Is it pointless getting a pension?

Cuts are putting care under "stress and strain" and carers' efforts are being undermined, the chief inspector of adult social care in England has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33839878

I personally think elderly care should be paid by the NHS, as it is mostly a medical condition.

Is the problem that pensions are not high enough to cover a person care in old age, I understand the problem will get worse as more people get older.

We need a system that has enough funds.

I agree but good luck with that one.

My lovely Mum has Alzheimers Disease and is now in the end stage. She has been assessed by the NHS but doesn't qualify for funding by them - WHAT ?

As for the question whether it is worth paying into a pension then a crystal ball would be useful since if you are well beyond retirement a pension will pay for extras to make your life a little more comfortable. But if you become ill, any funds will be used for some time to fund your care in which case the answer has to be a resounding 'no'. Those without pensions or little money in their bank account will get their care paid for. That's the very unfair world we live in in the UK.

Edited by Daven

Sorry to hear about that; I guess if the NHS are doing the assesing, they are likely to refuse funding.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/downloads.php?categoryID=200310

It's really unfair.

My Mum was widowed at a relatively young age and had money squirreled away in various bank accounts - money she would say was for a 'rainy day'.

Well that rainy day came when she developed Alzheimers Disease and after trying our hardest for almost 18 months with carers going in as well as regular visits from family - the day came when she was just not safe to be living on her own and she had to go to live in a care home.

The care home is fantastic and she is still living there now almost 5 years later but most of the money in her bank accounts has gone to pay for her care. Only now after all this time will the Council start paying.

There are residents living in the same home who have never saved and have had the same care as Mum all paid for.

It's such an unfair system. It really doesn't pay to save if you are going to need care in the future. Enjoy your money while you are able to is my advice. This whole thing with Mum has been a massive learning curve for me.

Edited by Daven

My argument is that Dementia or Alzheimers are illnesses the same as any other and should therefore be covered by the NHS.

The NHS deems them to be 'illnesses of old age' and therefore they are not covered.

Yet if that were true all old people would get it, and no 40 year olds would get it, (yes they do.)

Surely this is discriminatory and ageist, which is illegal, and should be challenged in court.

My argument is that Dementia or Alzheimers are illnesses the same as any other and should therefore be covered by the NHS.

The NHS deems them to be 'illnesses of old age' and therefore they are not covered.

Yet if that were true all old people would get it, and no 40 year olds would get it, (yes they do.)

Surely this is discriminatory and ageist, which is illegal, and should be challenged in court.

Well we are certainly challenging the decision to refuse Mum funding retrospectively.

We are waiting for a tribunal. Mum is unable to tell us anything now but I know she would call them 'rob dogs' and we owe it to her to pursue the issue for as far as we can.

The care home is fantastic and she is still living there now almost 5 years later but most of the money in her bank accounts has gone to pay for her care. Only now after all this time will the Council start paying.

There are residents living in the same home who have never saved and have had the same care as Mum all paid for.

It's such an unfair system. It really doesn't pay to save if you are going to need care in the future. Enjoy your money while you are able to is my advice.

A lot of people, especially women, haven't been able to save money during their lives. If your mum did then she was lucky. The system is means-tested, meaning that your income and savings are taken into account. It protects those without financial means and requires those with means to pay their share.

Of course it only affects your mum because she needs care. It's stupid to say the system's unfair and it doesn't pay to save. In many cases people won't need care or perhaps not for years after retirement. They can enjoy the savings in the meantime, until they need care.

Care though should be provided by the NHS and paid for through taxation.

A lot of people, especially women, haven't been able to save money during their lives. If your mum did then she was lucky. The system is means-tested, meaning that your income and savings are taken into account. It protects those without financial means and requires those with means to pay their share.

Of course it only affects your mum because she needs care. It's stupid to say the system's unfair and it doesn't pay to save. In many cases people won't need care or perhaps not for years after retirement. They can enjoy the savings in the meantime, until they need care.

Care though should be provided by the NHS and paid for through taxation.

It's not just the fact that some pay and some don't, but the actual cost of care /residential homes (average £600+ per week, plus 'hotel' costs for bed and board,) is exorbitant, totally unfair and unjustified. And then family will have to chip in to pay the costs. Someone somewhere is getting very rich out of this.

An entire lifetime's work; of scrimping and saving to buy a small family home, can be wiped out in as little as 2 or 3 years to pay for a care home. And the actual quality of care is very poor in some cases. These old people have paid taxes into the system for many years. They deserve better. Cameron has also reneged on his promise to bring in a cap (although for your average people it wouldn't have made a lot of difference.) But you can bet he and the aristocratic Samantha, (one of the Astors) won't have to sell their stately pile.

It's not just the fact that some pay and some don't, but the actual cost of care /residential homes (average £600+ per week, plus 'hotel' costs for bed and board,) is exorbitant, totally unfair and unjustified. And then family will have to chip in to pay the costs. Someone somewhere is getting very rich out of this.

An entire lifetime's work; of scrimping and saving to buy a small family home, can be wiped out in as little as 2 or 3 years to pay for a care home. And the actual quality of care is very poor in some cases. These old people have paid taxes into the system for many years. They deserve better. Cameron has also reneged on his promise to bring in a cap (although for your average people it wouldn't have made a lot of difference.) But you can bet he and the aristocratic Samantha, (one of the Astors) won't have to sell their stately pile.

Many councils own care homes (Derbyshire county council do) and they charge the going rate. Some are state of the art, others aren't. But if it was such a money spinner they'd build loads wouldn't they?

Cuts are putting care under "stress and strain" and carers' efforts are being undermined, the chief inspector of adult social care in England has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33839878

I personally think elderly care should be paid by the NHS, as it is mostly a medical condition.

Is the problem that pensions are not high enough to cover a person care in old age, I understand the problem will get worse as more people get older.

We need a system that has enough funds.

I'm unsure how any of this is related to a pension. Most people don't retire and immediately need advanced medical care, so how would this make a pension pointless?

If you live in rented housing then yes, it is a waste of time saving for old age. I'm talking about low income people. When they retire their pension is deducted from any housing benefit or council tax benefit. I've met many people who have paid into a pension pot only to be no better of than those who havent worked all their lives.

I'd buy a new car to last into old age or maybe a caravan or timeshare with savings before you hit retirement and have saving below the maximum allowed. Prepare a few years before to make sure you are aware of your rights and entitlements.

Saving money is fine, you can spend it before you retire but a pension that pays you £100.00 per week will be reduced pretty rapidly when claiming benefits...

Use your loaf like the big boys do. Its time for you to play the system.