Adults crossing "on the red man" in front of kids

So what would you have me do then? Go looking for a child to show road safety to? I object to being called a hypocrite when all I'm doing is not demonstrating waiting for a crossing light if I'm not holding the hand of a child. I walk with a walking stick and can barely manage 50 yards most of the time, so I rarely cross any road, with or without people who are shorter than me.

If I'm not with children, why should I be doing things to demonstrate the green cross code as I would with a child?

Alright, if you think hypocrite is too strong, how about inconsistent ?

---------- Post added 19-06-2015 at 13:25 ----------

I'm afraid I don't think you can fairly ask adults to cross the road when you or a green man want them to. It is up to you as a parent to teach your children road safety rules, no one else. It is also up to you to tell your children that adults can do what they want at crossings and may chose to ignore the warning lights.

I do get what you're saying but you cannot tell adult strangers what to do because it makes your job as a parent easier.

I can only say I personally wouldn`t cross on the red man in front of kids before I was a parent, so the last comment isn`t quite accurate.

---------- Post added 19-06-2015 at 13:28 ----------

No it isn't! If I'm in a hurry and I'm approaching a crossing with little traffic around I will cross it. You can explain to your child that as a grown up I have learned to cross roads safely with or without a crossing whereas they have to wait.

It's just as important that children learn to respect that adults can do what they want when they want and will face the consequences. Children may be little people but the rules that apply to them don't always apply to the grown ups.

Just out of interest, what do you think about parents who (with their kids) push through a crowd of other parents waiting dutifully for the green man and cross in front of them on the red man (I see this regularly outside a local school). Do we agree they`re being ignorant ?

Alright, if you think hypocrite is too strong, how about inconsistent ?

---------- Post added 19-06-2015 at 13:25 ----------

I can only say I personally wouldn`t cross on the red man in front of kids before I was a parent, so the last comment isn`t quite accurate.

---------- Post added 19-06-2015 at 13:28 ----------

Just out of interest, what do you think about parents who (with their kids) push through a crowd of other parents waiting dutifully for the green man and cross in front of them on the red man (I see this regularly outside a local school). Do we agree they`re being ignorant ?

Absolutely agree with you there! I am a huge believer in manners and would never condone pushing in, with or without kids present. :)

This thread's hilarious:hihi:.

My kids have been raised responsibly from birth,they know how to cross a road in a responsible fashion(look both ways twice,use green man etc..etc).

But if my sons were to say "that man/woman is being naughty for not using the green man"(which they haven't),then they would have been told "that's his/her choice,and he/she is responsible for their own safety"

I guess its how you raise them really,if your the kind of parent that has raised a child to take advice and follow what complete strangers do,well .....:rolleyes:

(lets just hope these same parents don't let them watch soaps until they are 18,otherwise they will be doomed :hihi:)

Edited by SqueakyPete

This thread's hilarious:hihi:.

My kids have been raised responsibly from birth,they know how to cross a road in a responsible fashion(look both ways twice,use green man etc..etc).

But if my sons were to say "that man/woman is being naughty for not using the green man"(which they haven't),then they would have been told "that's his/her choice,and he/she is responsible for their own safety"

I guess its how you raise them really, if your the kind of parent that has raised a child to take advice and follow what complete strangers do, well .....:rolleyes:

(lets just hope these same parents don't let them watch soaps until they are 18,otherwise they will be doomed :hihi:)

To be frank I don`t think my son (2 years and 4 months old) would be capable of understanding such a concept.

To be frank I don`t think my son (2 years and 4 months old) would be capable of understanding such a concept.

And does your son of 2 years and 4 month ever have the opportunity to cross by himself?

If not,wheres the problem?:huh:,and if so,why are you not watching him?:rolleyes:

If your son was run over in the next few years for not crossing with the green man(god forbid),would you pass the blame onto the naughty man?:hihi:

As the previous poster alluded to, it's also unlikely that you make them walk across a road isn't it...

If they can't understand the concept of someone doing something wrong, then they also can't understand the concept of crossing safely.

I have read this thread incredulously. And honestly have no idea where to even start. Have to say here I'm with Cyclone, Gnomi etc. I find it incredible that anyone would think me irresponsible for crossing the road perfectly safely just because someone want's to wait for the 'green man'. What would you do if there was no crossing? Simply stay on the wrong side of the road? Or do what hundreds of mothers with pushchairs do and stick them out into the road hoping drivers will stop and let them cross?

But for me Squiggs has hit the nail perfectly on the head with the comments about 'mucky beer'. Just how many so called 'irresponsible' behaviours do you think your child is exposed to every week? Drinking? Smoking? Swearing? Getting a tattoo?Walking down the street whilst texting? Running with scissors...

Honestly, what you going to do? Ban every possible action that could result in your child seeing something you have told them is bad? As other people have stated, your children are YOUR responsibility and it's up to you to choose how to bring them up. My parents taught me what to do and not to do despite what others (and they themselves) often did as I'm sure yours did too. And guess what? We survived!

As if the green man is any kind of indication that you can cross the road safely. It's quite within the law to cross a road with the red man showing, it's the drivers that cross the line on amber and red that are the danger here, not pedestrians crossing the road in a normal fashion when (gasp) children might be watching.

As if the green man is any kind of indication that you can cross the road safely. It's quite within the law to cross a road with the red man showing, it's the drivers that cross the line on amber and red that are the danger here, not pedestrians crossing the road in a normal fashion when (gasp) children might be watching.

Quite.

If jaywalking were against the law maybe I’d agree with the thread but, I don’t really see the problem with crossing a road safely and legally in front of a child.

Exactly!

People crossing with the green man ignorantly should be more of a worry than the original "bad man":D.

Because people never run reds you know :gag:.