2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Radio Sheffield said secondary routes are getting nothing, primary routes allegedly clear.

Main roads are clear - side roads are passable with care and a bit of common sense and planning.

Just been speaking to someone who got stranded in S5 last night, spent the night on a friends floor and has driven to S8 this morning (without much trouble). This person has to drive back to S5 at lunchtime to start another shift - lets all remember those whose job means they have no option but to get there by whatever means and thank God for their dedication.

Edited by Daven

What do you want, Gritters or Information, with SCC you can't have both. :hihi: On Tiwtter it's been 11 hours since their last "update"...

FOR INFO Just seen a gritter go down Spout Lane very slowly and cautiously .......

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 09:24 ----------

Looking at the SCC traffic webcams it appears most main roads are passable.

FOR INFO Just seen a gritter go down Spout Lane very slowly and cautiously .......

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 09:24 ----------

Looking at the SCC traffic webcams it appears most main roads are passable.

I saw two in a four hour time frame between Wincobank/Hackenthorpe (last night).

I was with 10 other people helping to push cars to regain momentum on what I would call a minor upward sloping bit of road. It took very little for cars to lose all control and tires were just going round, slipping without result.

No surprise so many cars were abandoned, this snow was wet and sticky what makes it even worse for driving

Edited by dutch

Let us know how you go....

It took me 2 hours but I went straight down the M1 to junction 29 then along the A61, so my 38 mile journey turned into a 58 mile one. As soon as I tried to get up the slightest hill I got stuck so I ended up leaving it on Dronfield bottom and walked the rest.

In for 3am with a beer.

Any updates on Jenkin Rd ? My car is up the top and need to reclaim it before some scrotes do.

We got caught out in the snow last night and obviously we were pretty p****d off about it, but what made it really unacceptable was we`d checked the Teletext weather forecast (we had to take a relative back up to Knaresborough and it said the snow was forecast to arrive in Sheffield at 12.00 at night. Thus we thought we`d be fine to get back home for about 8.30PM. Ohh no. We were going past Wakefield on the M1 at not much past 8.00 when the snow started coming down really quite badly. By the time we got to Junc 36 it was unsafe to be doing much more than about 30mph, though that didn`t stop the usual imbeciles of course...... We got as far as Tankersley roundabout and there was standing traffic from there all the way down the A61. I won`t bore you with the full story but we didn`t get home till gone 10.00 having had to go all the way round and in via Attercliffe to try and find flat roads. But we never saw any gritters on the motorway and only one in Sheffield and that was at 10.00, way too late. It wasn`t even that cold last night between 8.00 and 10.00, my car was reporting temperatures between 0 and 2 degrees, if they`d gritted the M1 and the main routes in time there really wouldn`t have been much trouble at all.

Totally unacceptable.

If the gritters were working to similar weather reports to you, then they would have been delaying gritting to just before they expected the snow.

We were on the M1, but travelling north between Eckington and Tinsley, also having been caught out by snow earlier than expected. Most were driving to the conditions, just a few idiots. The biggest problem was probably trying to judge the lane markings.

Later we drove back from Tinsley to Ranmoor / Nether Green. Quite a slow journey, mainly due to other cars struggling. We finished up rerouting via traffic free minor back roads.

Halifax road to high green........

had to leave the car near argos halifax road last night

does anyone know if halifax road is clear for me to pick it up and get back to high green?

thanks all

don't people listen to weather reports ? don't people take notice of weather advice about not travelling ? this snow was tipped to come yesterday from early onwards yet still people took the gamble to drive :loopy:I live on a steep hill in Rotherham and the slightest bit of snow and it becomes undrivable to get up/down yet spent last night looking at idiots trying the impossible. these idiots cause not only problems for themselves but for the people who live on the hill with crashing into parked cars/walls/lampposts etc :loopy: there rant over :hihi:

I was with 10 other people helping to push cars to regain momentum on what I would call a minor upward sloping bit of road. It took very little for cars to lose all control and tires were just going round, slipping without result.

No surprise so many cars were abandoned, this snow was wet and sticky what makes it even worse for driving

It's got nothing to do with the type of snow.

The modern summer tyre fitted to the vast majority of UK cars is simply not suitable for cold and snowy conditions.

I had to drive with my wife and kids from Barnsley to fulwood at 7 pm last night.

Was chaos at brookhill roundabout and obviously very jammed heading towards children's hospital and broomhill so went down crookes valley road (where we had to wait as lots of people turning round here), then up crookesmoor road, up crookes road and up lydgate then up sandygate.

Easy peasy , why? SNOW TYRES. They are amazing.

If the gritters were working to similar weather reports to you, then they would have been delaying gritting to just before they expected the snow.

We were on the M1, but travelling north between Eckington and Tinsley, also having been caught out by snow earlier than expected. Most were driving to the conditions, just a few idiots. The biggest problem was probably trying to judge the lane markings.

Later we drove back from Tinsley to Ranmoor / Nether Green. Quite a slow journey, mainly due to other cars struggling. We finished up rerouting via traffic free minor back roads.

That had occurred to me, but you`d think they would be keeping a closer eye on the forecast wouldn`t you ! If a gritter had gone down the A61 as late as 8.00 I don`t think any of those hold ups would have happened. Like I said it wasn`t actually that cold last night.

Edited by Justin Smith

don't people listen to weather reports ? don't people take notice of weather advice about not travelling ? this snow was tipped to come yesterday from early onwards yet still people took the gamble to drive

Not everyone "took the gamble" and had to travel for one reason or another.