2015- July Budget

But we don't, hence for many its a useless degree and a complete waste of tax payer money. If a million people want to take a theology degree, I have no problem with them doing so if they are paying for it, the tax payer shouldn't be expected to fund it.

If 100,000 people with the right aptitude want to take a degree in medicine, I have no problem with it being funded by the tax payer providing there are jobs with in the NHS for them to take up after graduation and they are contracted to work within the UK for a period of years.

Now we're getting somewhere. There shouldn't be a problem with the taxpayer funding a certain number of Theology courses.

It isn't just a case of a degree being useful or useless. In practically every subject I can think of there is an economic demand for at least some graduates in those subjects.

I don' think we're fundamentally disagreeing, maybe only on the binary classification of degrees as useful/useless

Now we're getting somewhere. There shouldn't be a problem with the taxpayer funding a certain number of Theology courses.

It isn't just a case of a degree being useful or useless. In practically every subject I can think of there is an economic demand for at least some graduates in those subjects.

I don' think we're fundamentally disagreeing, maybe only on the binary classification of degrees as useful/useless

How do you decide who gets onto the state funded course and who has to pay?

For that matter how does the state decide how many spaces there should be, it's all getting a bit communist isn't it?

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 09:53 ----------

I've never been able to get this.... Medical courses are oversubscribed, and many newly qualified doctors find it hard to find work, yet we import doctors from abroad, who are needed in their own country, often at great expense.

Why is it that the NHS 'couldn't survive without bringing in people from foreign countries'?

What makes you think that Drs find it difficult to get work? I know lots of people who are in various stages of medical training. None of them have ever been out of work.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 09:54 ----------

A comment from the USA some years ago:

If you think education is expensive try ignorance.

Perhaps Jack Harkness could give us a few examples of useless degrees.

Edit

And a few easy ones.

David Bekham studies, and there's a degree in surfing available isn't there...

These are pretty spectacularly useless, if your intention is to find work after completing the degree.

For that matter how does the state decide how many spaces there should be, it's all getting a bit communist isn't it?

You don't have to have quotas. You just offer incentives.

It helps that career prospects following the more useful degree courses act as their own incentives. An information campaign could do a lot.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 09:53 ----------

What makes you think that Drs find it difficult to get work? I know lots of people who are in various stages of medical training. None of them have ever been out of work.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 09:54 ----------

These are pretty spectacularly useless, if your intention is to find work after completing the degree.

Not quite what it seems.

This from Wikipaedia on Micky Mouse degrees.

In 2000, Staffordshire University was mocked as providing David Beckham Studies because it provided a module on the sociological importance of football to students taking sociology, sports science, or media studies.[4] A professor for the department stressed that the course would not focus on Beckham, and that the module examines "the rise of football from its folk origins in the 17th century, to the power it's become and the central place it occupies in British culture, and indeed world culture, today."[4] This is of course a perfectly accurate description,[5] but presumably the objection is that it is inappropriate material for an undergraduate degree course.[

Which is arguable.

I've never been able to get this.... Medical courses are oversubscribed, and many newly qualified doctors find it hard to find work, yet we import doctors from abroad, who are needed in their own country, often at great expense.

Why is it that the NHS 'couldn't survive without bringing in people from foreign countries'?

We don't 'import doctors from abroad'. Some qualified doctors come into the country and are prepared to work harder, longer hours than those who qualify in the UK. The NHS limit medical school numbers based upon forecasts of how many doctors and dentists will be required. I do think those who claim we should do the same for other industries have a point.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 10:20 ----------

I am pro-austerity, but when it touches upon those that can not say their own piece is a sign of poor government. Also, these proposals are made now, so that in five years people will have possibly forgotten about it. :hihi:

Interesting that Harriet Harman said that Labour wouldn't be opposing the cuts. Much to the distaste of some of the other members of the party.

You don't have to have quotas. You just offer incentives.

It helps that career prospects following the more useful degree courses act as their own incentives. An information campaign could do a lot.

He specifically mentioned the state funding just a certain number of places on any given degree.

The alternative is to let market forces deal with it, if your degree costs you 9k a year then you're going to think a little bit more about how it will result in paid work after graduation.

Amusingly, my parents didn't think that there was a career in IT, so instead of just computer science, they convinced me to take combined honours with business administration.

I've worked solely in IT as a developer since graduating.

Of course I was lucky enough that fee's were still paid by the state, and I even got a small grant, although that wouldn't even cover my rent to be fair. My parents made up the rest and I worked during holidays to get some spending money. I graduated with just a single, low value student low, which I paid off a few years later.

There is not, and never has been, a degree in David Bekham (sic) studies. Interestingly, degrees in surfing studies are run world-wide. In the UK, there is now only a foundation course in 'surfing science', (i.e. not a full degree).

I think lazy forum users may need to research some other examples of 'mickey mouse' degrees. Perhaps the Disney Professor at Cambridge University could help out?

yet another one of your misinformed hair brained schemes...

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 16:17 ----------

how many MP's in south yorkshire?

give you a clue. Starts with N, ends with OWT.

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 16:32 ----------

"Thirteen million UK families will lose an average of £260 a year due to the freeze in working-age benefits, says the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS)."

Good, they will therefore have an inventive to go and get a job.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 11:18 ----------

Just when you think Labour might start to show reason.

Harriet Harman sparks Labour civil war by backing Tory welfare cuts

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/harriet-harman-sparks-labour-civil-6055902

Ms Harmon showing common sense and backing the majority of the British working public who are sick and tired of supporting the feckless and workshy.

If Labour keep this up they may well become electable.