Please help- how do I use Brook Hill Roundabout (University)

Encountering those that do floor it, is what makes the roundabout unpredictable and dangerous. Once you are on the roundabout you have right of way so speed should be progressive and measured for the conditions of roundabout hazards (people pulling out in front of you) without having to brake.

Slow roundabouts are capable of getting a higher capacity throughput of traffic than light controlled junctions.

God no. The removal of the leppings lane roundBout is the most stupid piece of traffic management I've ever seen.

Amen to that. That roundabout worked just fine. If Sainsburys had of done their homework, they'd never have built that huge white elephant. Its the least busy supermarket i've ever been in.

Now we have a traffic light system that is totally unnecessary and causes more congestion than the roundabout ever did. bizarre :huh:

I've never understood the difficulty people have with that roundabout?

Yes it can be busy and you need to keep your wits about you, particularly when traffic starts backing up onto the roundabout due to the pedestrian crossing just onto Hanover St; but a bit of forward planning, reading the signs and road markings on approach so you're in the right lane, then looking at the traffic on the roundabout to anticipate whats going to happen so you can drive into a gap that's going to appear, rather than sit waiting for that gap to arrive (by which point it's often too late) isn't that hard is it?

I wonder if a lot of the flap about it is put on for show

I've never understood the difficulty people have with that roundabout?

Yes it can be busy and you need to keep your wits about you, particularly when traffic starts backing up onto the roundabout due to the pedestrian crossing just onto Hanover St; but a bit of forward planning, reading the signs and road markings on approach so you're in the right lane, then looking at the traffic on the roundabout to anticipate whats going to happen so you can drive into a gap that's going to appear, rather than sit waiting for that gap to arrive (by which point it's often too late) isn't that hard is it?

I wonder if a lot of the flap about it is put on for show

Getting into the right lane isn't the problem, it's avoiding being taken out by people in the wrong lane that can be difficult.

If youre approaching the roundabout and are turning left for Walkley you should be in the left lane. For Netherthorpe you are not turning left, it is classed as straight on. Pretty simple really - unless you are signalling left when you hit the roundabout, youre not turning left!

Use the left lane. Be patient and wait for a large enough gap and don't take any chances.

It's a weird roundabout because everybody seems to drive like Lewis Hamilton on it and I'm not sure why.

If youre approaching the roundabout and are turning left for Walkley you should be in the left lane. For Netherthorpe you are not turning left, it is classed as straight on. Pretty simple really - unless you are signalling left when you hit the roundabout, youre not turning left!

Pretty simple, yet you've managed to be wrong (underlined)

Im not wrong! left is for left turn!! straight on doesnt have to be 12 o'clock, it simply means not left!

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 22:30 ----------

Im not wrong! left is for left turn!! straight on doesnt have to be 12 o'clock, it simply means not left!

further more, if you are waiting at the next exit to get on to the roundabout and see a car in the left lane, you could set off goingm assuming they are turning left as per their lane markings, only to have them NOT turn off to the left and plough into the side of you.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 22:30 ----------

further more, if you are waiting at the next exit to get on to the roundabout and see a car in the left lane, you could set off goingm assuming they are turning left as per their lane markings, only to have them NOT turn off to the left and plough into the side of you.

I'd bet that over 95% of cars approaching in the left hand lane go down Netherthorpe Road and not sharp left towards Walkley.

You are wrong, and on two counts as it happens!

Look:

OK, look at this and explain the markings between the silver car (entering Walkley) and the black car (entering Nether LH Lane)... what is that dash for in the middle of the two cars?

clue: the left lane IS for Netherthorpe Road as well as Walkley

And second:

If youre approaching the roundabout and are turning left for Walkley you should be in the left lane. For Netherthorpe you are not turning left, it is classed as straight on.

If you were right and Netherthorpe is classed as 'straight on', then surely you can turn down Netherthorpe in the far right lane, as that also displays 'straight on' (you can see it just on this map).

Try and go 'straight on' down Netherthorpe Road from the right-hand lane, and if there is traffic can you record how it goes and post it??

:confused:

and people slag taxi drivers off!

Take the far right lane every time, then just plot a revolving elliptical path focused around the centre of the roundabout. When the major axis of your elliptical trajectory precesses to intersect with your preferred exit point, you can continue your journey.

I'd bet that over 95% of cars approaching in the left hand lane go down Netherthorpe Road and not sharp left towards Walkley.

Exactly Eater, because they're in the correct lane for it :)

(yes, you could go in lane 2 to get there as mentioned by a few, but I think it was established that this is riskier - not only that more importantly at some junction entries, the closer to the roundabout the longer you wait, and this is one of those cases)

e.g. It's the opposite when coming up Broad Lane to get to Walkley, hence why so many choose the far right lane going up then chance it by cutting up people who have queued up in the correct lane for longer. The reason for the right lane here being less used is because there are earlier better alternatives for most to get to the bottom of Netherthorpe.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 23:14 ----------

Take the far right lane every time, then just plot a revolving elliptical path focused around the centre of the roundabout. When the major axis of your elliptical trajectory precesses to intersect with your preferred exit point, you can continue your journey.

This works when coming clockwise around the ring-road at Bramall Lane roundabout, when you want to go straight ahead (one loop the loop=no danger and less queueing) :D