Debt collectors letter..

I've been contacted by a debt collection agency about a debt.

The account is a mobile phone bill which was taken out over 10 years ago in 2004.

The letter I got was more of a fishing one, not asking for payment.

I called them and asked for more proof the account was mine bar the name

I responded and said can I have a copy of signed credit agreement. They were reluctant to talk about civil rights over the phone and asked me to write in (I'm aware of tactics these companies can use from my own research)

I received a response today. They said "as I was in a Service Agreement (not a Credit Agreement) therefore they are unable to provide any copy agreements/contracts and have no obligation to do so."

...Please contact us immediately blah blah...

What else is annoying is the letter is dated 3rd December. Not sure if that's a dirty tactic to say they contacted me then or if the Royal Mail are just backlogged with it being peak time of the year, lol!

So..

They haven't proven that contract is mine. They only have my name. The bill is a little over £100, which if proven is mine I'll happily set up a plan to get it paid off, but until they prove it's mine, can I refuse to pay?

Didn't think debts over 6 years old could be persued???

worth a google at least!

Of course they can.

To the OP, sounds like they don't have a cohesive case. Try to gain some advice from a place like.... ma? I seem to recall adverts about a money advice network set up by the government, can't recall the name though so the adverts were pretty poor...

Of course they can.

To the OP, sounds like they don't have a cohesive case. Try to gain some advice from a place like.... ma? I seem to recall adverts about a money advice network set up by the government, can't recall the name though so the adverts were pretty poor...

They can't. (12 years for a mortgage though). If they haven't acknowledged the debt for six years, you just write back indicating that the debt is statue barred.

Although it exists, it cannot be enforced in the courts.

Of course they can.

Are you sure about that..I don't think it's that black and white..

"Statute Barred

A debt is considered Statute Barred if a creditor has not contacted a debtor for a period of 6 years and no action has been taken on the account.

Although the debt is still legally acknowledged as being owed, the creditor is not able to take any legal action against the debtor in order to recover the debt. "