Back to Back Terraces

Were there ever any proper back to back terraced houses in Sheffield? I mean the ones where they are literally one building with two houses back to back (not the ones with yards and alleys in between.) Probably built in the Industrial revolution to house workers they were of a poor standard . Are there any left does anyone know?

I think the last Sheffield back to back houses in original condition were in Heeley and the were demolished in the late 70's early 80's. There was a sort of half hearted campaign to save some for posterity but it came to nothing. If you check out old Ordnance Survey maps and a look on picturesheffield you'll find plenty of back to backs.

Edited by 1789a
context

A lot can be seen on the 1950s maps on the Sheffield History website, e.g. this one of Netherthorpe (look at the area between Martin Street and Wentworth Street):

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-188-1220941618.jpg

There are a handful of examples of pairs of back to backs which survive but have been "knocked through" to form a single through terrace. I understand there are a couple like this on Milton Street, off Hanover Way: they can be seen as back to backs on

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-188-1220941303.jpg

and are still there.

There was a lot of back to back houses around Bellfield Street, Hunt Street, and Hammond Street as I used to deliver papers around that area in the 1950s half of my round was about 150 Stars and only 3 or 4 streets as most yards were in double figures delivering back and front, second half of my round was about 100 and it would only take around 30 to 40 minutes for both lots to be done.

Don't think there are any left in a forward looking modern city like Sheffield, but there are loads in backward places like Leeds and other West Yorks town, like Huddersfield ;)

Since they got plumbing in it's no worse than living in a one bed flat really?