Sheffields ugly buildings

So you dont like anything modern then :-( Well thats not the way to progress ...

Wow, you've got me there. I don't like anything modern. Down with modern things! Down with them, I say! And progress too!

...although surely everything hallowed by antiquity and familiarity was 'modern' once!

• 1 month later...

Over the last ten years or so Sheffield has witnessed some of the most horrendous Architecture ever inflicted on the City.

Number one has to be the awful structure at Brookhill on the site that used house Jessops Hospital .

It looks similar to a giant tennis ball that has been encased in a colander it makes no attempt what so ever to fit in with the surrounding environment or to have any redeeming feature to enhance the area at all.

Number two on the list is the Multi Floor sky scraper building that is just of the Piece Gardens [a private apartment building I presume ].

How could this monstrosity have passed the council planners .

The building completely over powers the lovely square that houses the winter gardens and St Pauls hotel as well as the Lyceum and Crucible theatres.

Number three is the Mosque at Heeley a building so at odds with its surroundings as to be beyond belief .

The Green towers stick up into the sky as though they have been designed by an alien from another Planet and it is another build that has made no attempt to fit in with the traditional Sheffield landscape or area.

Any more contenders welcome.

Over the last ten years or so Sheffield has witnessed some of the most horrendous Architecture ever inflicted on the City.

Number one has to be the awful structure at Brookhill on the site that used house Jessops Hospital .

It looks similar to a giant tennis ball that has been encased in a colander it makes no attempt what so ever to fit in with the surrounding environment or to have any redeeming feature to enhance the area at all.

Number two on the list is the Multi Floor sky scraper building that is just of the Piece Gardens [a private apartment building I presume ].

How could this monstrosity have passed the council planners .

The building completely over powers the lovely square that houses the winter gardens and St Pauls hotel as well as the Lyceum and Crucible theatres.

Number three is the Mosque at Heeley a building so at odds with its surroundings as to be beyond belief .

The Green towers stick up into the sky as though they have been designed by an alien from another Planet and it is another build that has made no attempt to fit in with the traditional Sheffield landscape or area.

Any more contenders welcome.

No idea what building you mean at number one?

Agree with Number 2 - I think you mean St Pauls Tower. Too slab like for a skyscraper in my mind, and with awful grey edges, and brown cladding on the sides. Never a good mix. Don't mind the way it stands over the Peace Gardens and Tudor Square so much, but it did ruin the view up Leopold Street looking towards the Town Hall.

Number 3. Well, ultimately a Mosque that actually looks like a Mosque is rarely going to look like it fits in amongst pre-war british terraces, but actually I don't mind that one with regards how it sits amongst those houses. I think the bigger problem with it is the garish tones of yellow and green cladding on the walls and at the top of the minarets respectively. Looks a bit cheap.

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 00:13 ----------

This and this.

Yep, hate the Moorfoot Building. Seems to divide opinion though.

That church on Ecclesall Road; interestingly, the older church building still survives behind it. You can see a little sticking out in your picture, but looking from above in Google Earth gives a good idea of how that concrete facade sits in front of the older one.

No idea what building you mean at number one?

Agree with Number 2 - I think you mean St Pauls Tower. Too slab like for a skyscraper in my mind, and with awful grey edges, and brown cladding on the sides. Never a good mix. Don't mind the way it stands over the Peace Gardens and Tudor Square so much, but it did ruin the view up Leopold Street looking towards the Town Hall.

Number 3. Well, ultimately a Mosque that actually looks like a Mosque is rarely going to look like it fits in amongst pre-war british terraces, but actually I don't mind that one with regards how it sits amongst those houses. I think the bigger problem with it is the garish tones of yellow and green cladding on the walls and at the top of the minarets respectively. Looks a bit cheap.

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 00:13 ----------

Yep, hate the Moorfoot Building. Seems to divide opinion though.

That church on Ecclesall Road; interestingly, the older church building still survives behind it. You can see a little sticking out in your picture, but looking from above in Google Earth gives a good idea of how that concrete facade sits in front of the older one.

Some call no one the diamond .

Some call no one the diamond .

At first sight I'm not keen on that one, but I'll wait a while and see if it grows on me. I've mixed feelings on the University buildings in general. The two garish buildings near the roundabout (with bright coloured parallelogram shaped panels) are beginning to grow on me although I didn't like them at first. But I still don't like the pale green (verdigris looking) building near Leavygreave.

I think the University area buildings lack a common theme or any sort of design cohesion. But I do like the fact that they are at least trying to create something interesting.

Unlike such as the Court building at West Bar, where the designers dusted off their "Standard courthouse design" book, and showed no imagination at all.

Oh, the Diamond.

I'm fairly indifferent. I don't hate it, but I don't consider it to be anything like one of my favourite newer buildings in Sheffield. I do think a lot of people are deliberately hating it because of the whole Jessops thing.

Got to agree with Easter Sundae, mind. You can't claim that it's boring or unadventurous.