Beauchief Hotel closing?

I confess that is is a while since I darkened the doors of a Wetherspoons.

It is entirely possible that the astonishing number of customers I noticed who were either morbidly obese or appeared malnourished might have since become more elderly and lost weight through malnutrition brought on by poor quality cheap food, or put on weight through excess cheap beer and pies.

The places smell as well but that's mainly because of the alarming number of Fosters supping smokers standing in the doorways.

On the upside The Francis Newton is convenient for hospital goers. Do they provide drip stands for the smokers?

That's more like it!

I aim to please. That will be £18.35, no discounts for pensioners, students, or the unwaged.

The Prince of Wales has been an Ember Inn in the past, but the last couple of years it's been a 'Country Dining Inn', even though it's in the city. Went once, didn't like it.

There's only a tiny bar area and it's not a pub any more.

Agreed.

My bet is the same will happen to BC. Lounge to become Dining Room and if lucky tap room will remain for drinkers but smell of food will pervade the area no doubt.

I hope I'm wrong.

I have nothing against pubs providing food, but I like them to still remain mainly a pub.

I have nothing against pubs providing food, but I like them to still remain mainly a pub.

not many pubs left that survive without offering food, the pub chain that operate the Broadfield seem to have got the balance just right, good well cooked food at a reasonable price with beers to suit the enthusiast.

not many pubs left that survive without offering food, the pub chain that operate the Broadfield seem to have got the balance just right, good well cooked food at a reasonable price with beers to suit the enthusiast.

Agreed, up to a point. happily the Broadfield has 2 large rooms and can cope with a clear division.

The beers are not as interesting now though since they started introducing more of their own at the expense of better alternatives.

Agreed, up to a point. happily the Broadfield has 2 large rooms and can cope with a clear division.

The beers are not as interesting now though since they started introducing more of their own at the expense of better alternatives.

Sadly the same in most of the True North Brew Co (formally FCB) outlets.

The reason that chain pubs end up as chain restaurants is because they don't look after their beer (who knows why) so only have a couple on at a time, which are easier to look after. That in turn means that they are only worth staying for one or two pints, unless you drink the same thing all night, which not so many people do now.

However if you have something like the PoW its actually not worth going to at all because its out on a limb so why go to a place that isn't part of a crawl for one or two?

Solution! Owners make it a foody destination which actually might be worth spending a couple of hours in.

Incidentally I agree with your original point :)

The entire contents were sold yesterday at an auction on site, sad to see an original railway hotel gone, the stone over the door is engraved "Station Hotel Abbeydale", suppose that will end up in a skip when they knock the old place down and build much needed unaffordable executive apartments. Great pity.

The entire contents were sold yesterday at an auction on site, sad to see an original railway hotel gone, the stone over the door is engraved "Station Hotel Abbeydale", suppose that will end up in a skip when they knock the old place down and build much needed unaffordable executive apartments. Great pity.

Yeah and like the ones opposite to me its an awful place to live 2 really busy roads at either side and a railway at the other would not be my choice.

I notice the new ones across the road, Abbey view are going for £375,000!

What a shame it's closing down

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 18:59 ----------

It's such a nice building

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 19:00 ----------

Shame the restaurant didn't work out too

What a shame it's closing down

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 18:59 ----------

It's such a nice building

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 19:00 ----------

Shame the restaurant didn't work out too

I think it's 5 posts for advertising, although I could be wrong :)