Beauchief Hotel closing?

Well some people must consider Wetherspoons as splendid, I can personally vouch for the fact that the Chapeltown, Ecclesall rd and Woodseats outlets were busy over xmas, where other local pubs appeared to barely get by. Why assume everyone's tastes are as yours?

yes i am sure they do and good luck to them, i went to the francis newton once to eat and it was dire, wetherspoons cater for a certain market, cheap and cheerful nowt wrong with that, but no music basic food does not make a good pub? the Beauchief wouldnt last five mins as a wetherspoons a similar operation at the waggon and horses is struggling and catering to any of the cheaper end. you only have to visit the Robin hood or rising sun to see where the money is being spent.

yes i am sure they do and good luck to them, i went to the francis newton once to eat and it was dire, wetherspoons cater for a certain market, cheap and cheerful nowt wrong with that, but no music basic food does not make a good pub? the Beauchief wouldnt last five mins as a wetherspoons a similar operation at the waggon and horses is struggling and catering to any of the cheaper end. you only have to visit the Robin hood or rising sun to see where the money is being spent.

You fall into the same trap, YOU thought the food was dire, plenty think the food is exceptional value. YOU think "no music basic food does not make a good pub" (sic), some I suspect may disagree strongly with that opinion also. The Waggon and horses does play music but the food is very expensive when (frequently) compared to similar fare at Wetherspoons.

Edited by beefface

I ought Robin Hood and Rising Sun were both cheap , chainy places (Ember) - ?

You fall into the same trap, YOU thought the food was dire, plenty think the food is exceptional value. YOU think "no music basic food does not make a good pub" (sic), some I suspect may disagree strongly with that opinion also. The Waggon and horses does play music but the food is very expensive when (frequently) compared to similar fare at Wetherspoons.

correct i did and thats my opinion, i prefer a better class of food not based on a price point which some clearly base their decisions on, i also like a bit of atmosphere that music brings, you can say the waggon food is more expensive but its far better than wetherspoons but still appeals to the lower end of the market, like i said good luck to wetherspoons they are catering to a market which wouldnt work at the Beauchief, as someone already said they wouldn't get the tables turned enough to make it worthwhile in this area.

---------- Post added 13-01-2016 at 15:16 ----------

I ought Robin Hood and Rising Sun were both cheap , chainy places (Ember) - ?

they are chain places both Vintage i think not Ember? but a good step up foodwise and certainly decor and ambience wise, not Haute Cuisine, not cheap but mid range pub grub.

On the subject of chains, I fear the worst for the splendid pub that was the Banner Cross!

On the subject of chains, I fear the worst for the splendid pub that was the Banner Cross!

What's happening? I noticed it's covered in scaffolding and they're doing up the exterior.

Me too. The writing is literally on the wall and it says 'craft beer' (oh dear). I also saw grey satin paint on the woodwork (oh dear again).

Well if it becomes a pub selling craft beer it's not necessarily ruined. I'd be more concerned if it became a gastro-pub or a Flaming Grill or Ember Inn.

They're talking about turning It into four luxury apartments. But then I also heard it was going to be a Chinese or Thai restaurant??

Me too. The writing is literally on the wall and it says 'craft beer' (oh dear). I also saw grey satin paint on the woodwork (oh dear again).

Hahaha. In that case it might be worth going into. Might have a wander up there and to the Greystones as haven't been right up that end of town for ages.

---------- Post added 13-01-2016 at 15:16 ----------

[/color]

they are chain places both Vintage i think not Ember? but a good step up foodwise and certainly decor and ambience wise, not Haute Cuisine, not cheap but mid range pub grub.

My OH ate at Robin Hood with a group of friends and their families and it was good. The same cannot be said for the Waggon & Horses I`m afraid. Pretty gross food catering for those in search of blocked arteries.

My OH ate at Robin Hood with a group of friends and their families and it was good. The same cannot be said for the Waggon & Horses I`m afraid. Pretty gross food catering for those in search of blocked arteries.

yes i agree, always had a good meal at RH! as i said Waggon /Flaming grill cater to a market cheaper americanised grill food great once in a while but not regularly