Brain tumour 5 year old taken by parents

I thought the father said other medical experts (from countries where the treatment is available) gave opinions which conflicted with the UK doctor's (forget his name) view?

I think we need to get several medical experts presenting their views re: the suitability and efficacy of this new treatment; and if most are saying it's good, very stern questions need to be asked of the UK doctor.

I'm wondering if there's a financial motive here? The NHS not wanting to fork out for more expensive treatment? There was another mother on the BBC news (breakfast show or something) this morning saying her son has this new treatment, which worked very well in his case.

---------- Post added 31-08-2014 at 15:16 ----------

Also, I felt the father came across very well on the video. Didn't seem religiously motivated at all, just a parent wanting the best possible treatment for his child.

Could it be that this is also about embarrassment for Nice and the government having to admit that cancer treatment is better abroad than our 'best in the world' NHS?

Could it be that this is also about embarrassment for Nice and the government having to admit that cancer treatment is better abroad than our 'best in the world' NHS?

Are you suggesting that NICE are behind the arrest warrant, and the surrounding publicity with the case. I know someone who help produce some NICE guidelines, do you want me to find out if he's part of the conspiracy?

Could be Anna...

Sky News just had an expert on saying how if the cancer has fragmented, then the pinpoint nature of proton beam therapy, wouldn't work so well, and a brute force approach would be more appropriate. Something along those lines.

I believe that it is morally wrong to keep the parents away from their son Ashya, when it may be the last opportunity they have to enjoy the company and lasting memories of their 5 year old son.

Jehovah's witnesses know that blood transfusions are a good thing, but they cannot bare to go against their church leaders and what they perceive to be the feelings of other JWs, so they breath a sigh of relief when a court issues an order for treatment to go ahead because their child will live. The best bit for them is that because the decision to treat was not theirs and went against their expressed wishes, the god who loves them all so much won't feel the need to burn them in Hell for all eternity!

---------- Post added 31-08-2014 at 21:06 ----------

I believe that it is morally wrong to keep the parents away from their son Ashya, when it may be the last opportunity they have to enjoy the company and lasting memories of their 5 year old son.
And I believe that it is morally wrong for the parents to deny their child a fighting chance for survival and possible cure! They are clearly very ignorant of the treatment on offer, saying that they want him to have "proton beam" therapy instead of having him "pelted with radiation"! D'oh! What exactly do they think proton beams are?

And like they'd find better healthcare in the Czech Republic! :rolleyes:

They are clearly very ignorant of the treatment on offer, saying that they want him to have "proton beam" therapy instead of having him "pelted with radiation"! D'oh! What exactly do they think proton beams are?

And like they'd find better healthcare in the Czech Republic! :rolleyes:

The treatment is a type of radiation therapy that uses beams of protons - or small parts of atoms - rather than high energy X-rays, as with conventional radiotherapy.

The protons can be directed at a tumour more precisely than X-rays and unlike conventional treatments the beams stop once they hit the target, rather than carrying on through the body.

Experts say this causes less damage to surrounding tissue and reduces side-effects.

Once again the NHS proves itself a disgrace.

As for the media reporting that has been pathetic today on this story. Poor family. I hope they get real treatment for their child.

Once again the NHS proves itself a disgrace.

As for the media reporting that has been pathetic today on this story. Poor family. I hope they get real treatment for their child.

No it doesn't ! What a silly thing to say.

Have you actually bothered to read ANY of this thread or researched the story in any way ?:rolleyes:

We have only the fathers side of the story naturally full of emotion but biased. The Consultant oncologist and neurosurgeon who were treating the boy in Southampton have all the facts but will unable to speak openly because of patient confidentiality. Until they are able to do so no one is in a position to criticise their actions.

As a parent I understand why the parents did what they did but the medical people have a duty of care and if they believe that the parents actions will impact on the childs welfare in a bad way they HAVE to act - they have no choice.

Edited by Daven

What a nightmare for the family with such wrong reactions from organisations supposed to help.

What a nightmare for the family with such wrong reactions from organisations supposed to help.

Can you explain 'wrong reactions' ? Genuine question.

Edited by Daven

No it doesn't ! What a silly thing to say.
It is getting very dysfunctional, there's no denying it.

Unrelated to the matter of this thread, and apologies for going on a tangent, but since this weekend I have started assisting our neighbour's family with 2 fairly grave matters involving the NHS, one in relation to undue (non trivial-) payment demands under threat of legal proceedings, the other in relation to aggravated breach of trust and theft by a registered carer. I have now involved the police and the relevant trusts.

I hadn't ever had much to do with the NHS (and luckily of course), but so far it's turned into quite the eye opener. Not in a good way.

As said previously, you couldn't understand without being in that position so don't even try to think you could work it out. An accident is a catalogue of errors, what is it called when done by multiple agencies?