Steam trains through Sheffield

Fantastic ! GWR actually do "Footplate Training Days". Where you can learn to drive a steam locomotive or a diesel.

When I was a boy growing up in Ardwick Manchester, we use to play on the railway. A main line passed through Ardwick over the viaduct at the end of our street. We use to delight in putting pennies on the rail and watching them be squashed flat by a thundering steam locomotive. Fantastic days of daring-do

and high adventure ,scaling viaducts and being chased by the coppers -and getting a clip round the earhole for trespassing.The railway ways an irresistible

playground for a high-spirited Ardwick/Ancoats schoolboy.

I'm going to enrol on one of those GWR training days and take some classic steam passenger loco trips.

NB, For the safety conscious. There wasn't a chance of derailing a steam loco

with a copper penny on the line.

Thank you for the info.

I'd love to see the steam trains sometime, but am completely new to this. I don't really understand Annie's email -- are those the train numbers, and the times when they are due at Sheffield Station.

For a casual observer, is the station the best place to see the trains?

Annie - thanks so much for keeping us informed about the train news. Always appreciated!

Fantastic ! GWR actually do "Footplate Training Days". Where you can learn to drive a steam locomotive or a diesel.

When I was a boy growing up in Ardwick Manchester, we use to play on the railway. A main line passed through Ardwick over the viaduct at the end of our street. We use to delight in putting pennies on the rail and watching them be squashed flat by a thundering steam locomotive. Fantastic days of daring-do

and high adventure ,scaling viaducts and being chased by the coppers -and getting a clip round the earhole for trespassing.The railway ways an irresistible

playground for a high-spirited Ardwick/Ancoats schoolboy.

I'm going to enrol on one of those GWR training days and take some classic steam passenger loco trips.

NB, For the safety conscious. There wasn't a chance of derailing a steam loco

with a copper penny on the line.

Thank you for the info.

Talking of pennies on the line, has anybody still got any pennies 'squashed' by the last Sheffield tram? Quite a lot of people put pennies on the line at the time.

I'd love to see the steam trains sometime, but am completely new to this. I don't really understand Annie's email -- are those the train numbers, and the times when they are due at Sheffield Station.

For a casual observer, is the station the best place to see the trains?

Annie - thanks so much for keeping us informed about the train news. Always appreciated!

Rather than the actual station, you may be better on the grass bank overlooking the station near Park Hill flats, but may be busy and trouble parking.

You could also try Norfolk Bridge, crossing Attercliffe Road (junction with Leveson Street). You used to be able to get up to the platform there but I believe it is closed now. Stand down Attercliffe Road towards Tommy Wards (Tesco but not that far!) and look back to the bridge to get a good view of the 'steamer' crossing the bridge.

View as -

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3901738,-1.4502189,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg5rsJVvOEUeRi_ems9G9Ow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

- train should be from right to left.

As for times, according to the timetable, should be departing Sheffield Midland station at 09:00 am so should be crossing the bridge a few minutes later, due at Brightside at 09:09 am.

Edited by Phili Buster

There is Jenkin Road bridge - the train will go underneath on its approach to Meadowhall

Nearby there is also a footbridge (used to serve the old Brightside Station before Meadowhall opened) - entrance off Holywell Road (opposite Limspfield Road / Dearne Street) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4115548,-1.4232764,17z?hl=en

Hope these suggestions help some people

Edited by Bludragonfly

Th

The train should go through Platform 4 at Meadowhall - should be able to get parked in the top car park of the station at that time on a Saturday or park on the side street opposite Tyler Street and walk down the steps towards the station

If you want to get close you could park in a layby on Ecclesfield Road (known locally as Wooley Wood Bottom) - the train tracks run within a couple of metres of the track with just a fence between the parking and the track https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4279234,-1.4228686,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s64d_DdBdCc1JTB75ChJUdw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Hope these suggestions help some people

The train will not be going through platform 4 or Wooley Wood.

It will be travelling via Masboro' and Swinton.

The train will not be going through platform 4 or Wooley Wood.

It will be travelling via Masboro' and Swinton.

Thank you - I have corrected my message

I was going over to Wooley Wood bottom to watch myself so you saved me a journey. All I need to do now is open my bedroom window and I will be just 8 metres away - thank you once again :)