Traffic lights with slats

The slats are there to make the lights only visible to the road user they are intending to control. They are usually there when there are another set of lights controlling a different part of the junction or slightly in front or slightly behind that one. It is so that you don't see the wrong lights and go when you shouldn't.

---------- Post added 12-06-2015 at 10:56 ----------

They are a pain but i think they are supposed to make the lights easier to see in bright sunlight. I could be wrong though.

as usual .....

The slats are there to make the lights only visible to the road user they are intending to control. They are usually there when there are another set of lights controlling a different part of the junction or slightly in front or slightly behind that one. It is so that you don't see the wrong lights and go when you shouldn't.

as usual .....

At least im honest about my stupidity.

as usual .....

If they are the ones I am thinking of...

On two separate occasions, several years ago, I'd been pulling out from the road at the side of Lidl (don't know its name) to turn right up Halifax Road. As I did so, a car set off from the lights going straight up Halifax Road as he had obviously seen the lights on the pedestrian crossing change to green, but not realizing that he was still held on a red.

The two events happened within a few days of each other, so I thought maybe something had changed regarding sequencing of the lights or the angle of the lights. I reported it via the Sheffield.gov web site. Since then, they have better slats which seem to work OK.

They are a pain and all over the Country :rant: I drive UK and whoever designed or decided that these were a good idea needs sacking.

On approach to junction/roundabouts the only light you can see (when lit is red) when the lights have failed (it does happen) no one has a clue because you can't see the damn things anyway :loopy:

I think the design is to make you creep at a ridiculous speed because you can't see amber and stop if safe to do so - you just see red (in more ways than one) and have to slam on :rant: Stupid.

They are a pain and all over the Country :rant: I drive UK and whoever designed or decided that these were a good idea needs sacking.

On approach to junction/roundabouts the only light you can see (when lit is red) when the lights have failed (it does happen) no one has a clue because you can't see the damn things anyway :loopy:

I think the design is to make you creep at a ridiculous speed because you can't see amber and stop if safe to do so - you just see red (in more ways than one) and have to slam on :rant: Stupid.

Despite the explanations above for their use, I completely agree with Bodie.Lets just have clear visible signals instead.