2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Eckington to Tinsley via the M1 earlier this evening, setting off around 7:30. Slow on the M1 and slushy or compacted snow.

Later, from Tinsley to Ranmoor, setting off at around 9:30. Stood for over 30 mins without moving at all on Derek Dooley Way, still not sure what the hold up was (somewhere near the crossroad midway between the Wicker and the Parkway). Several cars ahead on Ecclesall Road, near the tennis courts, appeared to be stuck so I turned around and went up Brocco bank and through the Endcliffe areas. These back roads were either compacted or fresh snow, which was OK. The big advantage of these roads was the lack of other cars getting stuck, so I had a clear run home.

Basically, the roads were not a problem.

Edit. BTW, my car is just a small 2WD city car, not 4WD, but it does have proper 4-season tyres (complete with snow marking). They do make a very big difference

Edited by Eater Sundae

Who do you complain to about ungritted main roads that are on high priority route? Thanks in advance if anyone as an answer

Edited by crazycatlady

Who do you complain to about ungritted main roads that are on high priority route? Thanks in advance if anyone as an answer

Errr...

The council.

Or Kia.

Or God.

The missis.

Anyone one on sheffield forum......

It's snowed...

Nobody's fault!

starting to think im the only person in the uk that knew it was going to snow today and checked the weather sites ???

starting to think im the only person in the uk that knew it was going to snow today and checked the weather sites ???

I filled the fridge and freezer....and now't happened. :)

Who the #g*£ do you complain to? A bit of snow in Stocksbridge as resulted in 2 felled trees blocking road and a phone wire hanging across road ooo and surprise surprise not not road gritted. Beyond a joke up here.. Its like we don't exist

Did you try driving in it? Even the 'clear' gritted main roads were pretty tough going.

Beyond a joke up here.. Its like we don't exist

Not really. Even if most roads had been gritted, tonight's snow still would have been an obstacle as snow always is. How much grit would you spread when it first lands, on minor roads or areas? Stocksbridge at night is hardly a priority as is any minor route in Sheffield.

When it falls fast like tonight, my gritters (if I was in charge) wouldn't be sprinkling Stocksbridge, it would direct them first to the bypass.

Lesser roads and backroads aren't likely to heavily used at night, so they can wait in line.

I was annoyed last year because it took Crookes ages to get gritted. I've since accepted that Crookes aint the be all and end all :hihi:

I would move it up the list though :D

Since we live in a very hilly city, we're always going to cop for worse conditions than flat/ low lying flat places regardless.

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 02:57 ----------

I filled the fridge and freezer....and now't happened. :)

Can you lend me some milk and bread? My road is clear, honest ;)

Edited by *_ash_*

You can't blame the council for not gritting, it would have cost them at least time and half and with all the savings they are having to make they may have had to let someone from middle management go.

Just had a tractor round the road, followed by the grit van. All the snow has been piled up at one side.

Anyone know the status of buses and routes they may be diverted to? Bit quiet on the public transport news, nothing on their website. I wouldn't mind but its been snowing since 7PM, you'd think they'd put something about possible transport for the 27th on there.

They were not open yesterday. They will likely update at 7am ish.

Just walked all the way up Abbeydale road. The roads seem very slushy, but not icy. Seems like there's a thaw happening. Can hear the sound of water running through drain/gutters. The roads look very drivable. And seen quite a few cars having no trouble at all.

Just walked all the way up Abbeydale road. The roads seem very slushy, but not icy. Seems like there's a thaw happening. Can hear the sound of water running through drain/gutters. The roads look very drivable. And seen quite a few cars having no trouble at all.

Anyone know what Halifax Road/Wadsley Bridge is like? Had to leave my car last night near Wadsley Bridge WMC and walk the rest of the way home. Don't want to go out, if it means another walk there and back because the roads are bad.