Strange and mysterious happenings!

I didn't say illiterate.

No, you didn't.

Well, I'll have to admit defeat. I do find it impossible to find the words what would even begin to describe my experiences, their intensity, the level of terror, despair and utter destruction they evoked. Totally off the scale.

This is like 25+ years ago now; and all that remains is a memory for me now; but it's like...

Imagine you lived your whole life blind, in fact, everyone is blind, and that was all we knew about the world, and formed the basis of our assumptions about reality.

Then, one day, just for one day, you (and you alone) could see. Everything you knew was shattered, and you were totally freaked out, all your points of reference on reality where destroyed. The very next day, blind again. Years, decades later; all you have is the memory of this strange experience of seeing. Your mind can't help itself, it needs to make rational sense of everything, and make sure it all fits with it's underlying paradigm, that the world is black, there is nothing to see...

It really doesn't help to talk of such things though; people generally think you're nuts. Which, I'm not at all, for the most part, I experience a deeply peaceful and settled state of awareness. Thankfully. I hope all here do too. :)

Most people here (not me) are extremely cynical of such things. So it's perhaps not a good place to discuss such things, given the ridicule such views will inevitably attract from the overly logical thinking types here...

It'd be a shame if people couldn't discuss weird things that had happened to them though. I would think most of us have had things happen that are hard to explain, you don't have to think that there must have been ghosts or aliens involved to say "Hey, this weird thing happened to me, let me share my story".

No, you didn't.

Well, I'll have to admit defeat. I do find it impossible to find the words what would even begin to describe my experiences, their intensity, the level of terror, despair and utter destruction they evoked. Totally off the scale.

This is like 25+ years ago now; and all that remains is a memory for me now; but it's like...

Imagine you lived your whole life blind, in fact, everyone is blind, and that was all we knew about the world, and formed the basis of our assumptions about reality.

Then, one day, just for one day, you (and you alone) could see. Everything you knew was shattered, and you were totally freaked out, all your points of reference on reality where destroyed. The very next day, blind again. Years, decades later; all you have is the memory of this strange experience of seeing. Your mind can't help itself, it needs to make rational sense of everything, and make sure it all fits with it's underlying paradigm, that the world is black, there is nothing to see...

It really doesn't help to talk of such things though; people generally think you're nuts. Which, I'm not at all, for the most part, I experience a deeply peaceful and settled state of awareness. Thankfully. I hope all here do too. :)

Have you tried the medium of dance?

No, you didn't.

Are you sure you didn't just take a really strong acid trip?? :hihi:

Joking aside.. I do believe there are people that are able to 'see' more than others, maybe they are able to use a part of their brains that is sensitive to such things. We all have it in us, but not all of us are able to tap into it.

My OH believes in Aliens!! BIG TIME! I think he's mental but he's adamant I'll be proven wrong one of these days :)

I'll quite gladly be proven wrong and apologise.

I do believe there are people that are able to 'see' more than others, maybe they are able to use a part of their brains that is sensitive to such things. We all have it in us, but not all of us are able to tap into it.

Maybe. Maybe it's something that comes and goes, at different times in our lives. I don't know. It wasn't really that I was trying to tap in to anything, it's more like, it tapped in to me ... and I would have much preferred it hadn't bothered!!

My OH believes in Aliens!! BIG TIME! I think he's mental but he's adamant I'll be proven wrong one of these days :)

I don't give the matter much thought, but I don't see why not; given, how vast the universe is. How many forms can the universe shape itself in to? Who knows?

I'll quite gladly be proven wrong and apologise.

There's nothing to apologise for! :)

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 16:10 ----------

Have you tried the medium of dance?

Absolutely! A bit of salsa, with a nice young lady, a chap can't go wrong! :)

There are certain bits of Sainsbury's that are noticeably colder than the room around them. It's always the same bits of the shop that feel that little bit colder than everywhere else; I get a shiver every time I walk through them. It's strongest near the open refrigerated displays.

• 1 year later...
I

Your logical rational mind (and mine too for that matter), likes (read: needs) to think that all experience can be rendered in to words and rationally understood, and fit neatly in to a particular (common) paradigm, way of interpreting reality that the vast majority of people on earth share. Anything that doesn't fit, it baulks at.

This is one way your mind might react, another would be...

No, you didn't.

I remember in my twenties once having an experience, laid in bed next to my wife, she was reading and I was staring at the ceiling, hoping to nod off. I began to feel a weight upon my body, like I was being held down, I couldn't move my body at all, couldn't move my arms, legs or even wiggle a finger. I tried to tell my wife but realised I couldn't speak either.

Talk about feelings of terror and despair!

Eventually it passed but obviously left me shaken. I'd always wondered about it until years later I started looking into the tricks your mind can play on you (when the internet came along). It turns out that all the symptoms matched perfectly with sleep paralysis, a perfectly natural phenomena with no woo involved.

Somebody more inclined toward the irrational may have sworn blind that it was a malevolent spirit holding them down.

Three things spring to mind and two can probably be explained rationally so no real belief in these things:

I'll post them in age order as in how recent they happened.

1, When I was around 14 my Mum and Dad had gone away for the evening and taken my younger brother with them, I had a friend sleep over, we were sat downstairs at around midnight and we were talking about ghosts etc as you do when you are young and want to scare yourself silly and jokingly I said "if there are any spirits in the house please knock once" nothing happened for what seemed like a while but about 3 minutes after there was a knock so loud I thought someone was at the door, no one was there. Then my mate said the same thing and there was an instant loud bang from upstairs. We tried again but nothing happened and it never worked again but both me and my friend experienced this.

2, Same house but I was way older, staying over at my Mum and Dads as I was out drinking in their local area (Aughton) I was about 29, my old room was at the far end of the landing and you had to walk across the top of the stairs to get to the toilet, around 3am I walked to the toilet and I swear there was a hooded person stood at the bottom of the stairs staring up at me, I looked away heart pounding, looked back and nothing was there. I searched the whole house thinking it may have been a burglar but found nothing. To add as well I did suffer from sleep paralysis a couple of times whilst I lived in this house and have not suffered with it since moving out, sleep paralysis is absolutely horrifying and recently my Mum admitted it has happened to her a couple of times as well. Strangely the house is not built on a grave yard haha or anything and is a new property where my parents were the first occupants.

3, Lastly and most recent and probably the weirdest as it really is a strange co-incidence. A work colleague of mine had been off long term ill, he was not a close friend in fact to be fair I barely knew him. I had only worked with him about 2 months before he was off for six month. I had not spoken of him or thought about him at all but this one night about 2 years ago I dreamt about him, quite vivid but nothing unusual I was in the office talking to him about his family and work etc it was very real, I woke from the dream around 3am and could not get back to sleep. Went to work tired and stressed opened my emails and saw an email from the director explaining that unfortunately the same colleague I had been dreaming of had lost his battle with cancer during the night. I was really freaked out and other than my wife and my Mum this is the first time I have mentioned it. A lot of my work colleagues who had been at the company longer than I have were very close friends with him and I do not know how they would react if I told them.

But that's the sum total of my weird experiences make of them what you will.

Edited by Danny_Boy