5 million population increase, is the UK close to breaking point?

they struggle don't they? I think Japan is considering building underground...of course a country the size of canada or Australia will be fine.
Canada is massive, but a good part of it is near uninhabitable. The same could probably be said about Aussie because of the desert outback. But what limits a country's ability is the job market or it's capability to feed its people. The UK could not do that without importing food from abroad. The USA and Canada can. Edited by buck

Canada is massive, but a good part of it is near uninhabitable. The same could probably be said about Aussie because of the desert outback. But what limits a country's ability is the job market or it's capability to feed its people. The UK could not do that without importing food from abroad. The USA and Canada can.

Canadas pop has gone up about 100% in recent years too...theres quite a nifty google widget for this.

I wonder how many more canada can take?

Canadas pop has gone up about 100% in recent years too...theres quite a nifty google widget for this.

Canada was able to let in 3 more in 1977 when we moved south. I lived in Quebec Province all but a year in Newfie, and refused to pay Quebec Church tax, So here we are.

they struggle don't they? I think Japan is considering building underground...of course a country the size of canada or Australia will be fine.

Why would they be fine? The Australian interior, enormous as it is, is uninhabitable. Intolerable temperatures, nothing but scrub and desert. The Australian population live around the coasts

Much of Canada's northern regions are uninhabitable due to a barren, hostile, very cold climate. Most of the Canadian population live in the southern part along the border with the US.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 17:40 ----------

Canada's population is around the same as the State of California's. Much of the new housing developments are called Townhouses. They are built together but very spacious inside with up to 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms, two car garages, private balconies, stainless appliances and solar heated.

They don't have any gardens though.

The globe is close to breaking point, never mind just Britain. Humans are a plague that just never stops giving.

Malthus thought there would be checks and balances and that when the population reached certain critical levels it would be reduced by war, famine or disease. It's not happened yet but if the global population keeps rising at the rate it is the whole planet is buggered.

The globe is close to breaking point, never mind just Britain... if the global population keeps rising at the rate it is the whole planet is buggered.

Er, no. That's a wholly over-the-top exaggeration.

Every single such prediction in the past has proved utterly unfounded.

Er, no. That's a wholly over-the-top exaggeration.

Every single such prediction in the past has proved utterly unfounded.

The consequences of global over population are already here so past predictions are not unfounded.