Back to Back Terraces

Did they have a son called Patrick, there was afamily called Moor who had four girls one being Sandra who was a friend of mine plus Christine Kathleen cant remember the other, don't know where they all slept though! one of the few famalies on the street that owned a car aswell, remember them taking me to Abbydale Park in the car thought I was in the countyside!

Yes Patrick was my friend. The moor family rings a bell.

I lived in one at the top of Alexandra Rd 11/court3 in a yard at the junction of Heeley green Rd and Denmark Rd back in the fifty's.

Back when the Round house pub was on the junction of Heely green Rd Richards Rd and Gleadless Rd

We were posh because we had an off shot kitchen on ours but there was no hot water back then of course,we shared an out door toilet (Where I learned to whistle) and we had a coal cellar, living room, bedroom and attic (My room), the attic didn't have a door just a hand rail across the top of the stairs to help in case you sleep walked.

Edited by grinder

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I was told "Garret Eight" was a corruption of the proper name: "Garret Height".

A "Garret" (or Attic) is name for a room/bedroom built into the roof of a building.

Hope this helps.

Regards

That makes sense. I have always been curious about it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My sister moved quite recently from a really quite big back to back terraced house in Halifax. It is quite early Victorian in style, on 4 floors, with lead lined wooden cisterned loo in the basement (which is open to the street and has windows and 2 bedrooms down there), then big living room and kitchen on the ground floor, a huge bathroom and another bedroom on the first floor and 2 more bedrooms in the attic.

This is pretty much standard for the many back to back terraces still in use up there, so it sounds very different to the sort of back to backs that everybody seems to remember in Sheffield. They're a git to keep the roof in good condition and not leaking though, because the valley gutter between the rows of houses needs to be able to drain a huge amount of water when it rains heavily and a leak can affect 4 houses from one leaky spot.