TV / television licensing MEGATHREAD

The TV licence is a tax, pure and simple.

Depends on how you want to look at it. Personally it's the one fee/tax I don't mind paying. By far the best value for money of any service I currently pay for.

It is revenue collected by the government exactly the same as any other tax.

Entirely untrue. The fee is collected by a private company on behalf of the BBC.

Central government agree an amount of funding that they will provide to the BBC in return for them providing a broadcasting service.

The amount collected from the licence fee has no bearing on the amount of money given to the BBC. It is the same as the road fund licence having no bearing on the amount spent on our roads.

Nope.

Entirely untrue. The fee is collected by a private company on behalf of the BBC.

Would you like to reconsider that remark?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/digital-media/5552477/BBC-licence-money-topsliced-for-first-time-to-fund-ITV-regional-news.html

BBC licence money 'topsliced' for first time to fund ITV regional news.

The BBC has been lobbying hard to keep its exclusive claim on the licence fee, but Mr Bradshaw said: "There is nothing that says the BBC must have exclusive rights to it."

Would you like to reconsider that remark?

Why? It is true (collected by a private company on behalf of the BBC).

The report you linked to is a current proposal for redistribution of the fee once paid by the users:confused:

Why? It is true (collected by a private company on behalf of the BBC).

The report you linked to is a current proposal for redistribution of the fee once paid by the users:confused:

I think you would need to clarify that a bit. If the money is collected on behalf of the BBC, and the BBC don't want it redistributed, how can a minister give away some of the cash?

The fact is that the licence fee is a tax. It is distributed by the Government as they see fit. Until now they saw fit for all the money to go to the BBC. Now they have changed their minds.

quote...

The BBC Trust, the corporation's governing arm, yesterday said it still opposed the government's proposals and would fight the plans strongly.

The trust said: "The licence fee has a clear aim, clear benefits, is clearly understood and has stood the test of time. Top-slicing would damage BBC output, reduce accountability and compromise independence.

"The licence fee must not become a slush fund to be dipped into at will, leading to spiralling demands on licence fee payers to help fund the political or commercial concerns of the day. This would lead to the licence fee being seen as another form of general taxation. The Trust will not sit quietly by and watch this happen."

Edited by anarchist

I think you would need to clarify that a bit. If the money is collected on behalf of the BBC, and the BBC don't want it redistributed, how can a minister give away some of the cash?

By changing the law, which has not yet happened.

The fact is that the licence fee is a tax.

A matter of opinion.

It is distributed by the Government as they see fit.

Completely untrue.

Until now they saw fit for all the money to go to the BBC. Now they have changed their minds.

Perhaps, but as yet the government can't do anything about it until the law is changed.

quote...

The BBC Trust, the corporation's governing arm, yesterday said it still opposed the government's proposals and would fight the plans strongly.

The trust said: "The licence fee has a clear aim, clear benefits, is clearly understood and has stood the test of time. Top-slicing would damage BBC output, reduce accountability and compromise independence.

"The licence fee must not become a slush fund to be dipped into at will, leading to spiralling demands on licence fee payers to help fund the political or commercial concerns of the day. This would lead to the licence fee being seen as another form of general taxation. The Trust will not sit quietly by and watch this happen."

Which would seem to confirm that the BBC and not the government currently control the distribution of the fee?

Edited by Magilla

Which would seem to confirm that the BBC and not the government currently control the distribution of the fee?

If that's what you want to believe.:loopy:

get rid of your TV and watch BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5 or any of the many other on line TV channels

no license required, the license is only for broadcast material from the BBC

If that's what you want to believe.:loopy:

Yeah, your own post confirms that you're completely wrong, and I'm the loopy one!

Probably would have helped if you'd bothered to read it *before* you posted it!

Edited by Magilla

So if the BBC and not the Government control the distribution of the funds, why do you think that the Government ministers seem to think that they can give some of this money to a rival organisation? If what you claim is true it would seem a very bizarre proposition.

Edited by wellyman

So if the BBC and not the Government control the distribution of the funds, why do you think that the Government ministers seem to think that they can give some of this money to a rival organisation?

Because they intend to change the law in order to enable them to do it!

As yet this hasn't happened, and as such ministers cannot touch the money no matter how much they may want to.

If what you claim is true it would seem a very bizarre proposition.

How is it bizarre?

I have made no proposition. Bizarre or otherwise. I've merely stated the facts as they stand today.

I didn't say they weren't going to change the law, just that it has not happened as yet.

Currently/today/this minute the BBC Trust controls the money from the license fee.

Edited by Magilla

Have you even bothered to read any of this?

For ministers to get their hands on this money, they must change the law. As yet this hasn't happened, and as such ministers cannot touch the money no matter how much they may want to.

How is it bizarre?

I didn't say they weren't going to change the law, just that it has not happened as yet. Currently/today/this minute the BBC Trust controls the money from the license fee.

Which law is that then?

Which law is that then?

There isn't one.

There are already proposals to take funds from the licence fee to subsidise the purchase of digital TVs for OAPs and people on low income. It all seems daft to me, as many of these people have already dipped into their own funds to buy the required kit.

Incidentally the World Service is a seperately funded arrangement directly paid for by UK taxation.