How long until Cannabis is legal in the UK?

This thread has certainly brought the smackrats out of the closet hasn't it. Zero tolerence is the only way forward with long term impriosonment as dished out in Thailand and surrounding countries. Its the same old posters on SF who seemed to be obsessed wijth the stuff ...losers!

Where does the Right stand on the state interfering with individual freedoms these days?

These threads are comical. You can split the posters into 3 groups

Existing cannabis users who want it legalized.

Non users who don't give a damn either way.

Non users who are anti.

Those in the first and last group will never see eye to eye, and may as well just not bother posting unless they like the arguments.

my prediction is this. for ALL the posters currently on this forum. it will not be legal during out lifetimes. Governments move slowly, and its not on their agenda to bring in any legislation what will upset the countries financial backers.

I don't know how old you are, but I think it will be legalised within the next decade. I'm only in my early 30's, so I think I'll get to see it :)

I reckon there is more chance of drug tests at work becoming a legal requirement before cannabis is made legal as this could lead to harder drugs to self harm with. The denial shown so far is evidence of groomed users.

Non users who are anti.

Those in the first and last group will never see eye to eye, and may as well just not bother posting unless they like the arguments.

You left out those of us who don't smoke it but want it legalised.

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 14:26 ----------

I reckon there is more chance of drug tests at work becoming a legal requirement before cannabis is made legal as this could lead to harder drugs to self harm with. The denial shown so far is evidence of groomed users.

How would legalised cannabis lead to harder drugs?

Evidence of groomed users? Care to explain what you mean by that?

Drug tests are already exist in the industries that require them and rightly so.

I'm not a user of anything except alcohol and caffeine. And you realise that you're talking complete nonsense? There is no evidence to support your opinion.

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 17:05 ----------

Non users who are anti.

And the majority, those who don't use it, but think it should be legalised. You know, the rational position to take...

1/3rd of adults have tried it at some point. They may not really care anymore, the ones who stopped probably did so partly because of the legal position though.

They do give a damn about taxes though, and the war on drugs is a massive sinkhole for money. And it's not even the best way to minimise harm in general. So it's a failed policy, it can't work, it costs a huge amount and there are better, cheaper options. That they'd care about.

most of the adults i know that tried it and stopped did so because it was something "everyone" in university tried. like blue hair lol.

they tried it. moved on.

and just to be pedantic 1/3 is not majority.

Tried it then moved on? That doesn't sound like they were getting involved in a destructive, addictive drug then?

Statistically speaking you probably have, it's just they aren't likely to advertise the fact. Not good for the career.

I have used all sorts. I know colleagues who have tried pot, but none of them still actively use it. He was using the active tense though, implying that half my colleagues' first action at home is rolling a spliff. They don't.

Dream on, it'll never happen. It has been a failure in Portugal where the streets are infested with down and out addicts, when you legalise class C drugs you reduce the criminality of Class A and B, society and infrastructure then collapses.
I thought the 2001 drug policy had been quite a success in Portugal! And I didn't think that they had quite legalised class c drugs anyway.

have we got the mental health budget to deal with the influx of paranoid schizophrenic,s due to canabis abuse ?

have we got the mental health budget to deal with the influx of paranoid schizophrenic,s due to canabis abuse ?

Why would there be an increase? Any tenuous links that have been found between cannabis and mental disorders have only been found through chronic use, not occasional recreational use.