2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

don't people listen to weather reports ? don't people take notice of weather advice about not travelling ? this snow was tipped to come yesterday from early onwards yet still people took the gamble to drive :loopy:I live on a steep hill in Rotherham and the slightest bit of snow and it becomes undrivable to get up/down yet spent last night looking at idiots trying the impossible. these idiots cause not only problems for themselves but for the people who live on the hill with crashing into parked cars/walls/lampposts etc :loopy: there rant over :hihi:

I checked Teletext at about 1.00PM yesterday. It not only said the snow wasn`t forecast to arrive in Sheff till midnight it reported that the temperature was only going to be around freezing, that`s not that cold provided there some grit down.....

It's got nothing to do with the type of snow.

The modern summer tyre fitted to the vast majority of UK cars is simply not suitable for cold and snowy conditions.

I had to drive with my wife and kids from Barnsley to fulwood at 7 pm last night.

Was chaos at brookhill roundabout and obviously very jammed heading towards children's hospital and broomhill so went down crookes valley road (where we had to wait as lots of people turning round here), then up crookesmoor road, up crookes road and up lydgate then up sandygate.

Easy peasy , why? SNOW TYRES. They are amazing.

Agreed, winter tyres make a huge difference, but modern cars have to meet CO2 targets, it's all about stopping Global Warming don't ya know!

Lower rolling resistance means less grip in winter. However snow was going to be a thing of the past according to Dr David Viner (in yr 2000)

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html

The modern summer tyre fitted to the vast majority of UK cars is simply not suitable for cold and snowy conditions.

I had to drive with my wife and kids from Barnsley to fulwood at 7 pm last night.

Was chaos at brookhill roundabout and obviously very jammed heading towards children's hospital and broomhill so went down crookes valley road (where we had to wait as lots of people turning round here), then up crookesmoor road, up crookes road and up lydgate then up sandygate.

Agreed

I did almost the same journey this morning. Proper snow tyres are amazing.

The biggest problem is being held up by those who still have summer tyres. Need to keep spreading the word. Once everyone has suitable tyres for the conditions, then everyone can get around.

Last night there was someone 3 or 4 cars in front of me who needed a couple of shoves to help him get enough traction to get moving on a flat section of Ecclesall Rd ( near Nonna's). I'd hate to think how they'd get on when they come to a hill. I saw cars struggling around the rise near the junction with Rustlings Rd, so I did a U turn and went up Brocco Bank. Hillier, but no other traffic, so a clear run.

Not everyone "took the gamble" and had to travel for one reason or another.

if its not an emergency don't travel

Just a quick note to upset fellow posters, I engaged 4 wheel drive and just carried on as normal. It needs much more snow than last night to stop a Landcruiser Amazon, even if it is 15 years old.

Helped to tow a couple of neighbours out this morning as well, they were both well pleased.

Angel1.

Agreed, winter tyres make a huge difference, but modern cars have to meet CO2 targets, it's all about stopping Global Warming don't ya know!

Lower rolling resistance means less grip in winter. However snow was going to be a thing of the past according to Dr David Viner (in yr 2000)

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html

Yes, I think this is a key point. Instead of being fitted with general purpose tyres, when new, cars are now being fitted with lower rolling resistance summer tyres.

I checked Teletext at about 1.00PM yesterday. It not only said the snow wasn`t forecast to arrive in Sheff till midnight it reported that the temperature was only going to be around freezing, that`s not that cold provided there some grit down.....

I read it was due about 8 oclock so I guess one of us got it wrong :suspect:

It also means higher MPG, it isn't all to do with CO2 you know, fuel is expensive and cars get sold on the premise of having good fuel efficiency.

I'd watched the weather forecasts on BBC news channel, during the morning, which showed the snow arriving much later than it did.

It was definitely 12.00 in the evening when I checked at about 1.00 yesterday afternoon. For various reasons we don`t need to go into I check the weather forecast very regularly and I`ve noticed it`s least accurate for sun/cloud, and then for precipitation. It`s usually more accurate for temperature, and it was fairly accurate for that last night, thus I assumed there wouldn`t be that much of a problem but still aimed to get back home early just to be safe. The thing that caused all the problems last night was there was no grit down because temperatures around zero should not normally cause conditions that bad provided there`s grit down, but there was none, even on the M1 for Gawd`s sake ! ! !

normanton hill at the bottom is single lane due to a thicky couple that has just left ther car next to a taxi instead of rolling back and dumping it,its faceing uphill wrong side off the road, this was at 10pm last night so cars comeing down now have to stop to let 1 car thro, and a big thanks to the car that went from fullwood to west bar leaving a 700 yard space all the way to the old jessops the gap he left was from the childrens hospital to the traffic lights at brook hill before he set off at 2mph.

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 10:19 ----------

ps sheffield gritters 1 out of 10,you need to be gitting at 6pm not 2am