Your winter gas bill

So who else has had a large winter gas bill? It may not seem large by comparison to others, but there is only me in the house. CH room thermostat (located in passage) set at only 12 degrees which I find keeps the overall house temp constant. However, I do have the gas fire turned up in the room where I spend most of the time. 18 degrees in this room is plenty enough for me, I just like to be comfortable not too hot. Still, it is £265 on the bill received this week from an actual reading not an estimate.

I either need to beef up the loft insulation or get a tread-mill.:hihi:

Once had a gas bill from British Gas about 20 years ago and it was £400 per quarter rather than the usual £60. It was obviously wrong, but needless to say British Gas couldn't bring themselves to admit they were wrong. Then they wondered why I dumped them and will never go back under any circumstance

So who else has had a large winter gas bill? It may not seem large by comparison to others, but there is only me in the house. CH room thermostat (located in passage) set at only 12 degrees which I find keeps the overall house temp constant. However, I do have the gas fire turned up in the room where I spend most of the time. 18 degrees in this room is plenty enough for me, I just like to be comfortable not too hot. Still, it is £265 on the bill received this week from an actual reading not an estimate.

I either need to beef up the loft insulation or get a tread-mill.:hihi:

Had mine a couple of weeks ago, I also live alone and mine was £350 and keep thermostat at 20

For some reason our bill keeps going down, I can't work out why but every year we seem to build up credit, we check the meter frequently and it is correct, I can only assume our boiler is becoming more efficient with time!

Had mine a couple of weeks ago, I also live alone and mine was £350 and keep thermostat at 20

Kay, can I ask you what type of property is that. Flat/semi number of rooms etc?

I assume that these bills (that others are mentioning) are 3 month bills?

---------- Post added 13-03-2015 at 13:33 ----------

For some reason our bill keeps going down, I can't work out why but every year we seem to build up credit, we check the meter frequently and it is correct, I can only assume our boiler is becoming more efficient with time!

I don`t think that is the reason TZ.

The only way to know if you are using less gas (Kwhs) is to compare the amount of gas (not cost of bill) to previous years.

When you say you are building up credit, that sounds like you are paying a set amount each month (standing order) for example. If you are paying say £70 each month (£210 per quarter), and your bill is never more than say £200 per quarter, the only outcome mathematically is that you will build up credit.

Kay, can I ask you what type of property is that. Flat/semi number of rooms etc?

Mid Terrace 2 bedrooms, and it was a 3 month bill, (not estimated) I have heating on for a couple of hours when I get up and from about 1pm until I go to bed.

Just had a look at mine and its £136.95 + £6.85 VAT for the past 3 months.

The average per day is 23.1 kWh this bill compared to 23.2 kWh this time last year and I live in a 2 bed top floor flat, double glazed and decent loft insulation.

Thermostat in the hallway, which is a stupid place to have it, and set to 15c. Radiators in spare bedroom, utility room, kitchen and bathroom all off. Bedroom, hall and living room radiators have thermostatic controls and are set to medium.

New condenser boiler fitted about 9 months ago.

Hope that helps.

3 Bed Semi detached

Gas central heating only

6 Radiators

Set to 20 centigrade and never turned off or down through the year

Last 4 bills

Jan to Apr 2014 £202

Apr to July 2014 £88

July to Oct 2014 £56

Oct to Jan 2015 £224

---------- Post added 13-03-2015 at 13:33 ----------

I don`t think that is the reason TZ.

The only way to know if you are using less gas (Kwhs) is to compare the amount of gas (not cost of bill) to previous years.

When you say you are building up credit, that sounds like you are paying a set amount each month (standing order) for example. If you are paying say £70 each month (£210 per quarter), and your bill is never more than say £200 per quarter, the only outcome mathematically is that you will build up credit.

It is a standing order, every year we get it adjusted down to the 'correct' usage though. It could be, and I admit not having checked that, the fact that the first credit is simply being carried over all the time.