegedly reacted with anger at the findings and called for those behind the study to be investigated for religious hatred and punished. Uh-huh.

Who'd have thought it... teaching kids about a judgemental, intolerant, vindictive and vengeful god turns them into mini-me versions of their god. Can we possible learn from this knowledge?

It would be interesting to know the political backgrounds of the 'non-religious' in the study.

The head teacher at the school I work at is a Christian and I never met a more nasty or mean woman in my life.

In my own life, I don't know that many adults that are religious, or would class themselves as profoundly religious, but the ones that are I find to be kind and considerate. That sharply contrasts with the 'fire and brimstone' impression that is often presented in the media. I'm not saying that the media, or in this case academia seek to deliberately misrepresent religion, and those that have devout religious beliefs; but I think a lot of important nuances are missed. And it can be used to make sweeping generalisations.

Yes there's a great deal of cruelty and hypocrisy in religion, and of the religious, that's hardly news. We know that. Maybe it's those high up in their respective religions that are most guilty of this. But the non religious can lead by example, and not use this as a stick to beat others with?

Religious people also have a lower IQ and lower levels of education on average.

Amongst the premises behind this study is the claim that 84% of the world population is 'religious'.

So are you basing that v aethetists article?

From my own experience of working with and knowing quite a few Christians (of the born again types) I have to say a number often were amongst the most nasty people I ever met. I could never square their religious stance with the utter disdain they oftn showed to others.

I can totally believe the results of the study. Makes total sense.

Agreed. Just about every Christian I have ever met has been a really nice and helpful person. This study neglects to understand then Christianity teaches "Love thy Neighbour".

Amazing how people are willing to declare scientific results to be cobblers because it doesn't happen to match their preconceptions!

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 13:46 ----------

Whilst it is hard to find the raw data, it would appear that the conclusions (which may well be statistically valid) are drawn from variations between groups as close as whether they were willing to share either 3 or 4 stickers with others (out of 10)

Muslim kids averaged willingness to share 3.02 stickers, Christians - 3.33 stickers and 'non-religious' - 4.09 stickers, with Standard Deviations around 2.

So statistic says that if you will share 3 stickers out of your 10 then you are 'mean', but if you share 4 stickers out of your 10, you are not. Childrens' ages ranged from 5 to 12.

Make of that what you will.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822%2815%2901167-7

The quote the OP supplied didn't say "children from religious households are mean". That's a poor paraphrasing that appears to have been adopted.

They found that religious belief is a negative influence on children’s altruism.

That's what it said, and if the numbers you quoted are accurate then it seems like a reasonable conclusion to draw.

From my own experience of working with and knowing quite a few Christians (of the born again types) I have to say a number often were amongst the most nasty people I ever met. I could never square their religious stance with the utter disdain they oftn showed to others.

I can totally believe the results of the study. Makes total sense.

The results of the study if you read it is that a Christian child gave away 3.5 stickers compared to a non religious child who gave away 4.

In my own life, I don't know that many adults that are religious, or would class themselves as profoundly religious, but the ones that are I find to be kind and considerate. That sharply contrasts with the 'fire and brimstone' impression that is often presented in the media. I'm not saying that the media, or in this case academia seek to deliberately misrepresent religion, and those that have devout religious beliefs; but I think a lot of important nuances are missed. And it can be used to make sweeping generalisations.

Yes there's a great deal of cruelty and hypocrisy in religion, and of the religious, that's hardly news. We know that. Maybe it's those high up in their respective religions that are most guilty of this. But the non religious can lead by example, and not use this as a stick to beat others with?

I know quite a few religious followers. On the surface God fearing givers with the face of respectability. Mostly they are of Conservative or right thinking stock. Below the surface, mean self centered individuals who can afford to buy (rather than give). Philanthropy and altruism being a means to gain recognition and social status which is likely the motive. Cynical maybe, but religion tends to throw me that way.

I know quite a few religious followers. On the surface God fearing givers with the face of respectability. Mostly they are of Conservative or right thinking stock. Below the surface, mean self centered individuals who can afford to buy (rather than give). Philanthropy and altruism being a means to gain recognition and social status which is likely the motive. Cynical maybe, but religion tends to throw me that way.

I was reading an article in today's Guardian about how Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber flew across the Atlantic to vote in the House of Lords to vote to take away tax credits from the poorest in Britain.

Lloyd Webber is very rich, a billionaire; and even has a charitable foundation named after him.

In his instance, religion like politics, is a justification for being mean and selfish. And his charitable foundation can't hide that.

From the Guardian...

Christians and Muslims have allegedly reacted with anger at the findings and called for those behind the study to be investigated for religious hatred and punished. Uh-huh.

Who'd have thought it... teaching kids about a judgemental, intolerant, vindictive and vengeful god turns them into mini-me versions of their god. Can we possible learn from this knowledge?

Anything that says 'Follow my word or die' or words to that effect is pretty cruel so yes i can fully accept religious kids are generally more cruel than non religious kids.

The Muslim and Christian response is hilarious but they are so dim they dont see they more or less prove there point with their calls for people to be punished